Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

1979-1984 Pirates Gold Jersey question

All,

I have just picked up one of these in a lot, and I understand that it was worn by the bat boy. I'd like to accurately restore it... but as you're aware, just about all of the gold jerseys of this era have had their nameplates stripped off. What would have been on the back of this jersey? Did they put the name of the bat boy? the word "bat boy"? anything else?

Many thanks
    Nick
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Banned

Lightbulb Re: 1979-1984 Pirates Gold Jersey question

Quote Originally Posted by TNTtoys View Post
    All,

I have just picked up one of these in a lot, and I understand that it was worn by the bat boy. I'd like to accurately restore it... but as you're aware, just about all of the gold jerseys of this era have had their nameplates stripped off. What would have been on the back of this jersey? Did they put the name of the bat boy? the word "bat boy"? anything else?

Many thanks
    Nick
    I think it was a plated BAT BOY NOB. Strip tagging in the tail (if it's a Wilson) could provide a clue. Also, the gold jerseys in 1977 (Rawlings) and 1978 (Wilson) did NOT use NOB's...players or batboys. The NOBs were added in 1979 when the NL added a regulation that any jerseys worn on the road would have to add NOBs.

Dave Miedema

Re: 1979-1984 Pirates Gold Jersey question

Nick, in the 1979 World Series, the Bat Boy's jersey had a BB on the back. Youtube has a video of Kent Tekulve getting the final out of game 6 and the team comes to congratulate him, you can see the back of the Bat Boy. I'm not sure how to post a Youtube link here but you should be able to find it.

Re: 1979-1984 Pirates Gold Jersey question

Quote Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
    Nick, in the 1979 World Series, the Bat Boy's jersey had a BB on the back. Youtube has a video of Kent Tekulve getting the final out of game 6 and the team comes to congratulate him, you can see the back of the Bat Boy. I'm not sure how to post a Youtube link here but you should be able to find it.
    All,

Jim texted me the link to the youtube video, where you can clearly make out the back of the bat boy's jersey. There is no name or nameplate; just a large BB in the center. Looks like the jersey will not need any customizing at all.

Thanks,
    Nick
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Banned

Smile Re: 1979-1984 Pirates Gold Jersey question

Quote Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
    Video looks more reliable than my memory

Glad you found it.

Dave M.