Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Value / Usage Differences Between Jersey Sets (Baseball)

I'm new to collecting game worn baseball jerseys and I have some questions regarding different jersey sets:

When comparing the different sets of same type of jersey (same year, team, style)..

A. Is set #1 worth more and/or have more usage than set #2 usually?

B. Are different sets worn during different periods of the season (like in the NHL) or is set #1 the primarily worn jersey of that style and higher #'d sets are simply backups?

C. Are all sets of a jersey style typically game worn (barring injury, trade, reassignment)?

Many thanks in advance!!

Banned

Lightbulb Re: Value / Usage Differences Between Jersey Sets (Baseball)

Quote Originally Posted by Morningsider View Post
    I'm new to collecting game worn baseball jerseys and I have some questions regarding different jersey sets:

When comparing the different sets of same type of jersey (same year, team, style)..

A. Is set #1 worth more and/or have more usage than set #2 usually?

B. Are different sets worn during different periods of the season (like in the NHL) or is set #1 the primarily worn jersey of that style and higher #'d sets are simply backups?

C. Are all sets of a jersey style typically game worn (barring injury, trade, reassignment)?

Many thanks in advance!!
    I'll try to help as best I can:

A&B: It can be, but not always. I believe the idea that set 1s are worn earlier and set 2s later only applies in a constant fashion with the NHL. For example, when Steiner had a short GU deal with the Cubs, one of the items they had which later was offered on eBay was an Opening Day home gamer of Derrek Lee. It was a set 4.

C: On older jerseys, normally. However, extra sets may or may have been worn or merely issued...there is no hard, fast rule on this. I have authenticated two Chipper Jones 2012 Braves jersey that were sets 11 and 15, respectively, as both showed easily discernible wear, while I bought a set 10 White Sox jersey of A. J. Pierzynski from Goodwill a few years ago, it was MLB authenticated as team-issued and autographed, as the signing took place on 2/28, and the Sox don't wear their game jersey until the regular season.

ALSO: Set numbers can mean different things with some suppliers than others. Most suppliers use them to differentiate them in inventory. Rawlings, though they number strip tags in their gamers for the same reason, use set numbers as a chronological indicator on their flag tags. Most flag tags are set 1 because they were included in the team's original order. Set 2s aren't nearly as easily found, because that set number on the flag tag indicates that the jersey was ordered later in the year.

In addition, 3 Texas Rangers players in 2000-02 (A-Rod, Palmiero and Pudge Rodriguez) ordered extra sets to resell themselves. Those are tagged set 3, although many collectors believe that a lot of them were not actually worn. Also, these three players for those 3 years are the only ones I have ever seen, and they were privately ordered. I have never seen a Rawlings jersey, game-used or team-issued, that was a set 3 outside of these.

I hope this helps.

Dave Miedema