Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Ethical Selling?

This is a hypothetical question but I'm curious to see how members here feel about this scenario. An item is listed in the classifieds here and the seller receives an email from a member wanting to purchase his item for his asking price but before the seller replies he also receives an email from another member saying he'll pay more if you sell to me.

Is this ethical? Does it make the individual who emailed and offered more a shady member? Does it make the seller shady?

How many of you would sell to the member who contacted you first for your asking price and how many would take bids on the item?

This has happened to me twice on here with items in the classifieds so I am curious what everyone thinks. It didn't really bother me all that much but I'm sure some have a different take. For me I just avoided that member when it came to purchases and potential sales. I've already learned my lesson on asking questions about auction items . It seems to be a sure way to get an item sold that's been running for weeks but you'll have an opportunity to buy it again a week later for double the original asking price.

Re: Ethical Selling?

For me i have never had that situation pop up on here.

If i got two messages and one is an offer to buy at asking (first message) and one is an offer to buy at a higher price i would probably sell to buyer iam more comfortable with. There are some people on here who i would avoid like the plague so it would depend on the buyer.

Sounds like it was not priced right...

Kind of just happened to me with the Chipper bat. If the seller had contacted me and said he got a better offer, I would have understood but would have asked to at least match it since I said I wanted it first. It that is what happened...he may have just got another email from someone who paid. Not sure, as he never responded to me or on here. I understand making more money, but at least communicate. He never replied to my emails, but answered quickly when I asked about his other item from a phone text/email.

As a seller, I have always honored the price I set it at and the first person who contacted me...including waiting on that person to respond if they wanted or not before contacting the next person who posted.

Quote Originally Posted by buc View Post
    As a seller, I have always honored the price I set it at and the first person who contacted me...including waiting on that person to respond if they wanted or not before contacting the next person who posted.
    +1
    That's both the ethical and honorable thing to do. Few things are worse in this hobby than a seller (or buyer) not keeping their word, except maybe the person who made the higher offer in an attempt to usurp the original deal. It never ceases to amaze me how ethics and doing the right thing just do not seem to come natural for some folks in this hobby.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Quote Originally Posted by buc View Post
    including waiting on that person to respond if they wanted or not before contacting the next person who posted.
    If someone else buys before someone else responds back, that is on the procrastinator.
    I do not wait on others to make up their mind.
    Thank you,
    David

This is my email address here!
    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Banned

Cool Re: Ethical Selling?

Quote Originally Posted by camarokids View Post
    If someone else buys before someone else responds back, that is on the procrastinator.
    I usually give the procrastinator 24 hours, and then place the item open again if he/she doesn't respond by then. I see your point though, David, it sucks to have to sit and wait while one person makes up their mind. If someone asks a question, however, I don't consider that sufficient cause to place an item on hold. I just had that recently with an item I listed on GUU. Two people emailed quickly to ask question, with neither committing to buying the item. A third buyer purchased it, an a good thing, as neither of the first two ever responded, yes, no, or otherwise.

Dave Miedema

[QUOTE=camarokids;410542]If someone else buys before someone else responds back, that is on the procrastinator.
    I do not wait on others to make up their mind.[/

In the case of the Chipper, I did not procrastinate. I said I wanted it and asked for his email. As a seller, though, I would wait or at least ask if someone said they wanted it (not just said send photos). Not everyone can get to a CPU to respond right away. To each his own, but I try to treat others how I would like to be treated.

Quote Originally Posted by camarokids View Post
    I hear you with regards to procrastinators, tire kickers, etc. I was not talking about folks simply responding to the ad, asking for photos, etc., I was speaking specifically about situations where there is an oral or written confirmation stating that they will buy the item. Once that commitment is made, there is an obligation for the Seller to make good on their promise, just as there is an obligation for the Buyer to make payment. Granted, I am not going to "hold" the item indefinitely once they commit to making the purchase. I typically give a buyer 7 days to make payment, and I usually make that point clear in our correspondence, especially if it is someone I do not know.

My favorite story (and most frustrating) was years ago when someone approached me about a very inexpensive jersey on my price list. Every few days he would ask me a question about the jersey. First, he wanted some general information, then he wanted photos, next came a request for more thorough details about the jersey, and various other questions. This went on for well over two weeks without even a hint of stating that he wanted to buy the jersey or even a request to hold the jersey for him. Occasionally, collectors will ask me various questions about a jersey on my price list for educational purposes, so I never gave it too much thought as to whether he actually wanted to buy or was trying to gain knowledge. I figured that if he really wanted it, he would have already made the purchase or at least made a commitment.

Someone else came along and bought the jersey and made payment instantly. When the "tire kicker" came back and asked yet another question, I told him that the jersey had been sold. He immediately began to tell me what a sorry human being I was for selling the jersey out from under him and that all I was interested in was making a buck, etc. etc. etc. Like most folks, I am not a mind reader and don't have a crystal ball on my desk, so I am not going to assume that someone is going to buy an item unless they tell me that they will buy it.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Quote Originally Posted by G1X View Post
    I hear you with regards to procrastinators, tire kickers, etc. I was not talking about folks simply responding to the ad, asking for photos, etc., I was speaking specifically about situations where there is an oral or written confirmation stating that they will buy the item. Once that commitment is made, there is an obligation for the Seller to make good on their promise, just as there is an obligation for the Buyer to make payment. Granted, I am not going to "hold" the item indefinitely once they commit to making the purchase. I typically give a buyer 7 days to make payment, and I usually make that point clear in our correspondence, especially if it is someone I do not know.

My favorite story (and most frustrating) was years ago when someone approached me about a very inexpensive jersey on my price list. Every few days he would ask me a question about the jersey. First, he wanted some general information, then he wanted photos, next came a request for more thorough details about the jersey, and various other questions. This went on for well over two weeks without even a hint of stating that he wanted to buy the jersey or even a request to hold the jersey for him. Occasionally, collectors will ask me various questions about a jersey on my price list for educational purposes, so I never gave it too much thought as to whether he actually wanted to buy or was trying to gain knowledge. I figured that if he really wanted it, he would have already made the purchase or at least made a commitment.

Someone else came along and bought the jersey and made payment instantly. When the "tire kicker" came back and asked yet another question, I told him that the jersey had been sold. He immediately began to tell me what a sorry human being I was for selling the jersey out from under him and that all I was interested in was making a buck, etc. etc. etc. Like most folks, I am not a mind reader and don't have a crystal ball on my desk, so I am not going to assume that someone is going to buy an item unless they tell me that they will buy it.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net
    For sure, if I accept an offer from someone, they are first in line. I will wait a little bit for them. But not too long.

I love it when people pay immediately or within a few minutes.
    Thank you,
    David

This is my email address here!
    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...