Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hybrid View

1939-42 Ted Williams Bat at Mears - OH on knob

My first post back here in years. Hope you have all been well.

I own a few Williams bats and was very excited to see this rookie era bat come up last night at the new MEARS auction: http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.co...OT116093.aspx#

Of course the thing that jumps out here is the odd markings on the knob which MEARS concludes is "a non-readable marking" - not a uniform number and does not figure into the grading. Thus they score it an 8 and reference previous PSA grading without citing the score. Hmmm. This is not a "non-readable marking." It says "OH" or "HO" in big capital letters. Williams was fastidious with his bats and the notion he had a big "OH" on the knob made no sense to me.

I have seen quite a few Williams bats used by teammates, especially in the 1950's - clearly they brought good luck. So I looked at the rosters from 1939-1942 and lo and behold, Ted played with journeyman Odell Hale during the period - a guy who sure could use some luck with the bat. While the bat certainly looks like it was made for Williams, I think it is highly likely that much of the use could be from "OH." Dunno.

What I love about bats is the stories they tell and the research you can do. I am speculating here but would love to hear other opinions.

Matt

Wonder why the PSA letter has a different date for the bat?

What does the PSA say for the year? I don't have access. Its pre-model number obviously.

I will add that MEARS sold this same bat 4 months ago here: http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.co...ntoryid=112413

Now its back.

I now see that PSA holo dates the it as 1944-48 and lists a cracked 31 ounce bat. So maybe this PSA/DNA sticker is associated with a different bat since the auction listing is for an uncracked 32 ounce bat with no model number. Hard to see PSA issuing a COA for a non-model number bat with a 1944-48 date range.

I am confused. Maybe I will break out the Malta book and the magnifying bat tonight and see what the labeling can tell us about the bat pictured in the auction. I have a very good circa 1946 Williams bat I can compare it to as well.

Not sure anyone was paying attention to this thread, but just to close it out this bat sold for $14K. I did not bid on it but concluded it was a legit 1946 or 47 Williams bat with likely use by another player as well after reviewing the markings. It is NOT a 1939-41 bat as claimed based on the center brand and Powerized but it does look like a legit 1944-1948 bat as PSA had concluded. Wiliams did not order bats in 1943-45 I believe the model numbers phased in until about 1946 and 1947 and this bat was likely made for Williams from a pre-war blank after the war. MEARS incorrectly concluded 1939-1943 simply based on the lack of model number I think. But the markings are not from that period IMHO. Regardless the weird OH or HO marking on the knob is a problem obviously unless someone can explain it.

Hope this is useful commentary to someone!

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    Not sure anyone was paying attention to this thread, but just to close it out this bat sold for $14K. I did not bid on it but concluded it was a legit 1946 or 47 Williams bat with likely use by another player as well after reviewing the markings. It is NOT a 1939-41 bat as claimed based on the center brand and Powerized but it does look like a legit 1944-1948 bat as PSA had concluded. Wiliams did not order bats in 1943-45 I believe the model numbers phased in until about 1946 and 1947 and this bat was likely made for Williams from a pre-war blank after the war. MEARS incorrectly concluded 1939-1943 simply based on the lack of model number I think. But the markings are not from that period IMHO. Regardless the weird OH or HO marking on the knob is a problem obviously unless someone can explain it.

Hope this is useful commentary to someone!

Mears has told me before that they don't go by the Malta book. They don't think theres enough evidence to back up the date ranges in the book or something along those lines.

They had a Hank Aaron bat months ago that they dated to either 1956 or 57 and said it matched records, but the bat was really a 1960 and wouldn't have matched his 1960 records.

My favorite mystery bat is back on the block. Looks like whoever bought this bat for $14K is now selling it at Goldin in the summer auction here: https://goldinauctions.com/1939_1942...-LOT51338.aspx

The PSA holo referenced in the MEARS auction (see below) is now gone apparently. Curious if anyone else thinks this is really a rookie-era bat versus 1944-1948 as indicated by the markings per Malta and the (now missing) PSA holo number 1B12284.