Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Follow us on
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube My Space Blogger

Thread: Shill Bidding

Shill Bidding

Dear Members,
    Have any of you guys ever had strong reason to believe you have been shill bidded in a major auction house (not Ebay)?
    If so how did you guys proceed?

I feel like I have been a victim recently where my bid was raised from $3300 to my exact ceiling winning bid of over $6000 with 3 consecutive bids over a span of 3 minutes in the final minutes of auction close. There were no bids for 2.5 hours prior to closing. I find it hard to believe I got bidded up exactly to my ceiling bid with 3 bids when there were many increments between $3300 and my ceiling bid.

I don't necessarily mind the closing price since it's the most I would have paid for it but I'm not going to just roll over and pay without at least speaking with one of the owners. I know for a fact I was a victim of shilling bidding at Mastro and other auctions, which I won't name, in the past.

To this date Goldin, Hunts, Heritage are the only auction houses where I continue to win items below my ceiling bid.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Goh Nishiyama
    Goh Nishiyama

This has happened to me a couple times. The auction house thankfully is no longer in business. The auction house told me they reserved the right to bid it up. I ended up never paying and thankfully i didn't because it would bug the crap out of me every time i looked at the items.

the auction house actually said that?? That has to be illegal.