Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metsbats
    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by ndevlin
    Aside from the comments already mentioned(website not being super user friendly), I believe ppl are steadily moving to other formats, such as Facebook, to post and display/sell items. It’s literally take a pic and go.

What this site needs is an app.

Nate I agree. Social media is much easier to use and more interactive and a lot of our members are on the Facebook sites more these days. Chris spoke about a Facebook GUU site years ago so perhaps it may be a direction to consider.

Its encouraging to to see this thread and a lot of you who wish to see GUU return to its former glory and I hope we can do it!

David
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• RoyalsCollector
      • Jul 2018

I would love to see GUU return to its former glory. However I’ll keep my fingers crossed that it will have absolutely nothing to do with Facebook. I don’t Facebook, I never have Facebooked, and I never will Facebook. Not for any reason whatsoever including for GUU. I would very much miss GUU but no force in the universe could compel me to do anything on Facebook.
      I used to be TBM and I collect everything Kansas City Royals. Main focus is Adalberto Mondesi aka Raul Mondesi of the Royals and Ryan O’Hearn.

Comment

• sportsnbikes
        • Sep 2012

Most of the people I have seen that are still active here are also over on the MLB Game Used Facebook Group. While there are some advantages to the FB group over GUU site (i.e. the ease of picture posting) there are also some advantages GUU has over the FB group (i.e. easier navigation to look at random classified posts). I had suggested an app for GUU site a few years ago but it was not accepted very well. For websites, you have to adapt to an app or you'll get left behind. Many of us use a handheld device or a tablet. Going into the future generations, most will have a device. An app will be required. At the very least you need a mobile version.

I don't mind at all that Ken owns or runs this site or whatever. It's not overbearing with Goldin posts whatsoever to me. I have the ability to click or not click on something. It's not shoved down our throats. It's not like some of the sites you see where you click on something then have to sit through an ad before you can go to the page.

Comment

• sportsnbikes
          • Sep 2012

You may have to get a FB dude.

Comment

• gorilla777
            • Aug 2009

Anything new with this? I have had trouble logging in, trouble posting and was not able to post photos either...

Comment

• Triple92459
              • Apr 2018

Originally posted by gorilla777
              Anything new with this? I have had trouble logging in, trouble posting and was not able to post photos either...
              Yes I wish this site would return to the way it was. Will we ever see it like that again?

-Walt

Triple92459

Comment

• 1929tudor
                • Oct 2010

Yea this site is outdated and boring anymore. It needs to be taken over by someone who has the time and cares to get it back to where it was or update it so it's better. Even the advertising, let others companies and auction houses advertise instead of Goldins ads and auction as the only one. Go to net54 and see how popular that is over there.Wake up GUU.

Comment

• KGoldin
                  • Sep 2012

We care and will get the server functioning properly

Comment

• sportscrazy13
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by gorilla777
                    gorila

gorilla I do miss seeing your museum quality stuff
                    Gary
                    gashlockusmc@yahoo.com

Always looking for Atlanta Braves & St Louis Blues game used stuff, old and current stars

Comment

• dougiedshow
                      Super Moderator
                      • Dec 2009

As an administrator for guu, I understand everyone’s concerns about the future of the forum. It’s an amazing community and a great resource. With nearly 13 years of posts and information, the forum has also become a living encyclopedia for hobby reasearch.
                      The last year has been very challenging from a technology standpoint. This has nothing to do with the change in ownership. The issue stemmed from the now archaic programming and platform originally used for the site. That platform became obsolete and we risked losing all historical data. In an effort to salvage the current data and format, we switched platforms. Obviously we are going through some continued technical challenges, all of which we hope to resolve soon.
                      In the end, we want to accomplish 2 things. 1) retain the history and invaluable research data of the last 13 years. And 2) develop a user friendly format (or multiple platforms) that will be relevant for the next decade. Ken Goldin has put me in touch with his technical support team and, as a hobbyist myself, I am trying to relay all of the concerns. I am also planning a trip to NJ to meet with Ken and his team to discuss our options.
                      Speaking of Ken, he takes a lot of blame on the forum and it’s really misguided. If anyone recalls, the site was inactive in 2013, crashed and was unattended. No new users were able to register, and no one could
                      Post.
                      Ken stepped in and purchased ownership in the site, saving it at the time. Believe it or not, due to the robust size of the database and the format that was being used, the forum is not inexpensive to keep online. There are not only monthly server fees, but also a tech team gets a high hourly rate to be on call and handle all issues. A free forum, surviving to this point, has only been made possible by Ken. Frankly, biting the only hand that feeds us, isn’t going to help.
                      Not to mention the fact that Ken runs an awesome contest for all of us and frankly asks for very little advertising in return. One banner ad at the top of the page is not crippling the site, in my opinion. I still greatly enjoy the ability to interact my friends and fellow collectors, while researching over a decade of data. I also do not think the fact that blowout cards owns blow out forums stops activity or people from posting there, for example. Ken, as an owner, posts very little intrusive content, in my opinion.
                      Does the site need repaired? Absolutely. Do we need up to date functionality? Absolutely. Unfortunately, it’s a free site, which does not generate revenue needed to quickly resolve these issues. We have some financial resources available to address the issues, due to Ken’s original investment and continued contributions. My hope is that those resources will allow us to accomplish the 2 goals stated above.
                      If you have suggestions or feel you can assist in any way, please email me directly. Dougiedshow@aol.com Thank you!

Doug Reiser

Comment

• jojac
                        • Jan 2014

You have people who've shared there suggestions and their opinions on certain aspects of this site and unfortunately you guys take it as "Biting the hand that feeds us" when that's totally not the intent. In turn those posts are deleted when they should remain open for discussion.
                        I hope I'm wrong but in my opinion so many of the members here have found alternate options and this site has gone so far south that I'm not sure it will ever recover.
                        I wish you the best and I hope you guys do "make it great again".

Comment

• Jason
                          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by dougiedshow
                          Believe it or not, due to the robust size of the database and the format that was being used, the forum is not inexpensive to keep online. There are not only monthly server fees, but also a tech team gets a high hourly rate to be on call and handle all issues.
                          There are some really great hosts that offer very affordable cost for high traffic sites. I myself host 15+ domains a couple of them being smaller forums and at one time, a forum larger than this one. I pay $9.99/month for unlimited bandwidth/MySQL disk usage and total disk usage. If you're paying much more than that, it's time to look for a new host.
                          - Jason

Comment

Working...