Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Kansas City Athletics Jersey in current Paragon Auction

Need some help with Lot #23 in the current Paragon Auction. http://www.paragonauctions.com/1963_...A-LOT8492.aspx

The jersey is described as a 1963 Kansas City Athletics jersey worn in September 1963 by Jose Santiago. It looks similar to the style worn by the Athletics in the regular season from 1955 through 1960. To the best of my limited knowledge on older baseball jerseys, the major league club was not wearing that style by 1963. I thought that the A’s started wearing a much different style in 1961 and once again introduced a new style in 1962 before completely changing their color scheme to green and gold in 1963 when they started wearing their famous gold vests.

I also thought that the 1955 to ’60 jerseys always had the piping around the neck and down the front as well as piping on the sleeves, but again, I have little background knowledge on uniforms of that era.

I sent an email to Paragon Auctions on July 25 inquiring about this jersey and a football jersey in their current auction. They replied later that day with a question about the football jersey and eventually amended the listing of the football jersey. However, they did not comment on the A's baseball jersey. I followed up on August 6, but still have not heard back, so any assistance from Forum members will be much appreciated.

Mark Hayne
    gixc@verizon.net

Banned
    I agree that there are oddities about this jersey. The piping is missing, and the style, as you say, was last used in 1960 (and '61ST). The A's did use certain styles for multiple years in spring training after retiring them during the regular season. However, I've never seen this style used in this extended manner. Overall, I'd pass on this item.

Dave Miedema

Thanks, Dave! I was hoping you would provide your expert opinion. Much appreciated.

I am a bit confounded as to why they would quickly respond to my comments on the football jersey and revise that listing accordingly, yet they seemed to ignore my inquiry on the Athletics baseball jersey that was in the same email. I provided photos and other documentation in my original email, and I followed up a week later, but still no response. Only speculating, but my guess is that the inscription on the jersey is their reasoning for not amending the listing despite what photos and other evidence show to the contrary.

Mark Hayne

Banned
    Also worth noting; Santiago was with KC for 3 seasons, and wore a different # each season, none of which were 12. He wore 22 in 1963, 21 in '64, and then 29 in '65.

Dave M.

Does anyone know where the headquarters for Paragon Auctions are located? I heard they have relocated several times over the past few years.

Thanks!

-Walt

Triple92459