Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Who's gone crazy - me or Steiner?

islandstyle,

not in 2000 that im aware of.

1999 - black 5 on left sleeve for dimaggio.
    1999 - black armband on left sleeve for hunter
    2001 - black armband for wtc victims

nothing in 2000. i'd think even the yankees would remove
    memorial armbands and such for the following season.
    (how long are you gonna pay tribute to dimaggio?).

anyways, here's a decent site for memorial patches etc.

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...es/patches.htm

rudy.

Rudy,

It would be the right thing to do to contact Steiner first thing Tuesday morning and advise them of the oversight. As mentioned in my last post, this would be doing the hobby (and not just Steiner) a great service as it would prevent a misidentified item from making it into someone's collection.

Since you were the one to point out this error, it is probably appropriate for you to take credit and be the one to contact Steiner on this issue. Please let me know if you have any reservations about contacting Steiner on Tuesday and notifying them about this matter as I will make the call if you do not feel comfortable doing it. The main thing is to be sure they are notified.

Mark Hayne

I must say I'm surprised to read that people on this forum believe Canseco and Wells wore the same size jersey in 2000. Canseco as a 48 or 50 (more likely) I can believe, but Boomer? Given that the Blue Jays 2000 Wells BP(purchased direcly from the Jays) I briefly owned was a size XXXL, I don't see him wearing either of those jersey sizes...more likely a 52 or 54.

From what I've seen Boomer is usually a 56 stock jersey with +4 tag
    All the 2000 jersyes i've seen have a black arm band on the left sleeve(...maybe for scooter....just kidding I forget who it was for)
    PJB

Just for argument sake--If you got this "Wells" jersey without doing your homework and then realized later it was Canseco's, used for that one plate appearance would you keep it?

The Yankees did wear the memorial armband during the 2000 World Series. If you look closely you can see it on Cansecos left sleeve.

Wow, so much to respond to. (Honestly, I don't think half as much analysis goes on inside the big auction houses or authentication companies as goes on in this forum).

re: canseco & wells jersey sizes.
    Bigtime: I don't think it was 'people' who believed Canseco and Wells wore the same size jersey, it was me! I'm the culprit. You're completely right though. They didn't wear the same size. (I failed to realize how gargantuan Boomer has gotten. Who'd have thought he'd take a bigger jersey than Cecil Fielder or McGwire?!).
    Anyways, Canseco would've taken a 48 or 50 in 2000 and Boomer a 54 or 56. It's a fact that Canseco wore #33 in the 2000 World Series and Boomer was off from playing the year in Toronto.
    So either:
    a) the Steiner jersey is a typo. Somebody fell asleep at the wheel and typed "Wells" instead of "Canseco" twice.
    b) Canseco wore Wells' old size 54/56 jersey for the 2000 World Series? I still think it's too much of a coincidence that they're both #33 and the largest guys on the Yankees.
    Any other possible explanations or insight into what this jersey really is?
    Steiner doesn't say what size the jersey is. They also don't show a picture of the tagging. Both of those would solve this mystery.

re: 2000 black armbands.
    Woops. The Yankees wore black armbands on their left sleeve in 2000 to honor the passing of Bob Lemon who died January 11, 2000.
    Oddly enough this information is absent from both Bill Henderson's guide and the Baseball HOF list of 'memorial patches/armbands'.

Swoboda:
    Personally I'd keep it because I like Canseco. But I'd also never buy a Wells to start with. So maybe in my case, I wouldn't have bought it because it was a Wells and then would've been disappointed to later learn it was really a Canseco and I missed out on it.
    I imagine most people who thought they were getting a Wells and got a Canseco instead wouldn't be too pleased?

Rudy.

Rudy,

You must have overlooked my post (#12). Please let me know.

If you are the one who makes the call, you might get answers to the following questions in your last post:
    "So either:
    a) the Steiner jersey is a typo. Somebody fell asleep at the wheel and typed "Wells" instead of "Canseco" twice.
    b) Canseco wore Wells' old size 54/56 jersey for the 2000 World Series? I still think it's too much of a coincidence that they're both #33 and the largest guys on the Yankees.
    Any other possible explanations or insight into what this jersey really is?
    Steiner doesn't say what size the jersey is. They also don't show a picture of the tagging. Both of those would solve this mystery.
    ery.

It will be interesting to hear what you find out.

Mark Hayne

Mark,

I will contact them. I'll also see if they can send me a
    photo of the tagging. For some reason I think Jose has
    a better chance at making the majors in 2006 than I do
    of getting a pic from them, but I'll try.

Rudy.

"The polite thing to do would be to contact the seller first and advise them of the oversight before posting the error in this Forum. We would be doing the hobby a great service by doing so - perhaps saving a potential buyer from a lot of heartache (remember, not every collector in the world reads this Forum) and much embarrassment for the seller."

I could not disagree more with the above statement. In my opinion, Rudy did the hobby a "great service" by pointing this out. I really do not believe that the folks at Steiner are or will be embarrassed by this revelation. My biggest fear is now they will market the jersey as a gamer worn by both and Wells and Canseco and the new price will be $25.000!