Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

George Bush, Mickey Mantle on card w/ Jeter

NEW YORK -- As President Bush smiled and waved from the stands and Mickey Mantle looked on from the dugout, Derek Jeter swung his bat. Talk about pressure.

The game never happened, though. It was just someone's idea of a visual gag -- pulled off in a recent Topps baseball card through digital manipulation.

"Somewhere in between the final proofing and its printing, someone at our company -- and we won't name names -- thought it would be funny to put in Bush and Mantle," said Clay Luraschi, a spokesman for Topps in Tuesday's edition of the New York Daily News.

The president's image is superimposed on the picture, while whoever played the trick took some time blending Mantle into the background of Jeter's card, No. 40 in the set.

Luraschi said that the gag was discovered during proofing of the card, but that it was already in the set. "We couldn't do anything but laugh," he said.

It's not the first card to have silly errors or odd prints, said T.S. O'Connell, the editor of Sports Collector's Digest. "For collectors, there's a real giggle factor for something like this," he said.

The Jeter card could join other famed oddball cards, like the 1969 Topps of Aurelio Rodriguez. That card featured a photo of a bat boy instead of the infielder.

Another collector said the joke would raise the price of the card.n A search on eBay done by ESPN.com at 12:33 p.m. ET found several cards up for bid on the auction site, with prices ranging from $31.77 to $405 for a "lot" of 10 cards.

Jeter told the News said he didn't know anything about the card. A White House spokesman declined to comment.
    Luraschi said he doesn't know whether the card would be corrected in the future.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Re: George Bush, Mickey Mantle on card w/ Jeter

It's the front page story on today's daily news. Can you say "Slow News Day"
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

It's amazing what media coverage will do. When I read this story at 8am Central time the story mentioned the card was selling for $2 on ebay.
    Wanted: Minnesota Twins throwback or special event jerseys.

Does anyone know how many cards are out there with the George Bush and Mickey Mantle?

Here is a BuyItNow at $75 per card for 10 cards = $750
    http://cgi.ebay.com/10ea-2007-Topps-...QQcmdZViewItem

The 2007 Topps set has been on the market for 3 weeks now and Topps seems to have no intentions on correcting it.

Look at the madness around buying this card. Yesterday it was a couple of bucks. Today it is consistently near $100.

http://search-completed.ebay.com/200...lcZ0QQsaslopZ1

I like Topps' "accidental" advertisement for B of A on the dugout wall.
    Photoshopped images are created by talentless hacks...

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    I agree.

As someone who enjoys both baseball and photography, I have original photos by Charles Conlon and Louis Van Oeyen hung on my home office wall.

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    I should have said "sometimes".
    I decide what's funny. I am the decider.

I must be seeing things , first George now Osama ...on a baseball card??????.... shhhhh......lol.....people are crazy spending that kind of money , they are falling for the card companies ploy.....what's next ???? Anna Nicole Smith cards???