Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lou Whitaker BP

Lou Whitaker BP

i won this on MLB.com just wondering what year it is from. I could not find any pictures online.
    https://tigers.auctions.mlb.com/iSyn...earch&pgcust1=

Thanks,

Todd

Banned
    Based on the Wilson tag design, it would date to the 1987-91 era. Can you read what the 2-letter code is on that small tag fastened beneath the Wilson label. That can date it to the year and even the month of manufacture.

Dave Miedema

From that era, most/nearly all game used Tiger jerseys and pants had the Tiger’s equipment manager’s initials hand written in pen or sharpie. The Tigers organization was VERY protective of its uniforms and claims that something was game used, when it was not. I’ve even heard stories of Tiger employees at memorabilia shows calling out dealers with “game used” jerseys as fakes if they lacked such markings. Hopefully, you have the real deal (maybe the equipment manager did not mark BP jerseys).

Banned
    I've also heard from a few Detroit dealers of that era that the Tigers would also sometimes confiscate jersey from dealers unless the Schmakel markings were present.

Dave Miedema

Nice jersey Todd, that was a great buy directly from the Tigers! I had the matching Trammell jersey in my collection at one time.

There has been lots of speculation over that exact jersey style and there is only 1 known photo of Lou and Tram wearing them. It has been speculated that they were home BP jerseys and I have also heard spring training home jerseys, but I could never find the photo evidence to prove it.

To Dave's point, the 2-letter code on the small tag in the next will help you identify the year. My Trammell jersey had the "CX" code, which my database notates it as a 1990 jersey.

I will try to find the photo of them wearing this jersey, it was a closeup portrait of Lou/Tram, but you could clearly see it was this style jersey. Let me know if you ever want to sell it, it would fit my collection nicely!

Wes

As promised, this is the photo that shows them in this jersey. 2 things about this photo: (1) there is a batting cage behind them and (2) the color of the seats would lead me to believe this is NOT Joker Marchant Stadium in Lakeland, FL (spring training).

Name:  3910a_med.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  17.7 KB

Photos from MLB Auction of the jersey in discussion:

Name:  img-2795542-m.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  44.6 KBName:  img-2795543-m.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  44.8 KBName:  img-2795541-m.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  26.7 KB

Photos of a similar jersey that came directly from the Tigers. Interesting thing to note on this one is the Name on Back (NOB), correct size (44), 2-letter tag code of "DX" and strip tag.

Name:  lf.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  10.3 KBName:  lf-2.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  9.8 KBName:  lf-3.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  17.9 KBName:  lf-4.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  19.3 KB

Banned
    This one seems odd. The DX tag would date it to 1991, but the strip tag shows the year as 1989. That doesn't make sense, unless I'm missing something.

Dave Miedema

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    This one seems odd. The DX tag would date it to 1991, but the strip tag shows the year as 1989. That doesn't make sense, unless I'm missing something.

Dave Miedema
    Great point Dave, is the size 44 correct? A 89 Whitaker in auction is size 40.