Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lou Whitaker BP

Banned
    That does seem a bit large for that time frame. In today's sizing Sweet Lou in a 44 would likely be correct. But from 30 years ago? I'm kinda skeptical, also.

Dave M.

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    That does seem a bit large for that time frame. In today's sizing Sweet Lou in a 44 would likely be correct. But from 30 years ago? I'm kinda skeptical, also.

Dave M.
    So I know very little about a lot, but I know a lot about very little, and that is Lou Whitaker for me. Lou's sizing ranged between 38 and 44 throughout his career. Due to the scarcity of his late 70's and early 80's jerseys, it is hard to get good sizings from 77-83, but my database (with samples from 77, 78 and 84) suggest he wore a 38 from 77 to 84. 85 to 86 is scarce, but there is evidence of him wearing of 42 from 87 to around 89, where he then wore a 44 until the end of his career in 95. If the "DX" truly does represent a production date of 91, then a size 44 is spot on with all other examples from that time period, in which there are plenty.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, both of the white BP jerseys came from the exact same equipment room in Comerica Park, so the sizing difference really has me puzzled. However, I am putting my money on a 44 post-1988 all day long, and so are the collectors that have been paying thousands for his jerseys recently.

It's cool that Marc is finally clearing out the old jerseys from the "upstairs" equipment room, but there sure is some odd stuff in there...

Banned
    Point taken. Still, how does a jersey with an alpha year code of 1991 have a 1989 strip tag in the tail?

Dave M.

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    Point taken. Still, how does a jersey with an alpha year code of 1991 have a 1989 strip tag in the tail?

Dave M.
    This would lead me to challenge to data source of the alpha year code. Where did this coding come from and what do we know about it? Did Wilson ever publish this? I saw a primer on it once but it clearly stated that it was for football jerseys.

Banned
    This alpha year code was first published in the hobby back in the early 1990s in Phil Wood's old Diamond Duds newsletter. It was submitted by a well-known game used collector of the era, Tim Phillips of Texas, and was first published in regards to dating Wilson MLB caps. I've never encountered an actual game used or team issued jersey from MLB or the NFL that's had an inconsistency like this. Anything can happen, but if this jersey were submitted to me for authentication, the only response I'd give would be Unable to Authenticate.

Dave M.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinLakesPark View Post
    It's cool that Marc is finally clearing out the old jerseys from the "upstairs" equipment room, but there sure is some odd stuff in there...
    Marc is no longer with the Tigers, not sure who is running things right now.
    Russ - Always on the lookout for Jim Abbott, Team USA and Detroit Tigers GU.

Quote Originally Posted by russyurk View Post
    Marc is no longer with the Tigers, not sure who is running things right now.
    That would probably explain the purge...