Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Can someone help date Dallas Cowboys pants by Red Fox?

Note the use of two different fabrics and colors. There's a player number stitched above the Red Fox label. I'll share the number later, but I'd like to try to date the pants independently first. Thanks for any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Banned

Re: Can someone help date Dallas Cowboys pants by Red Fox?

From 1971 to the mid 1980s, the Cowboys' pants were always much bluer/darker on the back as opposed to the front. For whatever reason, they couldn't quite coordinate the colors. The pants in your photos were the ones they wore between 1971 and 1973, when they looked kinda charcoal gray. In 1974, they got significantly bluer.

Had no idea Red Fox was a team supplier. Always figured Southland Athletic took care of their uni needs.

Quote Originally Posted by slats7 View Post
    From 1971 to the mid 1980s, the Cowboys' pants were always much bluer/darker on the back as opposed to the front. For whatever reason, they couldn't quite coordinate the colors. The pants in your photos were the ones they wore between 1971 and 1973, when they looked kinda charcoal gray. In 1974, they got significantly bluer.

Had no idea Red Fox was a team supplier. Always figured Southland Athletic took care of their uni needs.
    That's some good information, Slats.
    Didn't Sand-Knit make some pants for some seasons?

Banned

I've seen Cowboys and Oilers helmets (I still own the Oilers helmet)that were provided to the teams by a Texas company called "Protective Products" - since Fox was located in Texas, perhaps the Cowboys tried to buy locally? Another thought may be, years ago I spoke to a retired equipment guy for the Eagles and he told me that they got samples from uniform suppliers all the time. The stuff was free and if the item (s) were close enough, they used them. Why throw something away that didn't cost anything?

In the book, "Colors", the author writes that in 1966, Schramm made a uniform change and the pants went from white to silver pants and the silver became almost a aqua tint.

Just some thoughts.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

Quote Originally Posted by slats7 View Post

I also never knew of or heard of Red Fox.

Regarding the colors - the Cowboys weren't the only team with this issue; it seems like a lot of teams with yellow pants (Steelers, Chargers, Rams, Packers) had this going on. I think it was because the two different types of fabric faded differently in the wash. I suppose the fabric on the front, which had the pockets for pads, was heavier-duty than the kint on the back.

Now by about 1981/82 we started getting into the metallic fabric, which was first used only on the fronts of the pants; by the middle-late 80s most teams had switched to pants made entirely of the metallic fabric.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    That's some good information, Slats.
    Didn't Sand-Knit make some pants for some seasons?
    Yes. They definitely wore them in 1977. Here's Dorsett's pants from that season. Again, much bluer in back than the front.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by John in KY View Post
    I also never knew of or heard of Red Fox.

Regarding the colors - the Cowboys weren't the only team with this issue; it seems like a lot of teams with yellow pants (Steelers, Chargers, Rams, Packers) had this going on. I think it was because the two different types of fabric faded differently in the wash. I suppose the fabric on the front, which had the pockets for pads, was heavier-duty than the kint on the back.

Now by about 1981/82 we started getting into the metallic fabric, which was first used only on the fronts of the pants; by the middle-late 80s most teams had switched to pants made entirely of the metallic fabric.
    That's exactly right. Shiny on the front; dull in the back. Kind of a weird look. I wish the Boys would get rid of the shiny spandex forever and go with what the Giants and Niners wear.

Quote Originally Posted by cohibasmoker View Post
    I've seen Cowboys and Oilers helmets (I still own the Oilers helmet)that were provided to the teams by a Texas company called "Protective Products" - since Fox was located in Texas, perhaps the Cowboys tried to buy locally? Another thought may be, years ago I spoke to a retired equipment guy for the Eagles and he told me that they got samples from uniform suppliers all the time. The stuff was free and if the item (s) were close enough, they used them. Why throw something away that didn't cost anything?

In the book, "Colors", the author writes that in 1966, Schramm made a uniform change and the pants went from white to silver pants and the silver became almost a aqua tint.
    The pants changed from white to metallic blue in 1964, not 1966. As I noted earlier, they got significantly grayer/darker between 1971-3.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...vip=true&rt=nc

Thanks for the replies. My research also showed that the pants changed in 1974. (Bluer and different details.) But I wasn't sure when the style started. If it's 1971-1973 based on the color, I'm happy with that. The player would be Calvin Hill. Slats7 found my purchase in ebay's sold items. Maybe one day I can photomatch the repair on the right leg.

I'm having a hard time finding solid information about the manufacturers of Cowboy pants. I found a page at Mears that says Southland made the jerseys and pants in 1960. Red Fox took over the pants in 1961. Then at some point it was Sand Knit. But I don't know the dates.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BrianK View Post
    Thanks for the replies. My research also showed that the pants changed in 1974. (Bluer and different details.) But I wasn't sure when the style started. If it's 1971-1973 based on the color, I'm happy with that. The player would be Calvin Hill. Slats7 found my purchase in ebay's sold items. Maybe one day I can photomatch the repair on the right leg.

I'm having a hard time finding solid information about the manufacturers of Cowboy pants. I found a page at Mears that says Southland made the jerseys and pants in 1960. Red Fox took over the pants in 1961. Then at some point it was Sand Knit. But I don't know the dates.
    The eBay seller originally listed the pants as belonging to RB Pete Gent, but since he didn't play for the Cowboys during the years when this style was being worn, I told him that Calvin Hill was the likely owner.

Very informative. I am hoping that someone can help me out as well. I am currently trying to piece together uniforms from the 70's and 80'era, starting with these two (2) pairs of Dallas Cowboys Vintage pants. Would anyone know what year these pants are from and if so, were they considered home or away? The darker blue pants have #36 in the waistline, I'm guessing it may be Vincent Albritton or possibly Larry Brinson who wore these #'s in the 70's? Would appreciate any input from Knowledgable sources. Again, great articles!
    Thanks, Michael