Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best pen to use to get a baseball signed?

There's a possibility that I am going to have a chance to get my game used 2008 World Series baseball signed if I want to and was wondering what is the best pen to use on a baseball these days? Is a ball point pen still the way to go? I haven't had a baseball signed in person since I was a kid. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Best pen to use to get a baseball signed?

Ballpoint is the best looking and the most traditional. Often sharpies "bleed".

There have been several threads created on this. If you do a search you will find a wealth of information.

Best thing to do is get a good cheap ball point pen. Do not use Gel Ink pens or Sharpies. Gel Ink fades over time and Sharpies bleed overtime. You want an indelible (permanent) ink pen. Many of the cheap Bic or Pilot pens will work. Here is what I use, because I use these at work for government regulated documents that require the use of Indelible ink pens:

https://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...3yVn:17h4h7dlm

They work great, have always given me a good autograph and are always ready to go. Have never had problems with skipping or clotting. They start writing as soon as the tip makes contact. The ink dries fast. They also have a black ink if you prefer that instead of blue:

However, a good 10 for $1 Bic pens work good too, sometimes. Me and a friend of mine both got an autograph on a ball from our favorite player. He used his Bic pen and I used my Pilot. His came out crappy looking and mine came out looking awesome. The pen had skipped several times even though he had it primed and ready to go. I had offered him one of my pens beforehand as I always travel with a handful of them. He declined and regretted it less than a second after the player started to sign his ball.

Whatever pen you decide on, get an Official MLB ball and use the pen on it. See how it turns out. New ball is maybe $20 and many game used balls are had for $35 or less and will help you see almost exactly how it will turn out. $35 vs a lifetime of regret is a cheap investment.

Quote Originally Posted by TBM View Post
    There have been several threads created on this. If you do a search you will find a wealth of information.

Best thing to do is get a good cheap ball point pen. Do not use Gel Ink pens or Sharpies. Gel Ink fades over time and Sharpies bleed overtime. You want an indelible (permanent) ink pen. Many of the cheap Bic or Pilot pens will work. Here is what I use, because I use these at work for government regulated documents that require the use of Indelible ink pens:

They work great, have always given me a good autograph and are always ready to go. Have never had problems with skipping or clotting. They start writing as soon as the tip makes contact. The ink dries fast. They also have a black ink if you prefer that instead of blue:

However, a good 10 for $1 Bic pens work good too, sometimes. Me and a friend of mine both got an autograph on a ball from our favorite player. He used his Bic pen and I used my Pilot. His came out crappy looking and mine came out looking awesome. The pen had skipped several times even though he had it primed and ready to go. I had offered him one of my pens beforehand as I always travel with a handful of them. He declined and regretted it less than a second after the player started to sign his ball.

Whatever pen you decide on, get an Official MLB ball and use the pen on it. See how it turns out. New ball is maybe $20 and many game used balls are had for $35 or less and will help you see almost exactly how it will turn out. $35 vs a lifetime of regret is a cheap investment.
    I think this is pretty on the money. I would stay away from black ink, as it doesn't fade as nicely as blue. Blue ink, just becomes a lighter blue as it ages/fades. Black ink, can turn brown/yellow.

Thanks everyone for their replies. There's an Office Max right by my place so I'll go pick up a pack of blue pilot pens.

The only thing I'm worried about is getting my World Series ball signed. I don't want any screwups so might settle for an autographed WS photo instead.

I always stayed away from Sharpies but I have to tell you, the baseballs I have that are signed with them have stayed dark through the years, and haven't faded. But there are numerous baseballs signed with a ball point pen that are now 30% lighter in color and you run the risk of a player signing them with a "light" hand also. I'm surprised at this, and now with a finer point Sharpie, I'm wondering, maybe we should experiment on some signings and see. (I'll post photos).

Sharpie signed baseballs are well over five years old
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here is a game ready or game used or practice used Official Pacific Coast League ball that I got signed by Paulo Orlando a little over 2 years ago. Blue sharpie was not my first choice but that is what he used. You can see close up how much it is bleeding in just that amount of time. Ball has been kept in an Ultra Pro ball cube since it was signed so it has not been exposed to the environment.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I just think the ball point pens are fading worse than sharpies are bleeding. Now, if we used the fountain pens that have the Babe Ruth signatures still so readable, vibrant after 80 years, then we should maybe try them?

Bic or pilot blue ballpoint. Also think about future value if you ever sell. Not too many folks buying sharpie signed balls, I'll guarantee it.