Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Banned

Lampson's Mantle Pants!

Forum Readers-

http://cgi.ebay.com/1954-55-Mickey-M...QQcmdZViewItem

Offered by Broadway Rick is a pair of "1950's Mantle Pants" with 2 LOA's. The one letter is from some individual in 1950 who is seeking equipment from the Yankees. Please read this letter, as there is no connection anywhere in the letter to this particular oair of "Mantle" pants. Then read Lampson's LOA.

I've seen plenty of Yankees pants, however, have never seen a pair tagged like these that are attributed to being used by the New York Yankees. No name stitched in the waist, no year, etc. Just a 7. Are these even New York Yankees pants? How do we know they are not from a minor league team or even spring training?

In my opinion, there is no possible way that one can prove that these are Mantle pants, let along ever worn by anyone with the Yankees! Has anyone on this Forum ever seen Yankees pants tagged like this?

Thoughts?

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

ALWAYS BUYING PHILLIES, PORTLAND BEAVERS, PORTLAND MAVERICKS JERSEYS

Re: Lamsopon's Mantle Pants!

Broadway Rick & Lou Lampson. If those names don't trigger your Spider senses, nothing will.

Which bidder is Rick?

Banned

Correct me if I am wrong on this.

But if you pay close attention to the waistband pants mateirial and the actual #7 swatch affixed to the pants they are 2 totally different materials which would definitely lead me to believe that the #7 was added to it long after the pants were used.
    The #7 is on a heringbone stitch swatch which I don't know if that was common then but I could be wrong!!

After reading Broadway Rick's description of this item, I have an even greater appreciation for Mantle's abilities.

"He started the tape measure craze with two blasts over 530 feet in his 1953 campaign. In 1955 he hit his eighth longest, and one of the most spectacular homeruns of his career up to this point, a 550 yard mammoth blast that flew over the top of Comiskey Park off of Billy Pierce."
    ---Broadway Rick

A 1,650 ft home run must have been a sight to behold.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

BTW -- yes, for those who have asked, my email address is a reference to The Mick.

Banned

....honestly.....no joking.....how can these pants be attributed to Mantle, or for that matter, the Yankees? Someone on this Forum must know how Mantle's pants should be tagged. Are these even close?

Also interesting, Lampson's remarks about the Yankee letterhead. He notes that it should be framed with the pants, etc. He appears to at least have some experience in interior decorating! Likewise, when has anyone here ever seen an authenticator delve into describing a supporting LOA in such fashion?

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

I can only provide peripheral info. It's a different year, but here's how my 1960 Stengel pants are tagged

and my Kubek pants are tagged

Eric
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Not that I have anything constructive to add to this thread, but I couldn't help notice Howard's typo of Lampson's name... which reminded me of another word - Lampoon!

As defined, a lampoon is a work of literature, art, or the like, ridiculing severely the character or behavior of a person, society, etc.

Are these infamous LOAs considered a form of literature? Maybe we were not meant to take them seriously from the start!!

As the LOA states, the pants were most likely sourced from "the miners." Maybe that explains the use.

Brad Ausmus is the Bossmus: www.thebossmus.com
    Tony Eusebio Game Used Collection: www.TonyEusebio.com
    Houston Astros Game Used Collection: www.AstrosGameUsed.com
    chris.josefy@gmail.com

I posted this on the Pistons Milicic jersey thread but it's applicable here too. How sad that my post is applicable to two jerseys with Lampson LOA's in two days...

Everybody - I don't consider myself a particularly dumb person, but I'm starting to wonder, because this Lou Lampson thing really has me befuddled.
    Basically, through the many posts and evidence by posters, it is obvious that Lou Lampson just makes up a lot of things. And he hides behind ridiculous words like "examplars" to make him sound like, well, I have no idea, because I don't know what you're trying to do when you write that like.
    Now, some of you out there have relationships with auction houses that use Lampson. They must know that the guy is incompetent at the least, an outright criminal at the worst.
    So why do they keep sending stuff to him? I know the answer could be because he'll authenticate a shoe as game worn by Bigfoot in the Sonics-Blazers game of 2004 as typical of other Bigfoot worn examplars as long as he's being paid, and the auction houses could care less whether something is really game worn or not.
    If that's true, then I guess that answers my question, that the auction houses could care less whether something is really game used or not, so they use someone who has no idea whether something is game used to write LOA's. If that is the case, that's sad. But it's also criminal, and they're ripping people off to the tunes of hundreds of thousands of dollars over the years.
    If it's not true, and you think that the auction houses that do use him do actually care if something is what they say it is...then why the heck do they employ him?
    Anyway, I've got to get back to preparing my jerseys. I have a 1976-1977 blazers jersey with the team name on the back of the jersey I need to send off to Lampson. Although no known photos of this jersey exist, it fits in with known examplars of the blazers that season because they were putting the team name on the front vertically and if they were willing to do that then surely they would put it on the back too.

All this talk about Lou Lampoon made me wonder... I have been buying game used jerseys for years. Surely there has to be at least 1 of his LOA!!!s in my file. And so I opened the file up, and lo and behold... 1 of his LOA!!!s was there. And this was pretty good.

It was an LOA for a 1987 Mets BP #25. With utmost certainty, the BP was attributed to Keith Miller. After all, Miller played for the Mets in 1987 and wore #25.

What it doesn't mention is that ANOTHER player played for the 1987 Mets and wore #25 as well - Al Pedrique. Furthermore, Pedrique was the same size as Miller and played the same position. This of course takes away the "classic" argument "shows good second baseman use."

Now, I am not splitting hairs here. For a $100 dollar game used Mets BP in my favorite style of all time, I don't particularly care who wore it, because it makes a nice addition to my collection...

but what homework was done on it? My guess, none. I suppose QUANTITY over QUALITY...