Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Lampson's Mantle Pants!

Forum Readers-

http://cgi.ebay.com/1954-55-Mickey-M...QQcmdZViewItem

Offered by Broadway Rick is a pair of "1950's Mantle Pants" with 2 LOA's. The one letter is from some individual in 1950 who is seeking equipment from the Yankees. Please read this letter, as there is no connection anywhere in the letter to this particular oair of "Mantle" pants. Then read Lampson's LOA.

I've seen plenty of Yankees pants, however, have never seen a pair tagged like these that are attributed to being used by the New York Yankees. No name stitched in the waist, no year, etc. Just a 7. Are these even New York Yankees pants? How do we know they are not from a minor league team or even spring training?

In my opinion, there is no possible way that one can prove that these are Mantle pants, let along ever worn by anyone with the Yankees! Has anyone on this Forum ever seen Yankees pants tagged like this?

Thoughts?

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

ALWAYS BUYING PHILLIES, PORTLAND BEAVERS, PORTLAND MAVERICKS JERSEYS

Re: Lamsopon's Mantle Pants!

Broadway Rick & Lou Lampson. If those names don't trigger your Spider senses, nothing will.

Which bidder is Rick?

Banned

Correct me if I am wrong on this.

But if you pay close attention to the waistband pants mateirial and the actual #7 swatch affixed to the pants they are 2 totally different materials which would definitely lead me to believe that the #7 was added to it long after the pants were used.
    The #7 is on a heringbone stitch swatch which I don't know if that was common then but I could be wrong!!

Not that I have anything constructive to add to this thread, but I couldn't help notice Howard's typo of Lampson's name... which reminded me of another word - Lampoon!

As defined, a lampoon is a work of literature, art, or the like, ridiculing severely the character or behavior of a person, society, etc.

Are these infamous LOAs considered a form of literature? Maybe we were not meant to take them seriously from the start!!

As the LOA states, the pants were most likely sourced from "the miners." Maybe that explains the use.

Brad Ausmus is the Bossmus: www.thebossmus.com
    Tony Eusebio Game Used Collection: www.TonyEusebio.com
    Houston Astros Game Used Collection: www.AstrosGameUsed.com
    chris.josefy@gmail.com

After reading Broadway Rick's description of this item, I have an even greater appreciation for Mantle's abilities.

"He started the tape measure craze with two blasts over 530 feet in his 1953 campaign. In 1955 he hit his eighth longest, and one of the most spectacular homeruns of his career up to this point, a 550 yard mammoth blast that flew over the top of Comiskey Park off of Billy Pierce."
    ---Broadway Rick

A 1,650 ft home run must have been a sight to behold.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

BTW -- yes, for those who have asked, my email address is a reference to The Mick.

Banned

....honestly.....no joking.....how can these pants be attributed to Mantle, or for that matter, the Yankees? Someone on this Forum must know how Mantle's pants should be tagged. Are these even close?

Also interesting, Lampson's remarks about the Yankee letterhead. He notes that it should be framed with the pants, etc. He appears to at least have some experience in interior decorating! Likewise, when has anyone here ever seen an authenticator delve into describing a supporting LOA in such fashion?

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

I can only provide peripheral info. It's a different year, but here's how my 1960 Stengel pants are tagged

and my Kubek pants are tagged

Eric
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Banned

Eric-
    Your pants are tagged the same as other Yankees from this era and thus, the reason for my initial post.

I've NEVER seen a pair of Mantle pants or for that matter, Yankees pants, tagged with just a uniform number. They should have year, name, etc.

Again, how in the world can Lampson attribute these to the Yankees, let alone Mantle?

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

howard,

you have a real knack for finding the most comical items in the hobby. perhaps you could leverage this into some sort of regular feature - "howard wolf's theatre of the absurd".

anyway, the confusing part for me is the lampson letter. specifically, lampson states: "..with a supporting letter of provenance which indirectly supports the pants' origins."

the "supporting letter of provenance" that lampson refers to actually offers no provenance whatsoever. it's simply a letter that says nothing more than "write us in the future. maybe we can help then". the letter says absolutely nothing about any pants nor does it even say that the yankees ever gave anything of any sort to the recipient. it's a basic kiss-off letter sent to anyone who makes a request that cannot be accomodated. how does a team letter stating "write us in the future and maybe we'll try to help" support anything other than the fact that the recipient got a polite brush-off? this is what qualifies as a "letter of provenance" by lampson? hot dog! i've got dozens of generic team letters saying "sorry can't help you". i never imagined these were "letters of provenance"!

anyway, after lampson waxes poetic about his affection for the letterhead, he goes on to say "Obviously, the D'Andrea family had a relationship with Weiss and the Yankees, and obtained uniforms and equipment from the parent club". if I can understand this then, a letter from yankees to joe d'andrea stating "write us in the future and maybe we can help" is evidence that joe d'andrea "obtained uniforms and equipment from the parent club"? if anything i believe it's evidence that, in that instance, the yankees didn't give him anything. it's completely bizarre to think a letter saying that they couldn't help him out is evidence that they did help him out. after reading letters like this, it's genuinely difficult for me to believe that lampson hasn't completely lost it.

rudy.