Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Starting Up - Detective Work? (ie M Camby 96-97 Gamer)

I'm very new to the Hobby. I want to start a collection (to display) and focus on my hometown teams and various players I like.

There is a jersey I saw that popped up on eBay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200085462731

What way is there to do detective work on a short term auction, where it can be difficult to find photos, match tagging etc. What signs do you look for, and identifiers?

I'm probably leaving a lot of things out, and will ask as I go along. Thanks for any help, much appreciated.

Re: Starting Up - Detective Work? (ie M Camby 96-97 Gamer)

Basketball jerseys, I personally believe, are the most difficult to authentic use. I truly believe most are not even worn by a player. However, the seller is very reputable (the only person I'll buy NBA stuff from), and has a terrific collection and sources.

Just call him up and ask about the amount of wear. He is always very helpful.

Good luck!!!
    "We need rebirth of the American tradition of leadership ... in private life as well." "'Trust me' government asks that we concentrate our hopes and dreams on one man; that we trust him to do what's best for us. My view of government places trust not in one person or one party, but in those values that transcend persons and parties. The trust is where it belongs--in the people." - Ronald Reagan"

http://www.freewebs.com/chrishwish/

That seems like a low price for a Camby game used jersey. If it's 100% authentic, and confirmed game worn, I'd say it's a great price. Otherwise, it's probably just decent for agame issued.. Best thing with these are team COAs/LOAs, etc.. if the team does in fact issues them. They don't always seem to accompany the jerseys though.

SC

Quote Originally Posted by ahuff View Post
    Basketball jerseys, I personally believe, are the most difficult to authentic use. I truly believe most are not even worn by a player.
    I totally agree when it comes to recent superstar jerseys made by Nike. Where are the scrubs and bench-warmers? I only see LeBron and Yao and Kobe, or it just seems like it. Where are the auction houses that sell the modern-day scrubs or even minor stars? Are Dallas Maverick jerseys the only ones truly accountable?

I didn't bid on the jersey, as its hard to determine. I was checking his online store and he had another Camby Jersey with Size 50, which made me question the difference in sizing between a home and away jersey, although he was selling all the "scrubs". from that year. He did have a few post 9-11 jerseys with GU Jersey Patch Identifiers. The NBA needs someone like Meigray to sell their jerseys.

I have purchased several jerseys from the seller (Wayne) and have found him to be a gentleman in every way. I met him a the National in Cleveland a few years ago and he offered to add a Browns game used jersey that I had brought to the show to sell to his dipaly rack (front and center) and try and sell it for me. It sold and he wouldn't accept any commission! And I had never met him or purchased anything from him before! He just wanted to gain a future customer. He has always had great contacts and the stuff I purchased has been excellent. One return I made with him (due to the item being advertised on his website without pics and was indicated as a larger size that it was, was handled with ease.

About the Camby jersey, I lived in Toronto until last month and have has a few Raptors jerseys of that era. It looks right from a tagging standpoint, but I can't comment on Camby's size preferences in particular. This is a rare and popular. discontinued style jersey and for the winning bid, a very good deal. Camby's Raptors jerseys have not brought nearly as much as other players that went through Toronto because like Vince Carter and T-mac he was percieved as "jumping ship" from the franchise.

chris
    WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca