X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PJK
    • Feb 2006

Re: Question regarding Getty Images

This service has never been for the general public you must remember . Getty, Corbis etc. are out there to provide images for the media and nothing else. MeiGray does have a deal with Getty to provide images for there NHL deal, but it's not cheap.

Comment

• BarryMeisel
      • Jan 1970

Hi everybody,

PJK, I respectfully disagree with your assertion that our pricing "it's not cheap." If you are going to make that claim, you ought to have presented our pricing structure so collectors can decide for themselves.

Yes, we have a deal with Getty to make photo-matches available for the NHL jerseys we sell.

Pricing is scaled based on the value of the jersey.

Prices are as follows for photos of jerseys purchased through MeiGray:
      $35 for an 8 X10 photographic LOA for jerseys valued at $495 or less.
      $50 for an 8 X10 photographic LOA for jerseys valued at $500-$695.
      $75 for an 8 X10 photographic LOA for jerseys valued at $700-$2,495.
      $100 for an 8 X10 photographic LOA for jerseys valued at $2,500 or more.

Prices are as follows for photos of jerseys not purchased through MeiGray:
      $100 for an 8 X10 photographic LOA for jerseys valued at $1,495 or less.
      $150 for an 8 X10 photographic LOA for jerseys valued at $1,500-$2,495.
      $200 for an 8 X10 photographic LOA for jerseys valued at $2,500-$3,995.
      $250 for an 8 X10 photographic LOA for jerseys valued at $4,000 or more.

We believe that pricing structure is very reasonable considering:

1. Getty services the media, not individual consumers; and
      2. A photographic letter of authenticity with rock-solid photo match significantly enhances the value of any game-worn jersey; and
      3. This service includes lifetime registration into the MeiGrade System. Collectors have come to use the MeiGrade System database to ensure the jerseys they are buying on the secondary market are legit.

A good example was the game-issued Arod discussed recently on this Forum. It was sold in the secondary market as game-used. Had the purchaser checked before buying it, the purchaser would have learned that the jersey was game-issued, and not game-used as claimed by a dealer who did not forward the MGS paperwork but replaced it with a factually incorrect letter of authenticity.

As has been discussed here before, MeiGray defines photo-match as an exact match of the exact jersey based on physical evidence found on the photo, and on the jersey (stick marks, tears, imperfections, dirt stains, etc).

We signed a deal with Getty to service collectors of game-worn hockey jerseys through our NHL-MeiGray partnership. If there is enough interest from members on this Forum, I will look into Getty's interest in allowing us to offer collectors single-use purchasing opportunities of photo-matches.

Let me know,
      Thanks,

Barry

Comment

• hblakewolf
        Banned
        • Nov 2005

Barry and fellow Forum Readers-

Barry notes that there may be an opportunity to purchase non-NHL photos if the demand is great enough. Folks, this is an unreal opportunity and I for one would love to have a chance to purchase several photos that perfectly match quite a few of my Phillies jerseys.

Barry, put my name on the top of the list and let me know when I can send you my first request.

Thanks.

Howard Wolf
        hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Comment

• BaseballGM
          Banned
          • Jan 2006

I don't see why you feel that there should be two tiers of pricing. More people would be interested if not for the high prices of non-purchased MeiGray jerseys.

Comment

• RobSteinmetz
            • Jan 1970

Count me in as someone who would be very excited about the opportunity to purchase images from Getty at a more reasonable price. About 3 months ago I purchased 2 images from them, and I ended up paying just over $200 each (for personal use, NOT for publication). If you are trying to buy a photo that matches up with a $250 jersey, it's probably not worth it - but for gloves, bats, and jerseys that are more valuable, paying $100 or so for a photo is very reasonable.
            Rob Steinmetz
            www.authenticgamers.com
            authenticgamers@aol.com

Paying top dollar for Chicago Cubs game used equipment!

Comment

• trsent
              Banned
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by BaseballGM
              I don't see why you feel that there should be two tiers of pricing. More people would be interested if not for the high prices of non-purchased MeiGray jerseys.
              So, MeiGray should do this as a public service?

There is two prices because they profit off items you buy from them, and if you are not buying an item and just a photo, they have to pay for that photo so their reasoning is acceptable.

Looking at the responses from Rob and Howard I do not see any issues.

Comment

• BaseballGM
                Banned
                • Jan 2006

If they were doing that as a public service than it would be free. My point was that charging those prices (almost 3x) is unreasonable for me. I don't own higher end items so paying $100 for a photo doesn't make sense. -Kevin

Comment

• kylehess10
                  • Feb 2006

Here's a way to get your photo matched picture for 19 cents. Find the picture you want (I usually use google images cuz theres no logo across the photo). Then simply print it using walmarts online photo center. It's the same price as regular photos (19 cents each for a 4x6). I actually just got some printed today. I got a few 5x7 pics printed to get autographed since I can't afford to buy tons of photos. They have really nice color AND it's on high-quality paper. Also it only cost me $2 which was already paid by credit card when I first ordered them on walmart. Here's a link to it:

kylehess941@hotmail.com

My Game Used Collection:
                  http://www.wix.com/kylehess941/gameused

http://www.kylehessphotography.com/

Comment

• icollectDCsports
                    • Nov 2005

I get tired of people busting on MeiGray for offering something that would not otherwise be available to the general public. I'd love the opportunity to get similarly priced images for my non-NHL game used items.

Comment

• EndzoneSports
                      • Nov 2005

Barry:

Please sign me up as at least one more intrested non-hockey party and count me as the 3rd in line.
                      Patrick W. Scoggin
                      Endzone Sports Charities
                      www.EndzoneSportsCharities.org

Comment

• worldchamps
                        • Dec 2005

Getty Images

Ok, I saw some previous posts so I wanted to ask if anyone has ever purchased an image from them. going through the pricing it looks as if I purchase the picture it is $220. How does this work? Do they send the image to you as a computer file, negative?

Basically I want to purcahse an immage and have it printed on a canvas, I believe the term is art glicee.

Is this somethign where I can take this to a phtography shop and have them print it up.

If you have seen the Tiger Woods Signed Masters Flag display where there is an image of him put on canvas and then a Masters Flag displayed above it, this is what I am looking at doing.

Thanks for any help

Worldchamps

On a side note, what would stop someone from buying one of these images, and printing up 1000's of 8x10's and selling them???
                        sigpic

Comment

• suave1477
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2006

Re: Getty Images

World champs how about the cost!!!

It cost you $220 to buy it
                          It costs at your local photo shop to print each photo $5 x 1000 = $5000
                          Also is there that much demand for that particular photo that your really going to sell a 1000?

So lets do the math.
                          $5,000
                          $220
                          + demand

= chances are your going to be stuck with a lot of photos

Comment

• PK
                            • Feb 2006

I am also pretty sure you have to be a professional photograpger or a business that deals with media outlets to purchase photos from Getty. I do not think they sell to individuals.

Comment

• suave1477
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2006

from last i heard they do sell to individuals but its costly

Comment

• worldchamps
                                • Dec 2005

Well that was all on a side note, I was just thinking.

My real question is I really wanted to know if anyone had purchased from them and how it works. There is one image that would be worth that to me, if I could get it blown up and put on canvas.

I am wanting to replica an Upper Deck Item, and by going this route I think it could be done at a 1/4 of the cost.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...