X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kjjavic
    • Dec 2005

100 year old Pigskin Restored

Hello guys,
    I shared this football as a pickup about a year and a half ago. I picked it up at an estate auction mixed in a box of junk. From the same estate auction, I also acquired about 5 team photos, and a bunch of other ephemera from a school called St. Marks, which is a college prep school in Southboro Mass. In addition, I won a 1907 Yale team photo and a Saint Marks football sweater in amazing condition.

The football was my favorite pickup, and is a Spalding J5 melon ball, but was in pretty poor condition, with the bladder in pieces, and the ball sucked in on itself. The ball has the year 07 painted on 1 side, and on the other the score of a game between St Marks and Milton Academy, and the date October 14, 1907.

Recently I saught the advice of someone who restores vintage sports items, and decided to have him restore it for me. And I must say, I am thrilled with the results. He did fantastic work and updated me every couple of days with the progress he made including photos showing the process.

I love the ball even more now, and it displays so much better, and I love the old melon shape.

I highly recommend the restorer and you can see some of his other work here:

Below are some before and afters.

• slidekellyslide
    • Aug 2005

Re: 100 year old Pigskin Restored

That looks great Keith. Can you take us through the steps to how it was restored?

Comment

• MGHProductions
      • Oct 2005

Thats an awesome restore job!! Ball looks awesome!!

Comment

• kjjavic
        • Dec 2005

First, he removed the bladder which was falling apart. Then I believe he cleaned the leather with a leather cleaner called Lexol. He then filled the ball with a lightweight filler to give it its shape, relaced it, and used some sort of leather polish to finish off the job. I am probably skipping steps, but I think thats the jist of it.

Comment

• HiNeighbor
          • Nov 2005

What a beautiful restoration.

Very nice job.

Greg

Comment

• vintagesportscollector
            • Nov 2005

Sweet ball Keith- I want to get myself one like that!!

-Joe

Comment

Working...