Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Barry Halper Posting

Guys:

I didn't see a seperate Barry Halper discussion thread, but I thought it worth noting in this forum (since we're all vintage memorabilia collectors and some may not have already heard) that Barry Halper passed away last month.

I've posted a new entry in my blog (http://aaronsroom.blogspot.com/) devoted to Barry and the inspiration he provided to my collection when I was younger, plus resources to material to learn more about his collection.

Halper really was the first of the great baseball memorabilia collectors!

--Aaron

Re: Barry Halper Posting

Aaron- Thanks for the wonderful memoriam. Barry Halper was a huge inspiration for me as well. Living in NJ, about 20 mins from his home, I have often dreamt about having the opportunity to visit. I had been tempted to just ring his door bell one day and say .."Mr. Halper, you don't know me, but I'll show you mine if you show me yours!!" (memorabilia rooms of course!)

Of course he would laugh at my pathetic collection, but knowng what a class act he was, I wouldn't be suprised if he did humor me.

I have a copy of the Ultimate Baseball Memorabilia Collection VHS, but I have never seen the top photo. That is a great image of his basement. But I must say I wish you had NOT showed it to me.....having just scaled down my memorabilia room. I am starting to get the shakes!! MUST....RESIST...URGE...TO...FILL..UP...ROOM.

I NEED AN INTERVENTION!!!

-Joe
    http://www.geocities.com/vintagespor...tor/index.html

Joe, that photo came out of Halper's Smithsonian article. And that wasn't even the nicest wide-shot (too big for my scanner!). I would highly-recommend picking up the magazine. In alot of ways, it's better than the video.

This week's SCD is mostly devoted to Barry Halper. It's a nice tribute and a must read.
    Eric

Aaron- I picked up a copy of the Smithsonian article today on ebay. I look forward to reviewing it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by aaron1050
    Guys:

I didn't see a seperate Barry Halper discussion thread, but I thought it worth noting in this forum (since we're all vintage memorabilia collectors and some may not have already heard) that Barry Halper passed away last month.

I've posted a new entry in my blog (http://aaronsroom.blogspot.com/) devoted to Barry and the inspiration he provided to my collection when I was younger, plus resources to material to learn more about his collection.

Halper really was the first of the great baseball memorabilia collectors!

--Aaron
    Nice blog Aaron. I thought Halper acquired most of the valuable items in his collection because the stars who donated them thought of his collection as sort of a museum that wouldn't be used for profit. He must have done pretty well when he sold it.

Quote Originally Posted by no_drama_plz
    Nice blog Aaron. I thought Halper acquired most of the valuable items in his collection because the stars who donated them thought of his collection as sort of a museum that wouldn't be used for profit. He must have done pretty well when he sold it.
    That's pretty much true. And if you watch the 1991 video, Halper makes clear repeatedly that there was no point placing a monetary value on his collection because he never planned on selling it.

He did take from some for profting from the same people who trusted that the guy they were giving stuff to was not just a "real" collector, but also a friend who had no intention of ever selling their gifts and mementos.

OTOH, alot of the players and former players who gave Halper stuff had no problem with Halper selling his collection. I think his failing health may have played a big part in his motivation to sell and getting the 'ok' from all those players, but that's just speculation on my part.

And thanks for the kind words about my blog. It's fun for me to write it!

--Aaron
    http://aaronsroom.blogspot.com/

Most blogs are pretty useless - yours has a nice format with just the right amount of pictures and info. Some magazine publishers could take notes. -runscott