Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: 2 Elway White 94 Throwbacks- What are the odds?

How do we know who authenticates it? The authenticators are listed as the "100% Authentic team" and he's listed as a member of the team.

Also, on AMI's site, they describe the authentication process
    "Standards and Criteria
    Each item is examined and handled by our team of experts. First, we have our team sift out any lightly-used or game-issued jerseys. Second, the appropriate authenticator is consulted to examine the jerseys and/or equipment based on their expertise and knowledge in that particular sport. Third, the jersey or equipment must display evidence of acceptable use or have player/team provenance."

Then it says "100% Authentic opinion is not based on only one experts opinion, but rather is a compilation of information through various sources and experts."

How specifically do we know who looks at the items? I would assume then that more than one person puts his/her name on the COA.

If you're saying AMI does not allow consignors to authenticate their own items then that would remove a conflict of interest.

In response to your question- it's not that there's a problem, it's that valuable information about conflicts of interest or lack thereof should be shared with potential buyers.

One more question- why did AMI take down the Elway/Bob Case page i referred to?

Thanks in advance for your help
    Eric
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Quote Originally Posted by CollectGU View Post
    I haven't asked but I think that Bob can consign something as long as he doesn't authenticate it. What would be the problem there? I think this is done at many auction houses...

Regards,
    Dave
    Very interesting Dave...Can you tell us who the consignor is of this jersey that was in AMI's last auction?....you only need one guess...

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/A...ction_ID=41053

The title of the thread: 2 Elway White 94 Throwbacks- What are the odds?

I would think that most if not all experienced NFL collectors would know/understand the odds are obviously pretty good. The amount of "shock" by posters in this thread amazes me to be honest. As a Jets fan I know that there are many more "game worn" Joe Namath jerseys on the market than really is acceptable. Is this because they are fakes? Well I am sure a couple might be but for the most part any knowledgeable Jets/NFL collector understands the Jets made up many Namath jerseys in the locker room for the purposes of Joe or another Jets rep to give away (also a reason why so many have different attributes such as NOB directly on verso, etc...). It also happened when Lott and Boomer joined the Jets as well - you see many of thier pieces floating around. It doesn't suprise me at all to you see multiple Elway throwbacks. Determining which one(s) were game used might be tough considering the limited games used so any buyer would have to really bear down and do some serious research...why leave it to or depend on Lampson or any other authenticator? It stands to reason that many of the older more popular players had extra jerseys made up (in the locker room) for the purpose of meeting demand for giving them away.

People's shock in this thread was over two jerseys listed as "game used" the style of which was only worn in one game- the jerseys were two different sizes in two different auction houses simultaneously and authenticated by the same person- Lou Lampson.

American Memorabilia did the right thing and took theirs down because of the evidence presented to them.

Lampson has again put his name on the COA of that jersey pulled from AMI and it's now being offered as "game used" in Vintage Authentics. I emailed Steve at Vintage Authentics and will let people know when I hear back.
    Eric

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    People's shock in this thread was over two jerseys listed as "game used" the style of which was only worn in one game- the jerseys were two different sizes in two different auction houses simultaneously and authenticated by the same person- Lou Lampson.

American Memorabilia did the right thing and took theirs down because of the evidence presented to them.

Lampson has again put his name on the COA of that jersey pulled from AMI and it's now being offered as "game used" in Vintage Authentics. I emailed Steve at Vintage Authentics and will let people know when I hear back.
    Eric
    You neglected to add that the actual Elway jersey worn in that ONE game that this style was worn is in Canton in the HOF, thus unless he changed at halftime, not a single one on the market was "game used".

I'd also like to know what the trail is from Bob Case to Vintage Authentics...

Just heard from Steve at Vintage Authentics. Big time credit to them- they have pulled the Elway jersey from their auction.

They did the right thing. I wonder how it got there.
    Thanks
    Eric

Hey Eric...

did he tell you who the consignor was?...or offer any other info?

He did not say who the consignor is.

Thanks Eric...

I guess Dave O'Brien must have suddenly left for vacation since he hasn't responded to the questions posed to him...