Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Jackie Robinson's number to be worn again..

I haven't heard, but it's likely each jersey has the roster number of the player who wore it marked somewhere on the jeresey, could be as simple as marker on the maker's logo, or inside the tail, etc. Hopefully each team's equipment personnel took the time to clearly mark each jersey in some fashion, but that's probably asking to much. Will be interesting to see the winning bids..hope the helmets are auctioned as well. Jay.

Just got back from the Twins game...Every April 15th is "Jackie Robinson Day" from now on. I have mixed feelings.

Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

A few tidbits about all this............You know what's a shame about all this, is that Larry Doby gets no press - and he was only 2 1/2 months behind Jackie if I am not mistaken - and the first in the Americal League. I think I heard or read somewhere that the Indians are going to do something this year in honor of him - but he still gets no press in comparison to Jackie...........it was kind of weird seeing Jeter at the plate yesterday wearing #42 for the Yankees............Still can't believe Mo blew the save to Scutaro!! I am not a confident Yankees fan right now with three starters on the DL.......

I saw the Yankee game too and couldn't figure out who that guy wearing #42, who looked just like Jeter, was at the plate in the first inning. I was happy to see him, as well as Cano and Torre honor Jackie. ESPN has a nice little article about Cano and how he was actually named after Jackie Robinson.

As fot the staff, the injuries are concerning, but it's to be expected this early on, especially with the cold weather in April. Pettitte has been very encouraging. He's been great in each of his last two starts.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU, JIM. That's exactly what I was thinking. I do not want to take a thing away from Jackie and, not wanting to be a heretic, would never say a negative word against him, but there were others that deserve the spotlight. I think Doby is a prime example. Likewise, I think the Dodgers became a powerhouse because of Campanella (another black man), not Jackie. Jackie was the first and will always remain important, but I think he gets the entire spotlight when others deserve to share in the glory. Doby put up with the same racist crap Jackie did, but I wonder if the Barry Bonds and Torii Hunters and Ken Griffeys and...know who Doby is. They may, but they may not. It would be more fitting to have a diversity day in baseball, not a Jackie Robinson day. Jackie was the first, but many suffered similar experiences.

I have been a little turned off by the whole Jackie Robinson weekend for the same reasons mentioned above. What about Larry Doby and all of the other black players who joined MLB shortly after. I don't mean to take anything away from Jackie but come on. MLB is making it sound like Jackie single handidly eliminated racism in baseball. Jackie may have had it the worst but by no means did Larry Doby and the others who followed have it easy.

It is kind of sad really. Through all of this a silent statement is being instilled, "Be first because no one cares about second."
    Wanted: Minnesota Twins throwback or special event jerseys.

Not to keep on harping on this point - but how about some kudos for Branch Rickey?? He bucked the system - you hear about him some in the whole Jackie thing - but he's a secondary figure in all this......he was the one who made it happen..........now, Jackie took a lot of crap as a ballplayer and deserves all the recognition he has gotten over the years - but others should be deserving of some credit too........For me - Doby and Rickey should stand out too.........

I agree that Larry Doby is overlooked and should be recognized. But let's face it, a person who is the second to do something is not going to be remembered the way the first person is. We have a Columbus day but I don't know who was the second person was to sail here after Columbus "discovered" America and I know Lindberg was the first to fly the Atlantic solo but does anyone know who the second person was or who was the second person to climb Mount Everset? That's just life. And if Robinson hadn't been first would Doby have been up as quickly if Robinson hadn't showed it could be done. Robinson was first and thus we recognize him in a way we don't the others. That having been said, it would be nice to see Doby (and some of the others) recognized in some way.