Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: I would like to see a game used convention

There was a sports equipment show that used to be held in the Washington/Baltimore area every year. It was organized in part by Phil Wood and it was a blast. It lasted for a few years and it was one of my favorite shows-we set up at every one-there were about 5 of them in total (best I can recall.) Around 20 to 30 dealers would set up but it was a lot of fun and very educational. Collectors and dealers would bring items and the authenticity or lack thereof would be discussed. This was the old days when the consensus of opinions counted-the time when everyone shared their information freely and did not walk around like gunslingers in the Old West with their pens and letters of authenticity. It was a much more fun time. I also remember that card dealers were not allowed to set up but it was OK to show up with memorabilia. I think that the problem was that organizing a show like this, although a small one, was very time consuming and almost like a job (at least part time.) I am all for it and was giving thought to it the other day before I saw this post. If it would be on the East Coast I would certainly be willing to contribute time and/or sponsorship.

Mike Heffner

Quote Originally Posted by hiramman View Post

Eric - what about a poll of some kind listing major cities and maybe we could see what everyone thinks.

If it is within driving distance, I'd be for meeting up with other local collector's and carpooling up and back. I think it would even be fun visiting and discussing the hobby as we drive to the convention.
    VERY good idea! There should be a poll for cities, and for the chosen cities, there should be another poll for exactly where to meet up.

I'll probably take a bit of heat for this, but I vote for Omaha, Nebraska as the meeting site.

It's a good sized city which is really centrally located in the United States. Many hotels available and it would also be withing driving distance for nearly anyone with the exception of the extremities.

I'm in Minnesota and would have absolutely no problem driving to Omaha. I believe from the twin cities it is around a 6 hour drive which is a piece of cake in good weather.

Plus I'm not a flyer so that would be beneficial.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tim Byington
    Hall of Fame Bats
    tim@hofbats.com

I think it would be a good idea to set up some type of poll to find out where the members of this forum live. Based on that, pick a spot closest to where the bulk of the members reside.

George

I like PK idea of seeing if Meigray would branch out and make it more of a all around sports show. They already have an up and running show that keeps getting bigger. Why not make it huge National type game used show.
    The big question is how many big time dealers would do it and set up?
    Somehow have a big time live auction be a centerpiece of the show as well. Promoted well in advance. Maybe this forum could run one from it.
    Get big 4 auctions of MLB.com, NFL.com, NBA.com, NHL.com have some type of presence with items for sale.

Now come on guys, if you're going to have a convention there is only one place in the US to do it, if you're going to do it right...

Quote Originally Posted by MooseDog View Post
    Now come on guys, if you're going to have a convention there is only one place in the US to do it, if you're going to do it right...

But if you REALLY wanna do it right, then you'd have only 1 choice

Quote Originally Posted by jdr3 View Post
    Warren Humphries house in L.A.!
    Warren lives in an apartment. He barely has enough room for his pet cat. Besides, Los Angeles is a lame city, filled with lame people. I feel very sad for families who take their summer vacation to Hollywood. Depressing...potholes, derelicts, crackheads, pigeon excrament, general filth, public-defacators, he-shes, smog, earthquakes, graffitti, traffic, people who think they're better than anyone, fair-weathered sports fans, vandals, thieves, con-artists, crooks, wanna-bes...otherwise, Los Angeles is a great place.
    My vote is for the gulf coast of Florida.
    Did I mention the traffic in L.A.?

If you do decide on a convention, you may want to keep the location top secret.

Kylehess,

MeiGray welcomes constructive comments and criticisms and encourages healthy conversation of our business. And I agree with you that for those who are not hockey game-worn jersey collectors, the MeiGray NJ Expo does not really address the desires of some of you in this post.

But I will not permit you to make such an uninformed and irresponsible statement on a public Forum like this ... "plus their pricing is ridiculous for both dealer tables and admission." ... without a reply.

Ridiculous? For $15 we hosted an Expo for game-worn hockey jerseys in which collectors were able to view some of the most historic game worn jerseys on the planet owned by the major hockey dealers and collectors from around the country.

For $15 these collectors were able to view a mini-exhibit from the Hockey Hall of Fame, who were hosted by MeiGray, at MeiGray's expense, at this Expo. For $15 these collectors met former Philadelphia Flyer Dave Schultz, who appeared at MeiGray's expense as part of our relationship with the NHL Players Association.

For $15 these collectors were invited to a Friday night hospitality suite hosted by MeiGray to meet and greet other collectors from around the country. Every collector who attended the show, for their $15 registration fee, received a $50 off coupon from MeiGray for their next purchase, and a free blank hockey jersey from the NHL-MGG Program's overstock. And this event was held in a luxurious hotel 45 minutes from NY City.

For $175, last year's dealer table price, dealers of game-worn hockey jerseys found nearly 200 avid collectors and curious onlookers eager to purchase game-worn hockey jerseys. When the show end, every dealer was extremely pleased with his afternoon.

Please feel free to comment whenever you want. But may I respectfully suggest you have a better idea of what you are commenting upon before you criticize MeiGray's business practices.

Regards,

Barry