Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: I would like to see a game used convention

Quote Originally Posted by BarryMeisel View Post
    Kylehess,

MeiGray welcomes constructive comments and criticisms and encourages healthy conversation of our business. And I agree with you that for those who are not hockey game-worn jersey collectors, the MeiGray NJ Expo does not really address the desires of some of you in this post.

But I will not permit you to make such an uninformed and irresponsible statement on a public Forum like this ... "plus their pricing is ridiculous for both dealer tables and admission." ... without a reply.

Ridiculous? For $15 we hosted an Expo for game-worn hockey jerseys in which collectors were able to view some of the most historic game worn jerseys on the planet owned by the major hockey dealers and collectors from around the country.

For $15 these collectors were able to view a mini-exhibit from the Hockey Hall of Fame, who were hosted by MeiGray, at MeiGray's expense, at this Expo. For $15 these collectors met former Philadelphia Flyer Dave Schultz, who appeared at MeiGray's expense as part of our relationship with the NHL Players Association.

For $15 these collectors were invited to a Friday night hospitality suite hosted by MeiGray to meet and greet other collectors from around the country. Every collector who attended the show, for their $15 registration fee, received a $50 off coupon from MeiGray for their next purchase, and a free blank hockey jersey from the NHL-MGG Program's overstock. And this event was held in a luxurious hotel 45 minutes from NY City.

For $175, last year's dealer table price, dealers of game-worn hockey jerseys found nearly 200 avid collectors and curious onlookers eager to purchase game-worn hockey jerseys. When the show end, every dealer was extremely pleased with his afternoon.

Please feel free to comment whenever you want. But may I respectfully suggest you have a better idea of what you are commenting upon before you criticize MeiGray's business practices.

Regards,

Barry

Sorry, I wasn't trying to criticize Meigray in any way, I was just saying that the prices were high. Most memorabilia shows near me charge nothing for admission, and charge like $80 for a weekend show for dealers. I was comparing your prices to theirs, which is why I said the prices were high.

Kyle

Hi Kylehess,

You didn't say high. You said ridiculous.

No hard feelings, no problem. Just please remember that before you make statements like you did, you should have an idea of what you are talking about.

I wouldn't criticize or comment or compare our Expo to the shows near you, because I've never been to any near you. Conversely, until you attend our show, or until you know something about it, you should not have, either.

All the best. And you are welcome to attend our show this July 14. In fact, if you wish to attend I will waive the $15 admission fee for you and a guest of your choice since you find the fee so high.

Even if you don't like hockey, or hockey collecting, I believe you would learn a lot about the game-worn hobby, and high-level authenticating, by attending a MeiGray Expo.

Respectfully,

Barry

while you guys decide, if anyone wants to "gather" during the National, I'm about 1/2 hour away. We can do an informal "chat/BS" type get-together, burgers and beer and whatever, then head to the show. I can't put anyone up, but I can open my house for hanging out.

Ken

Also, it should be noted that we have no smog here in Cleveland, and very little in terms of traffic jams! Deserted buildings, snow in April, and a lousy football team, sure, but no smog!

Ken do you have a link with info on the National? I am in Rochester about 4 hour drive and may make the trip.

Kudos to Barry, I was reading kylehess10 relpy and was going to reply but could not have done it any better then Barry!!!

I wonder how many on here have ever tried to put on an expo??? Anyone one?? I have done trade shows and special events for almost 15 years, almost as long as kylehess10 has been alive since I have read his posts that he is still a student. It is not an easy thing at all. One show is a full time job for the show organizer plus a lot of $$ out of their own pocket with no guarantee of making any money back.

I can safely say that April is a little late to start to organize a game used expo with dealers and the whole 9 yards. If you are just going to have a get together at a bar or soemthing and show off your own stuff that can be easely arranged for little cost except for travel, hotel. food and car rental. But I do not see many people spending that type of $$ to attend that type of event.

I stll suggest attending the Meigray Expo as a place to meet up and see what actually happens first hand and start to plan your own expo for next year.

You will also be able to speak with dealers who know the business and learn valuable info. Plus if Barry gets enough feedback, I would bet the $37 dollars in my pocket he would think about expanding his expo as Meigray is #1 in all of the game used field.

HOPE TO SEE YOU IN JULY, IF NOT THEN AT THE NATIONAL. and kylehess10, if you are over 21, on top of Barry picking up you $15 fee, I will buy you all your beer while at the expo!!

CHEERS

Matt

Banned

Well as far as cost to a get together at a bar or lounge of some sort, is really not that costly contrary to what others say but everyone has there own opinion.

Personally before turning this into a whole organized expo first evovling around Hockey items and hopefully one day going towards baseball doesn't give me goose bumps.

I personally would just like it to start off as a small gathering amongst friends / members of this forum.

Before we decide to be the next International Car Show.

No links yet, I'm sure they'll be out soon.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    I personally would just like it to start off as a small gathering amongst friends / members of this forum.

Before we decide to be the next International Car Show.
    Hello Everyone,

I have been traveling this week but am also trying to keep up to date on the forum threads. After reading all the posts on this thread, I would like to offer the ability to use the Game Used Universe booth at the National (we will be set up in the corporate section) as a place where members can come at any time to get to know one another and share experiences/information in person. GUU could keep a log of when members come by as well as when they might be able to come back to the booth if other members would like to meet them in person. We can also discuss getting together outside the show if people would like to meet in a more casual setting.

In addition, I believe some of the GUU experts will be there throughout the convention and we can share information and discuss the possibilities of putting a formal show together if there is enough interest. If a show would be beneficial to the members of this site, GUU would be happy to look into the possibility of hosting it.

What do you guys think? I will be back at my computer later tonight and would be happy to answer any questions at that time if this idea seems appealing.

Sincerely,
    Chris Cavalier

PK - I believe Kyle has said he just turned 17, so beer should be out of the question.

I understand what Kyle was saying, since I remember being a 17 year old collector and on a student's budget. Don't be too hard on the guy. He seems to me to be an enthusiastic collector and adds a great deal of input on the forum. I wish there were more young collectors with his attitude toward baseball & collecting these days. We should all encourage our young collectors to be more involved. Plus it looks like he's on his way to having an awesome collection.

I know where Barry is coming from. Putting on shows of any kind of that magnitude is really unbelievable these days. I can't imagine the headaches involved.

I'm here in the Atlanta area, too and we just don't have any big shows anymore. The days of the big shows of the 80's & early 90's have come and gone and those were probably a bit before Kyle's time.

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by hiramman View Post
    PK - I believe Kyle has said he just turned 17, so beer should be out of the question.

I understand what Kyle was saying, since I remember being a 17 year old collector and on a student's budget. Don't be too hard on the guy. He seems to me to be an enthusiastic collector and adds a great deal of input on the forum. I wish there were more young collectors with his attitude toward baseball & collecting these days. We should all encourage our young collectors to be more involved. Plus it looks like he's on his way to having an awesome collection.
    Hello Jimmie,

Thanks for making this post. I think that is a very astute observation and I agree that Kyle meant no harm. I also think his knowledge and fervor for the hobby is great to see and I really enjoy reading his posts.

Sincerely,
    Chris