X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RobSteinmetz
    • Jan 1970

Game Used Universe Reception/Expo at National in Cleveland

Hi Everyone.

In a hobby that has lost touch with good old fashioned face-to-face networking and horse trading, I absolutely love this concept. How would everyone feel about giving this idea a whirl at this year's National in Cleveland? Game Used Universe could sponsor a collector's reception and expo in a small conference room/multipurpose room at a hotel in the Cleveland area (near the convention center). The event could be held after the show closes, and could be open to all GUU members. We could have space for collectors to exhibits their favorite treasures, network, trade, and enjoy some drinks and appetizers. Personally speaking, I would be much more likely to attend the National every year if I had something like this to look forward to. This could be a "test" for future events in other parts of the country at other times of the year. Anyone interested who plans on being in Cleveland for the National this year?

Let's do this.

Rob Steinmetz
    Rob Steinmetz
    www.authenticgamers.com
    authenticgamers@aol.com

Paying top dollar for Chicago Cubs game used equipment!

Comment

• kylehess10
      • Feb 2006

Re: Game Used Universe Reception/Expo at National in Cleveland

Originally posted by RobSteinmetz
      Hi Everyone.

In a hobby that has lost touch with good old fashioned face-to-face networking and horse trading, I absolutely love this concept. How would everyone feel about giving this idea a whirl at this year's National in Cleveland? Game Used Universe could sponsor a collector's reception and expo in a small conference room/multipurpose room at a hotel in the Cleveland area (near the convention center). The event could be held after the show closes, and could be open to all GUU members. We could have space for collectors to exhibits their favorite treasures, network, trade, and enjoy some drinks and appetizers. Personally speaking, I would be much more likely to attend the National every year if I had something like this to look forward to. This could be a "test" for future events in other parts of the country at other times of the year. Anyone interested who plans on being in Cleveland for the National this year?

Let's do this.

Rob Steinmetz

That's an awesome idea! I'm not sure though if my mom would lend her 17-year-old son her car to drive all the way up to Cleveland,lol, But if this is possible though then I'd definitely try to make it
      kylehess941@hotmail.com

My Game Used Collection:
      http://www.wix.com/kylehess941/gameused

http://www.kylehessphotography.com/

Comment

• Nathan
        • Nov 2005

Re: I would like to see a game used convention

I've been reading most of this topic and am interested in what's been said.

One problem with the National is that it's a large and impersonal gathering that has (I'll come out and say it) exorbitant prices. Even if there were a table or booth set up, it would be coming and going all day with few chances to actually have any meaningful discussion.

I have attended two Detroit Expos, which focus primarily on hockey, and enjoyed both. What I have in mind in Columbus is pretty similar to my experiences there. It'd be a one- or two-day event at a central location in which collectors and dealers would be able to set up at a fairly cheap rate. There would also be various people of influence given the chance to speak throughout the day. The reason for this is because I believe that the sports outside of hockey, specifically MLB and the NFL, are plagued with numerous problems in the hobby that the NHL and hockey in general have moved past due to Barry Meisel and MeiGray ratcheting up the baseline as high as they have. Certainly constructive ideas and discussions need to emerge from something like this rather than simply a grand ol' time for people to talk and show off.

I believe this forum was a terrific step toward cleaning up a lot of the junk that we've seen, especially since the amount of junk has increased exponentially with the internet and less accountability. But it is inherently limited. I believe that a unified voice emerging from a specific centralized meeting of the minds could do wonders for further cleaning up the hobby and forcing teams and leagues to clean up the way business is currently done.
        Looking for Duane Kuiper home run baseballs

Comment

• fridgefan
          • Nov 2005

A game used convention has been done. From 1993-98 Gary Hong and Phil Wood developed and promoted the annual Nationals Sports Equipment & Vintage Memorabilia Show in the Washington, D.C./Baltimore area. Each show was typically Friday night and Saturday and Sunday and featured 40 tables of dealers and collectors. No cards or beanie babies were allowed! The shows were very popular; however, its a lot of work, but it can be sucessfully done! The two also published a bimonthly newsletter, Diamond Duds, the only newsletter specifically for collectors of major league baseball uniforms and equipment, from 1991-1998.

Comment

• camarokids
            • Jun 2006

Re: Game Used Universe Reception/Expo at National in Cleveland

Originally posted by kylehess10
            That's an awesome idea! I'm not sure though if my mom would lend her 17-year-old son her car to drive all the way up to Cleveland,lol, But if this is possible though then I'd definitely try to make it
            Kyle,
            I am 6-7 hours away from Atlanta and I believe would have to take I-75 to get to Cleveland. I would volunteer to pick you up and take you along w/my son and I . Just bring along some cheerleaders and your in .......Just kidding .... I don't want to become the next John Bobbitt....

Seriously though , I would be willing to carpool , I have extra room for 2 people. Leaving from St. Pete , FL . Depending on how much equipment we bring , we may need a trailer......If I had the room I would bring my entire collection.......

Buying Devil Rays bats,
            David C.
            dzscope@earthlink.net
            Thank you,
            David

This is my email address here!
            dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Comment

• gatorcollector
              • Aug 2005

On behalf of Camarokids and myself, I would like to nominate the Happiest Place On Earth - Orlando, FL - as a potential meeting site. Many of us have pointed out in the past that our wives/significant others have no interest in our hobby. Being in Orlando would give the families plenty to do while we do our thing. I have only forum members' best interests at heart. This has nothing to do with the fact that I live 40 miles north of Orlando. Really.

Comment

• camarokids
                • Jun 2006

Originally posted by gatorcollector
                On behalf of Camarokids and myself, I would like to nominate the Happiest Place On Earth - Orlando, FL - as a potential meeting site. Many of us have pointed out in the past that our wives/significant others have no interest in our hobby. Being in Orlando would give the families plenty to do while we do our thing. I have only forum members' best interests at heart. This has nothing to do with the fact that I live 40 miles north of Orlando. Really.
                You have a really good point there. Across from the Orlando Convention Ctr are tons of shopping malls and stores. Retail Outlets and tourist attractions to go to as well . That would definately make the better half's in our lives happier.

But I am willing to travel as well.
                Thank you,
                David

dzscope at gmail dot com

Comment

• Nnunnari
                  Banned
                  • Sep 2006

Is there anybody on here from Southern California or the west coast like myself? I'm pretty sure I won't be making a trip back east any time soon, just wanted to get a feel for the amount of collectors located out west.

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Nnunnari
                    Is there anybody on here from Southern California or the west coast like myself? I'm pretty sure I won't be making a trip back east any time soon, just wanted to get a feel for the amount of collectors located out west.
                    SoCal here.

Comment

• camarokids
                      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Nnunnari

you gotta point there Nnunnari !! we cannot forget about the west coasters... they already have to put up w/the EST (3 hours time diff) dictating there TV schedules and other things as well in life ......
                      Thank you,
                      David

dzscope at gmail dot com

Comment

• cjw
                        • Oct 2006

Vancouver here
                        WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca

Comment

• camarokids
                          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by cjw
                          Vancouver here
                          wow Vancouver, we got Toronto too !!!! Yeah We baaaaad ,We Nationwide ! (a little ZZ Top for you, great song)
                          Thank you,
                          David

dzscope at gmail dot com

Comment

• dodgersfan
                            • Nov 2005

Los Angeles,CA in the house!

Comment

• MSpecht
                              • Oct 2005

Here is the info posted for the 2008 National:

"The 29th edition of the National Sports Collectors Convention will take place at the Donald E Stephens Convention Center in Chicago (Rosemont) IL July 30-August 3, 2008. See you there??"

Last year in Cleveland, Chris, Rob, Jim and I had the opportunity to meet a fair number of GUU members as they stopped by the booth to introduce themselves and say "Hi." As you know, it's always great to put a name with a face and share some stories and laughs.

With a bit of time to plan things out, a more specific GUU interaction for all members who visit the National should not be to difficult to accomplish..

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

Comment

• Rob L
                                • Nov 2005

South OC, here. How about in Anaslime?
                                Rob L
                                loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

Comment

Working...