Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cbb5
    • Nov 2005

Re: Tom Seaver 1990 "coaches" Jersey

Ok - thanks! I don't mean to come off like a jerk - I just honestly have never seen it. My email is cbb5@hotmail.com. Maybe the jersey was made up for Leyrits before the season and then he retired before the season started?

Comment

• metsbats
      • Nov 2005

Tom Seaver was definitely a spring training instructor in 1999 however I don't think in 1990 because of his duties as a Yankee broadcaster as everyone noted in the previous posts.

My guess is this may be an Old Timers Game Jersey if anything.

I like Nick's approach to try to ask Seaver at the May 21 show as he is usually good about remember his game used stuff.

I did send an email to Seaver (from the contact Tom email address at www.tomterrificseaver.com with the ebay link to this jersey and let's see if we get any response.

David
      metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• LHG39
        • Sep 2006

I agree with the last poster that this likely is an Old Timers game jersey. The Mets were still doing Old Timers Days in the early 90s and Seaver did participate in a few of them.

Comment

• flaco1801
          • Nov 2005

dont think old timers jerseys would be tagged, i think the mets would have had cheap jerseys issued to the returning players, and how would they know what size to issue? many players come from far and away players, and just show up without any fittings? this could be a scoreboard jersey. Jeff

Comment

• metsbats
            • Nov 2005

Here are two photos from George Kalinsky's NY Mets A Photograhic History book with Seaver wearing a similar pinstripe home uniform. The first photo is from 1988 becuase the Surf book the grounds crew member taking the photo is holding a 1988 Surf book under his arm. The second photo is not dated but could be from the same game. This does not prove anything about the 1990 jersey but demontrates that Seaver did wear home uniforms at Old Timer games.

The Mets did issue tagged jersey's during last years 86 Met reunion game and regarding how do they know what size i'm sure the team had to ask each player what size they would wear or want.

Not sure what they did in the 80's or nineties.

It would not be far fetched to think that the old timers jerseys are made from existing year stock which come in tagged and just numbered and names stitched in for the use for each old timer.

The Scoreboard theory is interesting though I'm not sure why a tagged 90 jersey of Seaver would be used considering he retired in 1987.

David
            Attached Files
            metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• flaco1801
              • Nov 2005

that seaver jersey looks like an iron on number from the reflection? what you think? the mets wouldnt go to great expense for a old times game. ill see if i have an old times game from that time frame, presently watching the crajer jack old timers game from 85 ( they are wearing iron on lettering). JEFF

Comment

• LHG39
                • Sep 2006

When the Mets used to do Old TImers games they did provide all of the players with authentic uniforms. Especially so for Seaver, the ONE Hall of Famer in team history.

If you guys want to doubt Ed Dolan, fine by me, perhaps I will get the jersey cheap.

Comment

• Danny899
                  • Apr 2007

Hello, I'm rather new to this forum, but I think I can help with this Seaver jersey. Before I began collecting game worn jerseys, I used to collect signed replica jerseys. (Mitchell & Ness and others) While shopping at a mall several years ago, I saw this same type signed Mets Rawlings jersey in a memorabilia shop. I thought it was real cool that they tagged it just like a gamer with the inside strip tag so I purchased it. It came with a COA from Scoreboard which certainly did not state anything about it being game used. I think there was a Schmidt and Canseco also available which were also tagged like gamers from Scoreboard. Hopefully this helps.

Comment

• metsbats
                    • Nov 2005

Danny,

Thanks for the information. Do you still have this jersey and will you be able to post photos. We'd love to compare yours to the one on ebay. If Scoreboard did issue Seaver autographed with some sort of 1990 tagging them and the one on ebay is one of them someone's going to spend a lot of $$ on a autographed unused jersey.

Thanks
                    David
                    metsbats86@aol.com

Comment

• Danny899
                      • Apr 2007

Dave,
                      Sorry, I don't have it anymore. I got rid of most of the replicas after I got bit by the gamer bug. I used to have a home white Schmidt also, I think it was from 89, with the tagging in the collar. It had a T tag on it also. Again, not a gamer. But the Seaver jersey had the same exact strip tag with a similar placed signature. Dan

Comment

• Eric
                        • Jan 1970

Another one with identical tagging, also signed is in the current grey flannel auction. The nameplate on the rear lines up differently on the pinstripes than the one on ebay that Howard mentioned.

Lot 548
                        1990 Tom Seaver New York Mets Coaches Worn & Autographed Home Jersey (JSA)
                        Lot # 548

On the front left inside tail of the jersey is the "Rawlings" manufacturer's size "46" tag. To the right of the manufacturers tag is an embroidered strip tag that reads "90 2 41" in blue stitch. Across the front of the jersey is "METS". Below that and on the back is the player number "41". Across the back of the jersey is the player name "SEAVER" sewn directly on the jersey. All lettering and numbering is done in blue on orange tackle twill. The jersey is autographed on front in blue marker and rates an 8. The jersey shows wear and appears to have no alterations of any kind. The autograph is accompanied by a LOA from JSA.
                        Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Comment

• metsbats
                          • Nov 2005

Too bad we cannot see from front of the GFA Seaver jersey. Would like to see if the auto is in the same spot as the ebay jersey. If this is a Scoreboard jersey like the one Danny899 had one would think the auto may be in the same location.

Seems like alot of 1990 Seaver autographed jerseys out there.

-David
                          metsbats86@aol.com

Comment

Working...