Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Griffey Should Pay More Attention To Detail....

howard:
    excellent catch re: nameplate. 1994 mariners jerseys had nameplates. the ami is missing the nameplate. i guess that pretty much renders it nothing more than a silly concoction that griffey pawned off. unfortunately, someone paid over $1k for it.

when in doubt, look at a common player jersey. i found one in my photos. a 1994 milt hill gamer:

looks like they did have the 125 patch. again, i suspect the ebay jersey does not because it's a) another silly griffey concoction or b) it was worn/given during spring training and they hadn't yet affixed the 125 patches.

personally, i'd like to own an early 90s griffey or frank thomas gamer. unfortunately, even though i've seen many with griffey's loa, i don't think i've ever seen a real one to date.

rudy.

Banned

[quote=kingjammy24;38141]howard:
    excellent catch re: nameplate. 1994 mariners jerseys had nameplates. the ami is missing the nameplate. i guess that pretty much renders it nothing more than a silly concoction that griffey pawned off. unfortunately, someone paid over $1k for it.

when in doubt, look at a common player jersey. i found one in my photos. a 1994 milt hill gamer:

looks like they did have the 125 patch. again, i suspect the ebay jersey does not because it's a) another silly griffey concoction or b) it was worn/given during spring training and they hadn't yet affixed the 125 patches.

personally, i'd like to own an early 90s griffey or frank thomas gamer. unfortunately, even though i've seen many with griffey's loa, i don't think i've ever seen a real one to date.

rudy.[/quote]

Rudy-
    Glad you could provide an actual jersey of a common as proof. The jersey I once owned of Griffey looked the same, however, had minimal use.

You ask a great question about the questioned Griffey jersey on Ebay-why no 125th patch and also no name plate? I wish I had an answer, however, I'm as dumbfounded as you on this one.

I do know, and it may or may not be related to this, that the DEMAND for Griffey game used equipment in 1994 was greater than the SUPPLY. Griffey's "partners" in selling his equipment (who went by the names of Jazz and Frankie) simply could not get enough jerseys, hats, bats, batting gloves, etc. to meet the markets needs.

I personally met with them and purchased some of the first Griffey Jr. game used items to hit the market. This included a pair of game jerseys, a fielding glove and a few bats. They indicated they would have more game used jerseys from the current season, bats, and fielding gloves in a few weeks after our initial meeting. I made one more purchase from them, and parted company after they introduced me to Griffey and he refused to sign my game worn batting helmets from 1990 (he was extremely upset that HE did not originally have them to sell instead of a major dealer who purchased the entire inventory of older style M's equipment including batting helmets, jackets and jerseys). The helmets were simply abused, and were perfect in every detail (as compared to thoise Griffey sold in his later years that had minimal or no use at all). I indicated that unless he signed them, I had no interest in continuing our business relationship. Although he signed them, I was extremely uncomfortable dealing with these 2 friends of Griffey''s and never purchased equipment from them again.

I also saw Griffey, in his later years, have other players use his black, criss-crossed taped C271's during BP in the Kingdome. With the huge demand for his game used bats, he quickly figured out how to meet the demand.

In conclusion, I would not put it past Griffey to think that he had extra jerseys made up quickly, strictly with the intent of selling them through his friends for a profit, and disregarding having them made correctly, i.e., with name plates, patches, etc. Likewise, having his own LOA means nothing to me, after dealing directly with him and being exposed to his business practices.

Just my thoughts.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Quote Originally Posted by CollectGU View Post
    Howard,

How about stopping with the childish insults and spin and answer the specific question I asked you:

Thanks,
    Dave
    I was at the end of a few of them also. If I recall, I was called ignorant. Well, maybe I'm not as knowledgeable as many in this forum, but I don't think I'm ignorant.

Play nice!

funny we were just talking about 94 mariners home jerseys:

http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/s...yNum=6&Lot=488

125 patch AND a nameplate.

rudy.