Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hybrid View

Re: Griffey Should Pay More Attention To Detail....

So did Griffey not get it wrong?

Abe

hello abe,

for me, the jury is still out but the evidence seems to point to the idea that the 1994 mariners did not have the 125 patch on their home jerseys.
    i know they had them on their road and teal jerseys. if anyone can add to this, please feel free.

to be honest, what troubles me about the griffey jersey isn't the lack of a 125 patch but rather the lack of any of griffey's usual jersey customizations (extra length, etc). i think the provenance is good but, given that griffey was one of baseball's biggest superstars in 1994, i think he just handed out boilerplate jerseys to other players and vips. jeff "birdbats" scott once posted a great article about how players intentionally order extra jerseys solely to trade them amongst each other. the article seemed to imply these jerseys were never worn. they were just ordered and traded. as such, these jerseys may not be completely up to spec.

rudy.

here is a 1994 griffey home jersey, apparently with a letter from griffey himself. note the extra length:

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/A...uction_ID=9795

i'm unsure whether the strip tag should be cloth or paper.

rudy.

I would like to hear Howard's thoughts on the above....

Regards,
    Dave

Mariners used both style year tags in 1994.
    Centerfield Sports
    Bringing The Game To You!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CollectGU View Post
    I would like to hear Howard's thoughts on the above....

Regards,
    Dave
    the AMI description states that their jersey has the 125 patch. can anyone find a photo of the 1994 mariners at home showing the right sleeve? mears? don't you guys have like 15 million photos of the 1994 mariners alone?

i can't see how my arod pics are wrong? they can't be minor league pics because he spent much of 1994 playing for the appleton foxes, jacksonville suns, and calgary cannons. none of those teams are called the "mariners" and he's pictured in a "mariners" jersey. he made his major league debut on 07/08/1994. those baseball cards were released in 1994. they couldn't have had pics from 1995. ?!?

2 mariners magazines from 1994:

honestly, i'm lost. either they didn't wear the 125 patch which means all of my images are right and the ami jersey is wrong or the ami jersey is right and all of these images are from 1993. i'd like someone to explain to me how arod was photographed playing in a mariners uniform in 1993 though.

as well it seems griffey gave duane ward a 1994 home jersey without a 125 patch and also wrote a letter on the ami 1994 home jersey that has a 125 patch.

rudy.

*** in the first magazine shot below, amongst the group of 4 players is eric anthony. anthony's ONLY year with the mariners was 1994. he wasn't with them in 1993.

now either the ami jersey is rubbish. or in 1994, the mariners wore their game jerseys (not bp jerseys) in spring training without the 125 patch and had the patch sewn on when the regular season begun?

rudy.

in the pics below, the magazines seem to be shot at spring training. the 1994 SI "preview" came out around the time of spring training. it's clear that the mariners had their "game" style jerseys at spring training. if they had them, then they probably used them. it's also clear that these jerseys didn't have the 125 patch. the arod pics on the baseball cards were likely shot at 1994 mariners spring training in order to get them done in time. arod debuted in late summer 1994. he was likely expected to make the team. if the card companies had waited until he actually debuted to take his pic, then it likely would've been too late. i believe the answer to this mystery is that the mariners used their game jerseys in spring training and these game jerseys did not have the 125 patch. once the regular season started, their home gamers had the 125 patch sewn on. just like the 1994 yankees shown above. at best then, the ebay jersey is a spring training shirt. it's likely that duane ward would've acquired such a shirt during a time like spring training. hence why it's missing the patch.

rudy.

Banned

Rudy-
    It appears the AMI jersey may also have the N.O.B. sewn directly on the back, instead of the traditional plate. If that's the case, then you have your answer.

Thoughts?

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net