Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Griffey Should Pay More Attention To Detail....

Forum Readers-
    AS I've discussed here many times, Griffey Jr. realized the huge opportunity to order extra equipment, strictly for the purpose of reselling it to card shops and collectors. He even had other players using his C271 bats during BP and then selling them as if he had used them.

Currently on Ebay is a 1994 home jersey. Maybe Griffey should have told Russell to supply his "extra" shirts with the correct 125th Anniversary patch AND the standard Mariners patches on the sleeves....

http://cgi.ebay.com/1994-KEN-GRIFFEY...QQcmdZViewItem

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Re: Griffey Should Pay More Attention To Detail....

I do not understand why someone making over $10million a year would feel the need to dupe fans for a few extra $$$.

If thats the case no HOF for him.
    Carlie Mednia III
    carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

Banned

Howard and others,

I do not own any Mariners jerseys this early, but is it possible this jersey is not the right one for the COA? It looks like a good replica, but is the 1994 year tag correct. I thought thwy used more of the paper tag. I had someone try and sell me a Frank Thomas HR bat with a Mill Creek COA but was a forged inscription. Just a thought!

now i'm really curious.. does anyone have any photos of the 1994 mariners, at home, showing the right sleeve?

i'm wondering if they wore the 125 patch on their home jerseys?
    i know they wore them on the road and alt jerseys but i can't find any pics at all of the 1994 mariners at home, which is a little strange.

i've found a few that i think are from 1994 but can't be positive. the ones i've found don't show a 125 patch.

at any rate, if ward received the jersey from griffey, i imagine it was likely one of those situations where griffey ordered mass quantities solely for the purpose of giving out to players, vips, charities, etc. how many players were asking griffey for a jersey in the early 90s? dozens at least.

rudy.

Chris could you send me those photos of the Vlad bat?
    Rboitano@charter.net

alex rodriguez made his major league debut in 1994. immediately prior to appearing in the big leagues, he played for the appleton foxes.

here are 4 cards that came out in 1994. since arod didn't play for the mariners in 1993, these pics can't be from 1993. since these cards came out in 1994, they can't have pics from 1995. so the pics must therefore be from 1994 right?

rudy.

Centerfield Sports
    Bringing The Game To You!!!

So did Griffey not get it wrong?

Abe

hello abe,

for me, the jury is still out but the evidence seems to point to the idea that the 1994 mariners did not have the 125 patch on their home jerseys.
    i know they had them on their road and teal jerseys. if anyone can add to this, please feel free.

to be honest, what troubles me about the griffey jersey isn't the lack of a 125 patch but rather the lack of any of griffey's usual jersey customizations (extra length, etc). i think the provenance is good but, given that griffey was one of baseball's biggest superstars in 1994, i think he just handed out boilerplate jerseys to other players and vips. jeff "birdbats" scott once posted a great article about how players intentionally order extra jerseys solely to trade them amongst each other. the article seemed to imply these jerseys were never worn. they were just ordered and traded. as such, these jerseys may not be completely up to spec.

rudy.