Patrick,

During your numerous dealings with GF, did you purchase items from them which they owned (as opposed to auction/consigned items)? Were these items authenticated by GF and include a GF LOA?

If the answer to my original thread question is yes, then I'd like to pose a follow-up question. (Just to make sure my intentions aren't misinterpreted, rest assured I genuinely want to know the answer. I'm not trying to fan any flames here). My follow-up question to all forum members:

- Is it not a huge, irreconcilable conflict of interest when a dealer directly sells items that only they themselves (or their directly employed authenticators) have authenticated?

It's a fundamental tenet that appraisers shouldn't sell or buy items they have appraised. I think the reasons are obvious. Most professional auction houses, antique stores, art houses, etc are aware of this basic rule. GF is in a 'challenging' situation because they're one of the few businesses that states it's both a dealer and authenticator. Most are either dealers or authenticators or auction houses but not all 3 at once. In an arrangement of this nature, it would require a good amount of effort to ensure the different sides don't affect each other. When substantial profits come into play there may be a good deal of 'subtle' pressure from the Sales dept on the Authentication department. I imagine the only way to ensure an ethical business of this nature is to refuse to sell or buy any items submitted for authentication and conversely to sell only items which have been authenticated by a third party. Note: LOA's are different than warranties. Warranties outline the buyer's recourse. LOA's state authenticity.
Does GF really sell items they've authenticated?

Rudy.