Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Historic Nolan Ryan Warm-up

Forum Readers-
    Over the last few years, quite a few Texas Rangers minor league pre-games have surfaced and are offered as TEXAS RANGERS PRE-GAMES. Most often, the numbers are tied to the star players, such as Ryan, Sosa, etc.

Once again, the #34 minor league jersey has re-surfaced at Historic as Nolan Ryans.

http://www.historicauctions.com/sear...imageid/13036/

The easiest way to tell the difference is as follows:
    1. The Rangers did not wear this style during Ryan's time, 1989-93
    2. The Rangers did not use heat-pressed name/#'s, rather, sewn
    3. Wrong tag. If it was from 1989-91, it should have the usual white Rawlings tag with the MLB logo on it. 1992-3 would have a different Rawlings style tag, or it would have a Majestic/Russell tag.

When one tries to determine who authenticated it, the description simple indicates it is included in the description; there is no mention, however, in the description.

FYI

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

ALWAYS BUYING PHILLIES, PORTLAND BEAVERS AND PORTLAND MAVERICKS JERSEYS

Re: Historic Nolan Ryan Warm-up

Quote Originally Posted by hblakewolf View Post
    Forum Readers-
    Over the last few years, quite a few Texas Rangers minor league pre-games have surfaced and are offered as TEXAS RANGERS PRE-GAMES. Most often, the numbers are tied to the star players, such as Ryan, Sosa, etc.

Once again, the #34 minor league jersey has re-surfaced at Historic as Nolan Ryans.

http://www.historicauctions.com/sear...imageid/13036/
    I clicked this link and got a message of "historic" proportions... I suppose that one would have to conclude that your message warning buyers not to buy a piece of crap $50.00 minor league BP for $1,000+ is "misleading" and "unscrupulous." Howard, you are a bad man, a very bad man!!

Banned

Go Directly to their site and search under NOLAN RYAN. It's worth the thirty seconds time to at least get a good laugh.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Oh jeez... the screen printed numbers are classic. I hope nobody is silly enough to fall for this one!

i am unaware of the texas rangers ever wearing a jersey that looked remotely like this one. apparently though, someone at historic must have some evidence of this being a texas rangers jersey. to that extent, i'd very much like to see a single photograph of the texas rangers ever wearing such a jersey in their entire 35 yr existence.

during the late 80s/early 90s, the texas rangers had 3 minor league teams that were also called the "rangers"; the gastonia rangers, charlotte rangers, and gcl rangers.

rudy.

My game worn jersey knowledge is limited but I do know that this Blue Jays jersey would have to have team script tagging in the collar to be team issued.

http://www.historicauctions.com/sear...ctionid/36563/
    WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca

the link won't bring you to the Alex Rios replica jersey advertised as game worn. Rudy...pls tell me that I am not wrong
    WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca

chris,

sure, the jerseys ought to have strip tags in the collar. i've heard reports that some modern jays gamers were legitimately missing such tags. i don't follow modern jerseys closely enough to know the veracity of this information. historic had a rios jersey in their last auction. see: http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ead.php?t=5881

both the rios and wells jerseys on historic seem to lack blue jays or mlb provenance. it's akin to a 2006 yankees jersey without steiner certs or a 2005 rangers jersey without meigray papers. it's possible but in lieu of such provenance it better have a solid story behind it. so what's the solid story behind these jerseys? (an "impeccable source" doesn't cut it.)

there seem to be modern jerseys out there that, for the most part, are up to spec yet they clearly haven't originated from the team. see: http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ead.php?t=6219
    it's not just jays jerseys. i'm seeing '05 and '06 0062-coded jerseys out there from various teams with proper fonts, patches, sizes, and tagging that show almost no use. spec-wise though, they're almost perfect. i think the delgado in the link above is a great example. here's a jersey that should've had jays certs or at least player certs. it didn't seem to have either. however, it had the almighty 0062 tag, proper fonts, an "impeccable source", etc. however, it was missing the strip tag and the size was so off that it's unlikely that it ever saw the inside of a clubhouse. who's ordering and making these things then?

similarly, historic's last auction had multiple '05 yankees jerseys and none of them mentioned any sort of mlb, yankee, steiner, player, or even charity certs. arods, jeters, matsuis. somehow all of the yankees biggest (and most lucrative) superstar jerseys escaped the clubhouse under steiner's nose? yet these jerseys were up to spec. personally, i think we're in a period where the supply of un-worn, un-issued, pro-spec jerseys is almost unlimited. if legit gamers are mixed in with the giant pool of perfectly spec'd "non gamers", then it seems the only thing left to depend on is the provenance. when you see 2 identical jerseys and 1 comes with genuine, solid provenance and the other with nothing more than some tired, vague story of "impeccable sources", then anyone picking the latter is taking a gamble simply to save money. provenance is no guarantee, but it's certainly more of a guarantee than the alternative. in my opinion, if you're serious about the quality of your collection, provenance is worth paying for. dealers like kim stigall and mike quick chose to pay a premium in order to offer legit jays gamers by getting their jerseys straight from the jays (both dealers offer team certs). i'd like to think that, in return, they ought to attract more customers than the dealer who chose cut corners and pay less to obtain his jerseys from a questionable source. after all, the jays had plenty of delgado gamers for sale. what's a dealers justification for going through someone else? an affinity for passing risk along to their customers? the jays charge a premium and some dealers simply don't want to see their profits reduced. they feel they can find "similar" jerseys elsewhere for less. unfortunately, some buyers seem to think they can score a bargain simply by going for the cheapest jersey. it's hardly a bargain if it's really just a pro-cut. i genuinely wonder about the mentality of buyers bidding on '06 non-steiner yankees jerseys. are they diehard risk takers? do they hate sleeping peacefully at night? or do they genuinely think it's very likely that steiner lost track of several jeter, matsui, and arod jerseys as they slipped out the back door?

rudy.

Still no answer from Historic Auctions sent to their "ask a question" area on the website and personal email to James Brown
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Banned

Eric-
    My co-worker also asked for additional info, specifically, how this is offered as a Texas Rangers pre-game?

He sent Historic an email a few weeks ago. No answer has been received.

FYI
    Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net