Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Who's the tailor????

Here's what I'd love to know.

Who's acting as the accessory in the game used fraud being perpetrated in today's hobby?

Someone is taking clean game cut jerseys of today's star players and rookies and adding customizations which are close but not right. Teams who keep a tight hold on their equipment are now represented in every auction these days with 2005 and 2006 jerseys of the money players.

They are flooding the hobby. Items like this rejected from one auction house end up in others. It's not good.

It's not just one person involved here. Unless they happen to be a dealer and a master with a sewing machine (which I suppose is possible, but unlikely) there are other guilty parties as well.

Here are all of the steps involved in this scheme:

Someone is getting game cuts of star players (from Reebok? from the teams?) How do they get these pieces? Does Reebok/NFL/Players Association know that someone is using their product to defraud the public? Actually, I can tell you they do, but will they do something about it?

It seems that some of these game cuts either didn't have nameplates and patches (since some of the fonts on the final product are wrong AND some of the patches are in the incorrect place.)

So that means our scammers have to find false nameplates and/or patches. Patches can be found on ebay. Where can nameplates be made?

They have to have someone willing to sew on these nameplates and patches. How many places so restorations/customizations like this? Is it hard to find?

The scammers have to know what the proper customizations are supposed to look like and then order them up with their tailor.

Side by side with the real thing, you can tell the differences, but with no photo comparison, one can be fooled.

The authenticators are fooled too. You see these in many of today's high profile auction houses.

And hey- as long as your in there sewing, Mr. Tailor, how about some repairs? You see some pieces with the wrong font nameplate which has been punished with wear.

Then there are the auction houses who take these in as consignments? Are they guilty here? I'm not sure of what the answer is. If they don't know they're being had, then I'm not sure they're guilty. If they are playing dumb to get the buyer's fee, then round them up with the rest of the thieves.

What am I missing here? What do people think about all of this?
    Eric
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Re: Who's the tailor????

So that means our scammers have to find false nameplates and/or patches. Patches can be found on ebay. Where can nameplates be made?
    There's a company that I've had customize a couple of NFL Reebok authentics for me. They'll match the numbers, match the nameplate fabric to the jersey, match the lettering for the NOB. I have no idea where they get their materials.

Otis, I know of whom you speak!
    Seriously. Eric, you've GOT to know that there are sporting apparel places in almost every major city who do good to great to perfect quality customizations on almost anything you bring in the door. Sometimes you might have to supply the nameplate material or the particular shade of twill, especially if you're working on an older style jersey, but the bottom line is if you need a garment altered in any way........ it's fairly easy to find someone to do it. I display several vintage game jerseys on the walls of my sports room and have had to have missing nameplates restored, repairs made, etc. It's quite easy to find the facilities who originally did team repairs on the pro jerseys for just about any respective team and they're usually more than happy to perform whatever task you need done. The difference between myself and some of the other unscrupulous individuals we encounter in this hobby is that my repaired or altered jerseys will never be for sale.

Where are all the blank "team issue" jerseys coming from? I think some are taking nameplates and numbers from authentic replicas and adding them to blank team issues. My Grandma is a whiz...she once chain-stitched the Gettysburg Address...

If they have a game cut jersey i wouldn't care if they sold as a GAME CUT JERSEY, but those greedy people make their fake alterations and sell them as game WORN/USED jerseys, It's disturbing. I was in one of my local sporting goods stores and in their jersey sample room saw a game cut shaun alexander jersey without a nameplate, a game cut santonio holmes jersey without nameplate or steelers patch and a game cut lsu jersey with nike tag that read XL. The guy their said once new style jerseys are made they sell the ones in the sample room and get new samples. This could be a similar source to where other jerseys are coming from.

Take a look at this website, www.exclusivepro.com , under more samples you should take a look at the shaun alexander jersey, they did a good job.

- ksuftballfan1@aol.com -

Quote Originally Posted by ksuftballfan1 View Post
    Take a look at this website, www.exclusivepro.com , under more samples you should take a look at the shaun alexander jersey, they did a good job.

- ksuftballfan1@aol.com -

Yep, that's ONE of them. They're one of the better known customizers (being that they do custom jobs for the NFL, MLB, NHL, etc.) but trust me, they're one of a hundred(s).

Check your local yellow pages.

Gentlemen,

In observing the photos of the jerseys on the website mentioned in the previous posts, I don't see how a collector of game-used football jerseys would think that these jerseys were ever anywhere near an NFL equipment room. They are nice-looking replicas, but are not cut like gamers.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange

Mark,

I think Eric was talking about game jerseys that have been customized. If I sent EPS a blank team issued NFL jersey, I bet it would come back looking pretty good. Then I might take a few dives in the backyard to add a little "game use".

My theory is that a lot of the new nfl jerseys we are seeing at auction are game cut jerseys obtained from reebok. I have a theory on how, but cann't post it because i need to connect a few dots.

These game cut jerseys don't have the proper customizations or the patches added by the teams. Sometimes they are without nameplates.

That's how you see things like a customized Shaun Alexander with wear but the wrong nameplate or a blue Eli Manning from 2004 missing the 80th anniversary patch.

Eric
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...