Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • otismalibu
    • Nov 2005

Re: @ videos that can bring a tear to a GU collector's eye

In all seriousness, when did Wilt Chamberlain wear number "5"?
    Does it really matter who wore the jersey? Or whether it's ever been worn at all? All long as the buyer is happy, that's really all that counts.
    Greg
    DrJStuff.com

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by otismalibu
      Does it really matter who wore the jersey? Or whether it's ever been worn at all? All long as the buyer is happy, that's really all that counts.

Comment

• indyred
        • May 2006

Maybe it's me. But once you sell something you have zero control what buyer does with it. If you like it so much, then you would have kept it instead of turning it into cash. Oviously the cash meant more to you than keeping the jersey. So if you know someone buying it was working for card company and the jersey was going to get cut up you would turn down offer and sell for less? How do you know that buyer then could just sell it again and it could still get into card company hands. With how often jerseys get moved and sold. No telling where some end up.

With how often people bitch about too many jerseys of modern players. To me it's no big deal some of them get cut up. Helps people who are keeping them in their collections. So it''s not all bad. I would think a lot of Favre, Sanchez, AP, LT jerseys have been butchered. But still plenty of those still around and tucked away in private collections.

Comment

• GMoney1
          • Oct 2010

I am now a disgruntled card collector because of this shameless decision of chopping up vintage jerseys and bats. In some cases it is akin to chopping up a priceless work of art. The pieces become junk. I am ok with taking these bats and jerseys from current players unless they are of a historic nature because there is just so much current inventory out there. Take the jerseys that the player is wearing today as they are wearing several during the year but don't cut up history. It is just extremely sad to see this happening time and time again to one of a kind historic and priceless artifacts.

John Jimenez

Webs.com has been shut down on the 31st of August 2023. Find out what that means for your site and how to move it to another provider.

Comment

• 34swtns
            • Apr 2006

Re: Card Companies and "Game Used" Cards

The practice of cutting up historically significant game used items is nothing short of a friggin' TRAGEDY and if you buy this garbage and help perpetuate this practice you should be ashamed of yourself.
            Period.

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
              • Nov 2005

Medalist Sand Knit did make some Cowboys pants. I thought only Southland made Cowboys jerseys during the D. White era. Thoughts?

Comment

• obeyone10
                • Nov 2005

I know from first hand witnessing that Historic Auctions/Authentic Sports Inc's owner Brad Wells sent over a dozen fake (new when they were delivered and stone-washed to add wear) NFL jerseys to Donruss in 2005. Donruss sent over a list of jerseys and bats that they needed to fill their orders. Brad sold the football jerseys for over $1500 a piece. Some for as much as $3,000. In one instance, Donruss sent two boxes full of memorabilia (in exchange) for memorabilia they needed. Included in this package was a McGwire 1999 Home Jersey and a few Griffey Jr items.

I've been collecting cards since 1986 and wouldn't buy any of these "game used" cards. The President of these companies cannot guarantee their authenticity. They should make public record of where every item came from.

Bryan Oberle
                281-883-6142
                bryanoberle@gmail.com

Comment

• cammy collector
                  • Oct 2006

enjoy

**ALWAYS looking for game used/issued Nike/Air Jordan sneakers**

Comment

• MarinersFan34
                    • Jan 2009

Gotta love that!!

Interesting how the card is of Torii Hunter, but the labeling on the back of the jersey swatch says Manny Ramirez Grey.
                    Always looking for Seattle Mariners & anything of Felix Hernandez, Jay Buhner, Richie Sexson and Arthur Rhodes.

-Jeremy Morgan

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2009

Warren:

Around 1982-83 or thereabouts, the Cowboys replaced Southland with Russell as their uniform supplier. Sand-Knit??? Never seen one that was a Dallas gamer.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• cigarman44
                        • Aug 2007

Here's a nice jersey piece from when Rick was a...Cincinnati Red??
                        Attached Files

Comment

• panthrotc
                          • Dec 2005

Alot of the game used cards have pieces of the equipment etc that you can not pinpoint to a specific game. One of the best Game Used sets to ever be produced was the 2001 Donruss Timeless Treasures set. They noted what game the achievement was from. Some of cards had pieces of game used seats,bats,balls,jerseys etc. The card that i had to get from that was the McGwire card. Some cards that have been prduced have pieces of balls used in a game but they are not the actual ball that made the milestone. The McGwire card is the only McGwire card that has a piece of the actual Ball that was hit for the HR. It is one of if not the only Game used card that has a piece of the actual HR ball. I brought the card to spring training and mac sign it and here it is. It contains a piece of the 9th HR of the 70 HR season of 98'

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by both-teams-played-hard
                            In all seriousness, when did Wilt Chamberlain wear number "5"?

Stand corrected. When I thought it was bogus, I didn't care that it was butchered, but now....
                            Look at the placement of that "5". Is that a fuggin' photo-match?
                            There's a special place...

Comment

• rdeversole
                              • Dec 2009

I can't stand to keep seeing this picture or video of Alan Narz. I lived in Orlando and frequented his baseball card shop... only because it was the only one around. He makes me cringe for some reason. Maybe it's the dweebieness he emits.
                              - CINCINNATI REDS/JOEY VOTTO BATS
                              Email: rdeversole@gmail.com Twitter: @dugoutrelics

Comment

• corsairs25
                                • Jun 2006

Originally posted by obeyone10
                                I've been collecting cards since 1986 and wouldn't buy any of these "game used" cards. The President of these companies cannot guarantee their authenticity. They should make public record of where every item came from.
                                If they had to do that, they might be pressured into using actual game used material in their cards. And that would be a terrible waste of game used items.

Comment

Working...