Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Re: How do card companies get game used items?

For reference, Favre wearing a size 52 jersey:
    Guy
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here's a Donruss Steven Jackson card from 2008 Donruss Elite- Size tag shows 46
    Name:  stevenjackson.JPG
Views: 1242
Size:  22.3 KB
    Sure, it's possible. NFL Auctions sold one that's a size 48. It's in our friend Roger's collection
    Name:  stevenjacksonnfl.jpg
Views: 1306
Size:  201.5 KB
    http://www.nflauction.nfl.com/cgi-bi...aunbr=91248712

A forum user was selling one authenticated by WeTrak/Prova Group which was also a size 48

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...steven+jackson
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

I spoke to a fellow forum member who is familiar with the way Donruss has purchased game used football items.

He says Donruss would send around lists to various dealers of star players' jerseys they were looking to buy

Bottom line is- whoever sold to Donruss for the lowest price would get the deal.

A couple of very familiar names to these parts offered star jerseys and rookie jerseys to Donruss for about half the price that the other dealers were offering, so guess what- their stuff went right to Donruss.

The dealers signed documents saying the item was authentic and if there was a problem, it was the fault of the dealer.

This is a very scary scenario. Personally, I would never buy from the people who's names I have removed. If they have been furnishing Donruss with high end pieces to be put on cards, this is potentially a very disturbing situation.

Drew Brees has only played for the Saints for 2 seasons, 2006 and 2007

Drew Brees jersey from american memorabilia which he signed "game used 2006" and is a size 46

Name:  breesami46.jpg
Views: 1323
Size:  24.3 KB
    http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/A...ction_ID=35804

Here is a Donruss 2007 Leaf Limited Brees card size 50

Name:  breesdon50.JPG
Views: 1196
Size:  21.1 KB
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Drew-Brees-2007-...ayphotohosting

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I spoke to a fellow forum member who is familiar with the way Donruss has purchased game used football items.

He says Donruss would send around lists to various dealers of star players' jerseys they were looking to buy

Bottom line is- whoever sold to Donruss for the lowest price would get the deal.

A couple of very familiar names to these parts offered star jerseys and rookie jerseys to Donruss for about half the price that the other dealers were offering, so guess what- their stuff went right to Donruss.

The dealers signed documents saying the item was authentic and if there was a problem, it was the fault of the dealer.

This is a very scary scenario. Personally, I would never buy from the people who's names I have removed. If they have been furnishing Donruss with high end pieces to be put on cards, this is potentially a very disturbing situation.
    Eric - You know the old saying, "You get what you pay for". You have shown a pattern here of jerseys that just don't add up.

You also have to wonder if Donruss or these other companies do any due dilligence when buying these "cut rate" jerseys.

It is also a good news/bad news scenario as the price for these jersey cards are only a couple of $'s and kids in my neighborhood love collecting them and they are now affordable which is the good news---the bad news is if they ever read this thread they may discover that their Brett Favre jersey card might never have been worn by Brett Favre!
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    ..Bottom line is- whoever sold to Donruss for the lowest price would get the deal...This is a very scary scenario. Personally, I would never buy from the people who's names I have removed. If they have been furnishing Donruss with high end pieces to be put on cards, this is potentially a very disturbing situation.
    it's unfortunate for the collectors of these cards. however, for the game-used community i think it's absolutely fantastic if many of those cards offer fake swatches. it means that real jerseys haven't been cut up. the card companies have cut up every imaginable piece from all sports. everything from journeymen to superstars to HOF'ers and icons of sports history like ruth and jordan. their purchases have cut into almost every collecting interest. at the end of the day if it turns out that they've mainly purchased bogus jerseys then that's terrific news for the entire game-used community. it means that many of their grails are still out there, in-tact and have the chance to be preserved for future generations.

rudy.

Banned

I often suspected this type of behavior going on for game used pieces of cloth or should I say "supposedly" game used jerseys. Even if a jersey was legit, I doubt each swatch was carefully placed on the right card. But once the cards are out there who can tell the difference if it's a plain color piece?

I know Dennis Dixon fairly well and I know some of the card companies purchased a few Jersey's directly from him and Jonathan Stewart. I also purchased some from both players. I don't recall what they paid for the jerseys

I was looking through a 2001 Robert Edward Auctions catalog and they had a Joe DiMaggio game used glove from the Halper Auction and with singed COA from DiMaggio. Upper Deck won it at the Halper Auction then give it away whole as a redemption. The winner of the UD redemption was the consignor. So they didn't cut this item up.

how about these? The Sapp could not have come from a real Sapp jersey. I am not sure about the Urlacher. Never seen a patch on a Bears jersey like this. Any info??? These are my cards from a set. The Urlacher was pulled from the pack by me.