Card Companies and "Game Used" Cards

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kingjammy24
    • Nov 2005

Re: How do card companies get game used items?

Originally posted by Eric
    ..Bottom line is- whoever sold to Donruss for the lowest price would get the deal...This is a very scary scenario. Personally, I would never buy from the people who's names I have removed. If they have been furnishing Donruss with high end pieces to be put on cards, this is potentially a very disturbing situation.
    it's unfortunate for the collectors of these cards. however, for the game-used community i think it's absolutely fantastic if many of those cards offer fake swatches. it means that real jerseys haven't been cut up. the card companies have cut up every imaginable piece from all sports. everything from journeymen to superstars to HOF'ers and icons of sports history like ruth and jordan. their purchases have cut into almost every collecting interest. at the end of the day if it turns out that they've mainly purchased bogus jerseys then that's terrific news for the entire game-used community. it means that many of their grails are still out there, in-tact and have the chance to be preserved for future generations.

rudy.

Comment

• BaseballGM
      Banned
      • Jan 2006

I often suspected this type of behavior going on for game used pieces of cloth or should I say "supposedly" game used jerseys. Even if a jersey was legit, I doubt each swatch was carefully placed on the right card. But once the cards are out there who can tell the difference if it's a plain color piece?

Comment

• nick1980
        • Feb 2008

I know Dennis Dixon fairly well and I know some of the card companies purchased a few Jersey's directly from him and Jonathan Stewart. I also purchased some from both players. I don't recall what they paid for the jerseys

Comment

• David
          • Sep 2024

I was looking through a 2001 Robert Edward Auctions catalog and they had a Joe DiMaggio game used glove from the Halper Auction and with singed COA from DiMaggio. Upper Deck won it at the Halper Auction then give it away whole as a redemption. The winner of the UD redemption was the consignor. So they didn't cut this item up.

Comment

• Blitzmaster
            • Mar 2006

how about these? The Sapp could not have come from a real Sapp jersey. I am not sure about the Urlacher. Never seen a patch on a Bears jersey like this. Any info??? These are my cards from a set. The Urlacher was pulled from the pack by me.

Comment

• Eric
              • Jan 1970

Here is an interesting card which was listed recently

08 PLAYOFF PRESTIGE TRENT EDWARDS
              Click image for larger version

Name:	147639317_tp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	645896

Trent Edwards was drafted in the 3rd round by the buffalo bills in 2007. His only NFL season was 2007.

Here is a card with a 2003 year tag

Teams recycle- perhaps this is from a preseason jersey. But if they've got a fairly high profile prospect, would they give him a 4 year old recycled jersey for a game?

(In 2003 #5 was worn by QB Travis Brown)

Name:	travisbrown.jpg
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	645900
              Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Comment

• Eric
                • Jan 1970

2006 JACK YOUNGBLOOD TREASURES LAUNDRY TAG PATCH SER#25

Back of the card reads
                "WAS CUT FROM A AUTHENTIC JERSEY PERSONALLY WORN IN AN OFFICIAL NFL GAME"

Note the 2002 year tag

Name:	youngblood.JPG
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	646302
                Jack Youngblood retired in 1984

Where do they get these jerseys?
                Eric

Comment

• jppopma
                  • Mar 2006

I love all of these pictures of messed up jerseys. I do not collect these, but have some that I have picked up of local players.

Has anyone ever read the "disclaimer" on the back of the newer cards. In part it reads; "You have received a <player> Event-Used trading card. On the front of this card are pieces of memorabilia that have been cerified to us as having been used in a photo shoot."

Where is the collectibiliy in an event used jersey? Wait..they don't even claim it is a piece of a jersey you are getting, it's memorabilia. For all anyone knows it could be the curtain they stood in front of. Yet, people go nuts over these and think they are getting something really special.

Comment

• Eric
                    • Jan 1970

But the Youngblood doesn't even say it's an event worn jersey. They're claiming it's from a game, which in this case took place 18 years after he retired.

Comment

• trsent
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by jppopma
                      I love all of these pictures of messed up jerseys. I do not collect these, but have some that I have picked up of local players.

Has anyone ever read the "disclaimer" on the back of the newer cards. In part it reads; "You have received a <player> Event-Used trading card. On the front of this card are pieces of memorabilia that have been cerified to us as having been used in a photo shoot."

Where is the collectibiliy in an event used jersey? Wait..they don't even claim it is a piece of a jersey you are getting, it's memorabilia. For all anyone knows it could be the curtain they stood in front of. Yet, people go nuts over these and think they are getting something really special.
                      They use the photo shoot memorabilia for rookies who have never played a game. This is very common and should be disclosed by any seller in advance. They want to make jersey cards of rookies, but the rookies only have these event-photo shoot worn memorabilia.

I think there is a contract with the players associations and the card companies for these jerseys.

Comment

• skyking26
                        • Dec 2005

I have not read all the posts, but I personally never would buy a card with a cut up bat or jersey on it as a matter of principle as I do not feel that cutting up equipment as a means of selling cards is the right thing to do. Just my opinion, and we all have them...

RK
                        ROBERT KOPPEL
                        Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
                        and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Comment

• sonic
                          • Oct 2008

That card set features jerseys worn at the Rookie Premiere not in an official game. I hear that the card companies use whatever team issued jerseys they can get their hands on for the photo shoot and have the player wear each of them for a few minutes (or seconds, if you're cynical).

Here is an interesting card which was listed recently

08 PLAYOFF PRESTIGE TRENT EDWARDS
                          [ATTACH]15874[/ATTACH]

Trent Edwards was drafted in the 3rd round by the buffalo bills in 2007. His only NFL season was 2007.

Here is a card with a 2003 year tag

Teams recycle- perhaps this is from a preseason jersey. But if they've got a fairly high profile prospect, would they give him a 4 year old recycled jersey for a game?

(In 2003 #5 was worn by QB Travis Brown)
                          [ATTACH]15878[/ATTACH]

Comment

• cincy13
                            • May 2007

Originally posted by 3arod13
                            In my opinion, all game used memorabilia in sports cards should only come from the teams themselves, back up by an LOA.
                            The Reds use to do this, but the GM at the time stopped because he didn't want to be bothered. So much of the Reds memorabilia is either going to the Community fund to auction off or MLB auctions. The clubhouse guys don't sell to the Reds gift shop anymore either because the PAST operators would steal the items.
                            I also was approached by some card companies in past Nationals to sell some of my old vintage bats and uniforms for cards. I was horrified at the concept of the items being distroyed.

Comment

• Eric
                              • Jan 1970

Drew Brees has only played for the Saints for 2 seasons, 2006 and 2007

Drew Brees jersey from american memorabilia which he signed "game used 2006" and is a size 46

[ATTACH]15234[/ATTACH]

Here is a Donruss 2007 Leaf Limited Brees card size 50

[ATTACH]15235[/ATTACH]
                              http://cgi.ebay.com/Drew-Brees-2007-...ayphotohosting
                              Here's another Drew Brees size 50 which is on a Donruss card

Name:	brees1.jpg
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	647867

Name:	brees2.jpg
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	647868

Comment

• Eric
                                • Jan 1970

And this one...

Name:	brees3.jpg
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	647869

Name:	brees4.jpg
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	647870

Comment

Working...