Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • both-teams-played-hard
    • Nov 2005

Re: @ videos that can bring a tear to a GU collector's eye

Wilt was number "5" ? Who knew? I think you guys are haters. This a beautiful thing that Topps is doing. They are giving collectors a chance to own a piece of a sports relic. A small swatch that you could carry around in your wallet to bars and it makes a great conversation piece. You could also meet women. Chicks dig game used jersey cards. That Jim Brown jersey needs to get cut up, so everybody gets their fair share. It's made of that super heavyweight material. I forgot what it's called. Players shared pants all the time. Sometimes between innings. Homeboy with the mic saw Bob Gibson's pants and said "bitchin". Sorry all you old guys...he's ultra-hip and you're not.

Comment

• sox83cubs84
      Banned
      • Apr 2009

I likely have nothing that qualifies, and they'll doubtless never ask me, but, if a card company approached me to buy an item I owned or authenticate items they owned, I'd refuse.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• TFig27
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Ollie
        This one is very painful, especially when they showed the the Mantle pants cut up...

Inside The Topps Relic Room
        Ollie,

If you see this, could you send me an email. Have a quick question. Couldn't find your email and your PMs are off.

Thanks a lot
        Tom

TFig27@aol.com
        sigpic
        TFig27 - NY Yankees Collector
        A. Boone - R. Cano - N. Swisher - T. Martinez - P. O'Neill - E. Hinske
        J. Damon - R. Brogna - D. Bragg - W. Upshaw - K. Farnsworth

Comment

• joelsabi
          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by MJB14
          I guess you can say its kind of like looking at a group of cows grazing in the pasture just outside the slaughter house:

[/URL]
          The guy said "look forward to these jerseys or pieces of these jerseys to be incorporated in Panini product"

so here's hoping Panini does the prudent thing and make a 1:100000000 odds redemption card to win the entire jersey. Aesthically speaking, the Triple Treads cards are superb but why not just use a replica jerseys or game issed jerseys to make the card? The jersey loses its historical significance as a game used equipment once it's cut apart. Can you imagine anyone justifying cutting up the original American flag that was sewn by betsy ross into little patches so that more Americans could own it?
          Regards,
          Joel S.
          joelsabi @ gmail.com
          Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• stlbats
            • Nov 2005

People should STOP buying these rediculous cards and even the packs that they can be found in. This is just plain ubsurd. Those NFL jerseys all showed great use. If anyone on the board collects this crap, I challenge you to stop buying these cards.

Thanks
            Jason
            stlbats@bellsouth.net

Comment

• Mulligans
              • Dec 2009

WOW.....Sad to say that I sold the Evans to JO only a week ago!
              Attached Files

Comment

• ivo610
                • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Mulligans
                How much of JOs items are directly from teams and how much is from other collectors?

I wish I would have know, would have loved to buy that evans.
                Ryan

NFL game used collector

Comment

• solarlottry
                  • Jan 2009

I was told by another big time NFL collector that JO sold many items to the card companies for the explicit purpose of being cut up. It would seem that a company that wants to make the hobby a better place would not be selling small pieces of sports history to be cut up by a corporation. From a business standpoint itnis good business but from a collectors standpoint it sucks.

Comment

• solarlottry
                    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Mulligans
                    When you sold the Evans shirt to JO did they specify that it would be sold to a card company to be cut up or did they make it appear as if they had a collector interested in it? I check their website almost daily for new additions and the Evans shirt never even appeared on it. I am going to assume that Mullligans had no idea that this Evans shirt would be sold to Pannini to be cut up or else I would hope that he wouldn't have sold it.

Comment

• mfsquirrelmaster
                      • Jan 2007

I think that the card company's cutting up a couple jerseys of current players really isn't that big of a deal. Most of the "star" players wear a new jersey ever game and if a couple get shredded it really isn't going to effect to much at all. Another Evans jersey can be found very easily. The Mantle, Jim Brown, and Wilt jerseys are a whole different can of worms. They should be in personal collections and museums. A benefit of the card company's doing this is that it will turn some people onto the real hobby of collecting game worn items. We are also assuming that the Wilt, Mantle, Brown, and other ultra rare jerseys are authentic and that is probably more likely not the case most of the time. If Topps is hacking up some of these fakes that is only a good thing. With all that said I agree with everyone else that this whole practice isn't a good thing and the card company's should move onto a new trend.

Comment

• Mulligans
                        • Dec 2009

I definitely didn't know and almost fell off my chair when I saw it in the video! I have been moving alot of my Bills jerseys and Jarrod picked it up off of Ebay. All he said was that he needed it right away.

I'm not really sure how I feel about the whole thing? It certainly seems to take away from the hobby, yet at the same time increaes the value of our items by reducing the Supply. I'm not sure that there are tons of Lee Evans out there and that is probably why Jarrod jumped on it.

JO asked me for a list of available Jerseys, but I havent had a chance to put it together and I think I will hold off because it really does leave you with a weird feeling.

Comment

• Tedw9
                          • Jul 2007

I know this forum is all about game used items but..... as we have learned lately, one "seller" was selling bogus game used items to be used on cards.

I am glad to see at least one company going to a reputable source to buy the jerseys. We know those jerseys ARE game used. No matter how much we hate it, how much we complain about it, people are GOING TO CONTINUE to buy game used cards. If those same folks find out that that the cards they own may be bogus, it may be enough to push them right out of the hobby. We can't afford to lose more collectors.

But if that same person finds out that yes, my jersey piece is 100% legit, they may be bit by the collecting bug and want to see how affordable the whole jersey would cost. They do some searching, find this awesome board crawling with folks who are willing to share all kinds of great information and see that yes, they CAN AFFORD a real game used jersey. Why pay hundreds of $$$ for a 1/1 piece when they can have a jersey for that same price, maybe just a little more. Then BOOM, they become a game used collector and our hobby becomes a little bit bigger and stronger. Exactly what our hobby needs, more collectors.

Now let me say I don't agree with cutting up the greats jerseys, Mantle, Williams, Ruth, Jim Brown, Wilt and those guys. No way, no how. But with today's guys, we can afford to have a few cut up. We all know there are enough ARod jerseys to go around and still be able to sacrifice a few without it causing a shortage. So have at it I say, cut up all the new jerseys and bats you want because they are making more every day.

I guess I am just trying to see the silver lining to the cloud, but that is just my nature.

Comment

• bambelbitz
                            • Dec 2009

I think it is safe to say that to see these videos sucks for everyone here in the forum, from a collector's point of view. Since I am relatively new to this industry and to this community (I have only purchased one game used NBA jersey) I would like to know something from the veteran collectors here:

From one jersey that they cut up in tiny pieces how many cards can be produced and at what price do the card companies sell them? (take for example that Wilt Chamberlain or the Bill Walton jersey)

What do you think is their profit margin on one of this jerseys by selling cards and not the entire jersey during an auction for example? I would estimate that almost all of these jerseys would go for at least a couple $10k and I don't see why "collectors" would give away a couple of hundreds of $$$ to earn a tiny piece of game used jerseys? Is it really that profitable from a business standpoint?

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by bambelbitz
                              From one jersey that they cut up in tiny pieces how many cards can be produced and at what price do the card companies sell them? (take for example that Wilt Chamberlain or the Bill Walton jersey)
                              In all seriousness, when did Wilt Chamberlain wear number "5"?

Comment

• joelsabi
                                • Aug 2005

Originally posted by both-teams-played-hard
                                In all seriousness, when did Wilt Chamberlain wear number "5"?

Hasn't worn #5 since high school.

Wilt used #13 while in Philadelphia. Guy Rodgers already wore #5 before Chamberlain joined the team.

Only could be these 2 players who wore #5 during this timeframe.
                                Steve Courtin
                                Paul Neumann
                                Regards,
                                Joel S.
                                joelsabi @ gmail.com
                                Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

Working...