Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Card Companies and "Game Used" Cards

Hello all. I was just wanting to get a few opinions on what you guys think about the following situation:

We (Platinum Marketing) take great pride in the one of kind items that we get from our clients and lately we have been seeing the card companies claiming to get their hands on particular items which they dont seem to know what they are getting their hands on.

Obviously there are those companies out there trying to make a few quick dollars and selling items to the card companies (which these distributors to the card companies are supposed to be certified) and they are probably the same people who are "doctoring" up the retail jerseys and selling them off as Game Issued or Used.

For instance. We deal exclusively with Josh Beckett and a few years back he was in the Futures All Star Game where he only used one jersey. The card companies came out with a "Game Used Futures" Jersey Card of his. That is great and all, but THE jersey which he wore in the game is matted and framed in his living room.

Recently the following was brought to my attention:
    Jonathan Papelbon gave us both his All Star BP worn Jersey and his All Star Worn Jersey from the '06 All Star game. A lot of you have seen the pictures of him signing the jerseys and also holding up the jerseys for us and our authentication process.
    Well then you come across the following on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-TOPPS-JONAT...QQcmdZViewItem

I brought it to Papelbon's attention and he stated that the jersey from the field was in fact THE jersey he gave us.

The funny thing is that when you flip over the cards that supposedly have the appropriately named game used items included, there is a guarantee from the company's president.

Any thoughts????

Jason Oberle
    jason@platinummarketinginternational.com

Re: Card Companies and "Game Used" Cards

Is says "All Star Workout-Used Jersey". Isn't there a "workout day" like the day before the All Star Game? Also, about the Futures jersey, they probably cut up a BP jersey. I don't think I've seen a jersey card with an actual piece of an All Star Game jersey, World Series jersey, Futures game jersey,etc. I've seen a lot of BP ones though

I contacted Upper Deck to ask if they kept photos of the jerseys they cut up. They told me there was no record of the jerseys they made into cards. Handy.

I've recently seen Julius Erving UDA game used cards that feature a blue mesh swatch. Those would have to be from his 76ers road jersey from either his first or second year in the NBA. One of those jerseys would be considerably rarer than the road red 76ers jersey he wore for the rest of his career. I've never seen one up for auction. And seeing that an ABA jersey of his went for not too far off $150,000, you'd think the owner of one of these rare blue 76ers jerseys might want to test the market. But I guess UDA quietly acquired one of these jerseys and quickly cut it up.

Concerning the Papelbon Jersey, Jason's questions are the same I have been asking myself for almost 9 months. As a huge Papelbon collector myself I have also spoken to Jonathan about this particular "Cool Base" All Star BP Jersey. Going back a bit more than 6 months ago Hunt Auctions auctioned off an entire set of MLB Authenticated Autographed All Star BP Jerseys from the 2006 game. Most of these Jerseys did not sell because of the high opening bids for something that in the description on the Hunt website was not listed as "Game Used". I have been told by a friend who did win one of these jerseys that when you put the MLB Hologram number into the box on the authentication website it IS listed as game used. If this is indeed the case than Jonathan wore 3 Jerseys during warmups????? Jonathan himself has told me that the jersey that Platinum has is indeed the one he wore during the warm-ups. He also said he was issued at least 2 BP jerseys but did not wear the other. Perhaps that is the one on the card.....or in the Hunt Auction. I have purchased several game used items of Jonathan's from Platinum as well as numerous items that I have purchased directly from Jonathan himself. I have even shown Jonathan items I purchased from Platinum and before he even gets the item in his hand he starts talking about what it is, when he used it, how long he used it, etc, etc. This goes as far back even to a glove he used almost 4 years ago. Jonathan is sharp and remembers every item he has used from his Single A jersey up to his 2006 Jerseys. I have taught my kids to look up to honest sincere players like Jonathan. It is however a shame that card companies are either misled in what they are buying and putting on cards or are misleading the kids who are buying their products. Either way it is up the the card company to do their homework before buying supposed game used jerseys the same way we as collectors should do our homework before purchasing items for our collections.

Thanks
    Scott Sawyer
    jonathanpapelbon.com

i can't believe people actually spend hard earned money on cards with a 1/2 inch as fabric on. i always thought those game used cards were stupid. i would like to know who thought cutting up a ty cobb worn jersey was a good idea.

I really wish I knew more about how it works but apperently a company called CMG Worldwide owns the property rights to the following athletes .and apparently a couple years ago they partnered with UD to attempt to rid the world of every game used treasure that exists on this planet. Athletes such as Gary Carter have been interviewed saying how great they think it is that they can cut up a Ruth Jersey into a thousand pieces for all to enjoy.......I ask you all this. How many times have you marveled over a 1 inch by 1 inch piece of fabric. It is an absolute crime and I wish their were similar Laws in place to protect these items as their are to protect historical sites, homes and buildings.
    Babe Ruth
    Lou Gehrig
    Jackie Robinson
    Honus Wagner
    Ty Cobb
    Tony Lazzeri
    Don Drysdale
    Billy Martin
    Walter Johnson
    Cy Young
    Walter Maranville
    Roy Campanella
    Mel Ott
    Burleigh Grimes
    Grover Alexander
    Gil Hodges
    Satchel Paige
    Edd Roush
    Casey Stengel
    Rogers Hornsby
    Eddie Collins
    Rube Marquard
    Dizzy Dean
    Lefty Grove
    Frank Chance
    Tris Speaker
    George Sisler
    Christy Mathewson
    Mickey Cochrane
    “Shoeless” Joe Jackson
    Carl Hubbell
    Jimmie Foxx
    Thurman Munson
    Pie Traynor
    Johnny MizeHerb Pennock
    John Evers
    “Smoky” Joe Wood
    “Wee” Willie Keeler
    Zack Wheat
    Leo Durocher
    Ralph Kiner*
    Don Larsen
    Carl Erskine*
    Jim Palmer*
    Bob Feller*
    Eddie Mathews
    Enos Slaughter
    Fergie Jenkins*
    Monte Irvin*
    Harmon Killebrew*
    Early Wynn
    Lou Brock*
    Mordecai “Three - Finger” Brown
    Pee Wee Reese
    Tommy John*
    Alexander Cartwright

Quote Originally Posted by closersuck View Post
    i can't believe people actually spend hard earned money on cards with a 1/2 inch as fabric on. i always thought those game used cards were stupid. i would like to know who thought cutting up a ty cobb worn jersey was a good idea.

Well I used to collect it before switching to game used memorabila that's intact but when I was 10, first starting to collect cards, and knowing that I could buy a pack of cards and I could get a piece of a jersey worn by my favorite player was a really cool idea to me. But over time card companies just took it way too far by spending thousands and thousands on historical pieces of memorabilia and shredding them up. They should just make them with current memorabilia and just do it for the kids. I remember when star player game used cards from players like A-Rod, Griffey, Sosa,etc. used to go for like $30-$50 per card but now you can get them for a buck on eBay. Like I said, card companies took it way to far and the only reason why people still spend their money on these boxes is to hopefully get a good card and throw it on eBay right away. You can easily tell now that card companies aim strictly for adults only. WHAT KID WOULD HAVE THE MONEY TO SPEND $300 ON A SINGLE PACK OF CARDS?!?

i agree with the preserving post. memorabilia collecting aside, baseball is a huge part of american history. maybe not so much now but 80 years ago it was. as americans i believe it is our duty to preserve history for future generations. destroying a babe ruth jersey is just wrong, i can't believe more people haven't spoken out about it. I'm surprised some card company hasn't cut up elvis' gold suit or the ruby red slippers from the wizard of oz.

Quote Originally Posted by closersuck View Post
    I'm surprised some card company hasn't cut up elvis' gold suit
    Actually........

http://cgi.ebay.com/Topps-Pristine-L...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/2002-TOPPS-AMERI...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/2002-AMERICAN-PI...QQcmdZViewItem

Scott if I remember correctly the jerseys that Hunt had at their auction last November at the Louisville Slugger Museum were the alternate ALL-STAR GAME jersey's that were signed by the players. I was under the impression that these were not the actual game used jersey's but their second set as only two sets were produced. These were being sold for charity.