Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

'07 Pink Bats Ready for Shipment

Saw a TV news piece about the pink "Bats Against Breast Cancer" being made & ready for shipment to teams from Louisville Slugger last night (think it was on CBS)..they showed a Griffey bat being prepped..Bats will be used May 13th then again auctioned for charity at a later date..there's a nice pic of David Eckstein bats on Yahoo sports. Jay.

Re: '07 Pink Bats Ready for Shipment

That's great that MLB is doing these special pink bats to benefit finding a cure for breast cancer again.

Don't you fellows think though it is kind of odd that we have not seen many of the 2006 pink gamers offered on the secondary market? Other than the one David Wright gamer.

It's nice to know most of these bat probably went to real collectors.

David

Quote Originally Posted by metsbats View Post
    Don't you fellows think though it is kind of odd that we have not seen many of the 2006 pink gamers offered on the secondary market?
    Not really, because the bats went for extremely high prices. It would be difficult to sell most of them for anything near what the original buyers paid. If I recall correctly, the secondary market bid on the Wright bat didn't come close to what it sold for on MLB.com. What I find odd (and disappointing) is that some bats never made it to auction. None of the Cardinals bats were offered, for example. Supposedly, each player received two bats -- one to give to their moms and one to be auctioned. That didn't happen in St. Louis.

This is great news. I really hope a bunch more player's do it this year. At least they are getting them made earlier, seems last year they were rushing to get them out to the player's and some didn't get the chance to have bats made. But like birdbats said, some never made it to auction. Seems a few player's must have just kept them. I know Jim Thome hit HR with one and I don't recall ever seeing his show up for auction, along with a few other's. Any idea where the Cardinals bats ended up? I just hope the Red Sox don't get rained out again. They never have any luck on these type of promotions.

Same thing happened in Houston. None of the bats ever hit auction. Berkman, Biggio, Taveras, and Ausmus (using Burke's pink bat because Burke was injured) all swung a pink stick, but I never saw any of them for auction. Berkman homered with his.

It is sad that some of these bats never showed up on MLB.com auctions. Does anyone know if at least the player's made a donation for the bats? With NHL auctions on this type of stuff I don't recall any player's just keeping the items. I know a few bid and won them for themselves. At least put them up for auction for the charity. Also, if an extra was made for them to keep, why keep both? I know a few people won them on this forum last year. Would be cool to see some pictures of them. I also don't recall any others than the Wright getting re-sold. Have any showed up in major auction catalogs?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kb-holdings View Post
    Same thing happened in Houston. None of the bats ever hit auction. Berkman, Biggio, Taveras, and Ausmus (using Burke's pink bat because Burke was injured) all swung a pink stick, but I never saw any of them for auction. Berkman homered with his.
    I spoke to a source close to the Biggio family that claimed Biggio still had both bats he used. Biggio cracked one in the first inning. In inquiring about obtaining one, I was told they would be auctioned at a later date. Haven't seen anything and suspect it would be done locally. I have attended two charity events, one with Biggio as the featured speaker, and haven't see one yet.

I will keep you posted if I hear anything!

Do you have a calendar or list of upcoming Astros charity events?

Banned

No, nothing scheduled right now. Send me an e-mail when you can!

Thanks,

Is there any completed auction lists that show how much the bats sold for last year. Or even who used them and what one's never were auctioned. I know Bill Hall's bat went for the crazy amount of 25K. Anyone recall what some other's sold for? On MLB.com auctions now is a Kevin Mench. Is this the first sighting of a Texas Rangers one from last year. Doesn't show much use, I know the game was a rain out.