Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Re: Alex Rodriguez "gamer" fielding glove ??

You could also think that selling the gloves to that store and buying them back could cut out any question of where they originated. Just another random thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlevv View Post
    You could also think that selling the gloves to that store and buying them back could cut out any question of where they originated. Just another random thought.
    Carlevv,

Interesting theory. Unless the store was in on it, how could the person who sold them to the store for $25 a piece be sure that he'd be able to buy them back at an extremely low price?

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Thats just it, maybe an employee had something to do with it? I dont know if thats even cool for me to say but hey you never know. Im just bringing up these points for the heck of it. I'd hate to discourage the guy who bought the gloves as they are really cool if you ask me. Im just stirring enquiring minds a little thats all. I like everyone else is curious how this happend so im just covering all the bases. Seems a little weird how it went down but god bless everyone involved. Its a great story.

Confirmed today with one of the Yankee players that the bullpen catcher's car got broken in to and the gloves are stolen. FYI, AROD never used the gloves either. The bullpen catcher used the gloves and he had them in his car while he was catching someone at USC. He made a police report that someone broke into his car and stole his bag which contained the gloves. The PD is investigating the person who sold the gloves to Play It Again Sports. Hate to say i told you so but i told you so. If i was the guy who bought the gloves i'd be a little bothered but hey, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. He has two AROD gloves but they were never worn by him. Thats not cool.

Pretty amazing info you dug up. Please keep us posted on anything else you hear. Have the winners of the auction been contacted by police to explain that they have stolen merchandise?

Regards,
    Dave

Talked to the bullpen catcher today and he confirmed the story. However, he said the gloves were stolen out of his car while it was at his house. He got to USC and noticed his equipement bag was missing. He called PIAS after seeing this story and said they were his gloves and they were stolen. PIAS said they took his info but they dont release info on thier sellers. I dont have to make stories up or try to disscredit anyone here. Those claims really bother me. All i like to do is inform this forum of info they might not usually get by being the average collector. I dont need to make these gloves out to be not game used by AROD. Listen, they arent signed for one. For two if AROD said he wasnt missing any gloves how is this "gamer" on the market? THESE THINGS DONT HAPPEN. Thats besides the point though. Mike Borzello the Yankee bullpen catcher said the police are working on this as we speak. Ill keep you posted.

Carlevv,

For the record, I'm not accusing anyone of anything. I was a bidder on a couple of the gloves and have have had interest from the very beginning (as is easily evidenced by my early posts in the relevant threads on GUF). As such, I'm interested in the story that has unfolded. Still, it is a policy of GUF that posters need to back up their assertions of fact, particularly when they may harm others in some way (e.g., reputation, financial, etc.). That is all.

I look forward to reading future posts as this story continues to unfold.

Best,
    Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlevv View Post
    Confirmed today with one of the Yankee players that the bullpen catcher's car got broken in to and the gloves are stolen. FYI, AROD never used the gloves either. The bullpen catcher used the gloves and he had them in his car while he was catching someone at USC. He made a police report that someone broke into his car and stole his bag which contained the gloves. The PD is investigating the person who sold the gloves to Play It Again Sports. Hate to say i told you so but i told you so. If i was the guy who bought the gloves i'd be a little bothered but hey, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. He has two AROD gloves but they were never worn by him. Thats not cool.
    Unbelieveable! The winner of the gloves paid $10,000 total for both arod gloves. I am going to email the seller of the arod gloves with this information, as I'm sure if it's true, both he and the seller should be very concerned.

I'm also going to contact Denny Esken and make him aware of this, as he was mentioned in the article and I would hate for his name to come up if this information is true. However, Denny only stated the gloves were authentic (and they are), not game used.

If the catcher did make a police report, then it is a matter of record. If this catcher did use arod gloves to break them in before games, then the possibility of this information about these particular gloves could be very true.

What's really scary is, if these gloves are sent in to be authenticated, and are.

I was told that if you sell something to Play it Again Sports you have to produce identification. If thats the case and the person whole had stolen the gloves was the one selling them why would he give his ID? This might be a person who had NO IDEA what he was getting him or herself into. Im not aware of Denny Eskin because ive never dealt with an authenticator but if he said these were game gloves he was correct. If he said these gloves were worn by AROD he's been mistaken. Listen, i respect the job of someone like Denny but at the end of the day the only real proof of if you have a "real game used item by the player himself" is for the player to give it to you in person or to photomatch it. The memorabilia buisiness is so shady to begin with and this story could identify with that.

Guys,

Here's a very simple question (CarleVV, maybe you can answer this): Does *Play It Again Sports* have cameras? This is something that I've wondered from the beginning (it seems like there are cameras everywhere you go any more) because I have been curious as to who sold the gloves to PIAS in the first place. With this new information, though, I imagine any footage of the transactions would be helpful to the police.

You have to feel bad for the eBay buyer - he'll be sick to his stomach when he hears this. Hopefully, he'll be able to get his money back.

Reid