Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hybrid View

Re: Cal Ripken Fielders Glove Bought for a "Song" on eBay

Howard,

It is the same glove, and I can simply tell you that it has been confirmed by Bob Clevenhagen, the actual maker of these gloves, that there is not a problem with the lining as was originally noted on the forum.

Regards,

Dave

In my opinion, this post shows me that dealers and auction houses aren't the only entities that possibly engage in questionable ethical dealings in order to make $$$. It's sad what this industry has become. THINGS MUST CHANGE!

Just curious as to whether Heritage is auctioning the Ripken glove and, if so, would someone please provide me with the link to it (I cannot find it)?

Thank you.
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

I did notice that they have pulled an image of it from their most recent auction preview advertisement in SCD...Hopefully they'll have a shred of character and not auction it...

Banned

As an update to my previous post on this subject......

After speaking with Chris Ivie at Heritage, I understand that the glove in question was forwarded to Mr. Clevenhagen at Rawlings, in order to determine its authenticity, or lack of.

According to Chris, Mr. Clevenhagen has provided written confirmation that the glove was indeed made for Cal Ripken Jr. and shipped to him or his agent for his use on the field. Chris indicated he did not have the letter in front of him, however, provided the above summary. Likewise, he said it will be relisted for their upcoming auction, and Mr. Clevenhagen's information included.

This entire thread leaves me extremely confused. From the previous posts, one is led to believe that Dave O'Brien's glove is completely fake. Note, according to the posts, it was purchased off of Ebay as a game used glove, however, Victor at AMI would not include it in his auction, based upon glove expert Denny Eskin's opinion that it was not manufactured to Ripken's specifications, i.e, the interior lining was not correct. Dave indicated that he had since sent it to Clevenhagen, who confirmed it to be legit. After a second examination, Mr. Clevenhagen again has stated, in writing, that the glove is legit. No faults were noted.

It appears Dave O'Brien has done his homework, received written confirmation from Rawlings as to the authenticity, and is in receipt of a nice Ripken glove.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Quote Originally Posted by hblakewolf View Post
    As an update to my previous post on this subject......

It appears Dave O'Brien has done his homework, received written confirmation from Rawlings as to the authenticity, and is in receipt of a nice Ripken glove.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net
    Howard - Thanks for the Post. That should define this glove in its worse case as "game issued" so congrats to Dave!

I for one still have doubts that Cal ever used it on the field of play due to the oil patterns, but the news is encouraging!

Andrew

Cal Ripken Jr. glove sold for $2,900

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/...159249676&rd=1

Strange $ amount when the auction said $3,000 starting bid. Does anyone have the background? Bidders: 0

Bidders:0 Total Bids:1 Time Ended:Oct-27-07 12:00:04 PDT
    This item has ended.

Check again guys. If you are following the live auction on Heritage's site, it pretty clearly states that the glove did not sell. There is an option to buy the glove now for $3500 and change.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by RobSteinmetz View Post
    Check again guys. If you are following the live auction on Heritage's site, it pretty clearly states that the glove did not sell. There is an option to buy the glove now for $3500 and change.

Rob
    Rob - It shows as sold. $3,000 + 19.5% BUYER'S PREMIUM

Lot: 19658
    Auction: 708 1990's Cal Ripken, Jr. Game Used Fielder's Glove. For the serious game used equipment collector, the fielder's glove is con...

View Larger Image
    Sold for: $3,585.00 (includes BP)

Bid Source: N/A

Ended:Oct 26, 2007

Buyer's Premium:19.5% of the successful bid (minimum $9.00 per lot)

Auction Name:2007 October Signature Sports Collectibles Auction - Session II #708