Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yankees159
    • Aug 2005

Re: Cal Ripken Fielders Glove Bought for a "Song" on eBay

In my opinion, this post shows me that dealers and auction houses aren't the only entities that possibly engage in questionable ethical dealings in order to make $$$. It's sad what this industry has become. THINGS MUST CHANGE!

Comment

• mvandor
      Banned
      • Apr 2007

Clearly something personal is going on here in this war of words beteen two members, I assume there is some history there.

It seems to me there are collectors, and there are profiteers. Someone that scores an item at a below market price then immediately moves to flip it falls into the latter category in my book. So, if the Ripken is real then Dave scores a cool profit flipping it; if it is not, then he overpaid and will take a loss unless he moves it to someone else less discriminating. Accordingly, he has a significant interest in defending its legitimacy. At least one other person questions same, thus threatening the profiteering venture.

Is that about it?

Comment

• 3arod13
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by mvandor
        Clearly something personal is going on here in this war of words beteen two members, I assume there is some history there.

It seems to me there are collectors, and there are profiteers. Someone that scores an item at a below market price then immediately moves to flip it falls into the latter category in my book. So, if the Ripken is real then Dave scores a cool profit flipping it; if it is not, then he overpaid and will take a loss unless he moves it to someone else less discriminating. Accordingly, he has a significant interest in defending its legitimacy. At least one other person questions same, thus threatening the profiteering venture.

Is that about it?
        What I find troublesome is when someone buys something believing it's authentic...finds out after they receive it's not...then turns around and sells it as authetic, when they now know it's not. I'm not saying in this case it happens, but we all know some people do.

Regards, Tony
        Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• allstarsplus
          • Nov 2005

What was the quote from the movie that Jack Nicholson as Colonel Jessup made famous--You can't handle the truth!

Collecting gloves is as tough as it gets due to the extreme scarcity of the real glove. I thought I had purchased Moises Alou's glove used in the famous Bartman playoff game (Marlins vs. Cubs) and what I got was his backup glove.

When doing my research, I found a great article that discusses GLOVES.

Cal Ripken played 21 seasons in the Majors. He didn't use many gloves. He has said on more than 1 occassion the status of his gloves. That glove is not the missing Kansas City glove. You would think that everyone would take Cal's word on it and move on. Cal is an honorable guy. The bigger question to me is whether it is a glove that was made for Cal which makes it rare. Bob Clevenhagen can certainly answer that. If it was made for Cal, than there is huge value in the glove. We all know that there were Ripken gloves with his name sewn on that Rawlings made for promotional and autograph purposes. You can buy a game model off of Ironclad's site now for $495 with an autograph and Gold Glove inscription!!!!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	08NT_I018_A_MLB.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	639446

So, if the Ripken is real then Dave scores a cool profit flipping it; if it is not, then he overpaid and will take a loss unless he moves it to someone else less discriminating. Accordingly, he has a significant interest in defending its legitimacy. At least one other person questions same, thus threatening the profiteering venture.

Is that about it?
          Nothing personal here, but there are several people questioning it. Brett has detailed many that claim they have the glove!

Look at Cal's real gloves and see the real oil patterns and use patterns and let that be your proof.

Andrew
          Regards,
          Andrew Lang
          AllstarsPlus@aol.com
          202-716-8500

Comment

• lund6771
            • Dec 2006

so typical...there will ALWAYS be at least one auction house that will take out the trash

Comment

• camarokids
              • Jun 2006

I am sure everyone remembers the supposed find of game used gloves at a used sporting goods store in California . Wasn't it determined the AROD glove was a promotional glove due to the period at the end of his name (where it is sewn in)??

Well wouldn't the same apply here w/ Ripkens gloves? If so . It would be an easy way to tell the difference between player issued and promo???
              Thank you,
              David

This is my email address here!
              dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Comment

• mr.miracle
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by camarokids
                I am sure everyone remembers the supposed find of game used gloves at a used sporting goods store in California . Wasn't it determined the AROD glove was a promotional glove due to the period at the end of his name (where it is sewn in)??

Well wouldn't the same apply here w/ Ripkens gloves? If so . It would be an easy way to tell the difference between player issued and promo???
                My understanding from speaking with Bob Clevenhagen at Rawlings who made Cal's gloves throughout his career is that Cal's gloves were reproduced right down to the last stitch on the glove and in some cases are identical to his real gloves to the point that even Bob has a difficult time discerning the difference between the two. If the guy who made his gloves can't tell the difference then the general collecting public is going to be in for some trouble.

For whatever reason this identical gloves were shipped in mass quantities to Japan and used by either the Japenese league stars or up and coming people in their minor league system. These gloves have then made their way back into the US as Ripken game used gloves. My understanding is that there is not and never has been the distinguishing dot system in place at least not for the reproduced models. This is just one element of this whole ball of wax but unfortunately, it happens to have occured with Ripken game gloves which are already probably the most difficult find of any major star or hof player in the past 40 years to find.
                Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Comment

• camarokids
                  • Jun 2006

That does suck about the promo Ripken gloves being exactly as the real deal !

I feel very bad for the people who have spent thousands and now have to doubt what they own as legit .

For there is no reason not to believe what Cal says about keeping his gloves .

I would love to see the baseball collection Cal Ripken has ! If he saved almost all of his fielding gloves , He must have saved a lot of other stuff too! Then on top of that , I bet other players game him stuff or exchanges stuff ????
                  Thank you,
                  David

This is my email address here!
                  dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Comment

• Carlevv
                    • May 2007

XPFO, if you go to the hotel i dont think you will get close to Derek. Go to a restraunt name Muse. Its where Derek, Posada and others go after the game. Its a bar/eatery and its pretty dead all the time. They have dinner there every night after the games in Toronto. Ill be there myself at muse on the night of the off day, and the following two nights. See ya there!

Comment

• sportscentury
                      • Nov 2005

Just curious as to whether Heritage is auctioning the Ripken glove and, if so, would someone please provide me with the link to it (I cannot find it)?

Thank you.
                      Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Comment

• ironmanfan
                        • Sep 2005

I did notice that they have pulled an image of it from their most recent auction preview advertisement in SCD...Hopefully they'll have a shred of character and not auction it...

Comment

• hblakewolf
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2005

As an update to my previous post on this subject......

After speaking with Chris Ivie at Heritage, I understand that the glove in question was forwarded to Mr. Clevenhagen at Rawlings, in order to determine its authenticity, or lack of.

According to Chris, Mr. Clevenhagen has provided written confirmation that the glove was indeed made for Cal Ripken Jr. and shipped to him or his agent for his use on the field. Chris indicated he did not have the letter in front of him, however, provided the above summary. Likewise, he said it will be relisted for their upcoming auction, and Mr. Clevenhagen's information included.

This entire thread leaves me extremely confused. From the previous posts, one is led to believe that Dave O'Brien's glove is completely fake. Note, according to the posts, it was purchased off of Ebay as a game used glove, however, Victor at AMI would not include it in his auction, based upon glove expert Denny Eskin's opinion that it was not manufactured to Ripken's specifications, i.e, the interior lining was not correct. Dave indicated that he had since sent it to Clevenhagen, who confirmed it to be legit. After a second examination, Mr. Clevenhagen again has stated, in writing, that the glove is legit. No faults were noted.

It appears Dave O'Brien has done his homework, received written confirmation from Rawlings as to the authenticity, and is in receipt of a nice Ripken glove.

Howard Wolf
                          hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Comment

• allstarsplus
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by hblakewolf
                            As an update to my previous post on this subject......

It appears Dave O'Brien has done his homework, received written confirmation from Rawlings as to the authenticity, and is in receipt of a nice Ripken glove.

Howard Wolf
                            hblakewolf@patmedia.net
                            Howard - Thanks for the Post. That should define this glove in its worse case as "game issued" so congrats to Dave!

I for one still have doubts that Cal ever used it on the field of play due to the oil patterns, but the news is encouraging!

Andrew
                            Regards,
                            Andrew Lang
                            AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                            202-716-8500

Comment

• ripkengamers
                              • Nov 2005

If someone could provide me Mr. Clevenhagen's contact information privately, I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks!
                              :eek: "Shows solid identifier puckering" :eek: --Lou Lampson

Dan (ripkengamers@aol.com)

Comment

• allstarsplus
                                • Nov 2005

If you go to HA.com you can now view the Ripken Glove on auction which is LIVE online.

Here is the link:

Opening Bid: $3,000 ($3,585.00 w/Buyer's Premium (BP) )

HA made this a Platinum item. The description is very strong with no mention of any of the caveats mentioned on the this thread although the Clevenhagen COA seems to 100% state this was a real Ripken glove.

The question is whether the photos of the outside and inside of the glove are consistent with a Ripken "game used" and whether anyone believes Ripken's own statements about his own inventory of his gloves and the "missing" glove.

Description:

1990's Cal Ripken, Jr. Game Used Fielder's Glove. For the serious game used equipment collector, the fielder's glove is considered the ultimate prize. That love affair is born of the great scarcity of available models, and the tremendously personal aspect of them. While jerseys, caps, bats and batting gloves come and go, fielder's gloves tend to see action day after day, month after month without end, much like the man who once guarded the six hole with this special Rawlings. So we are thrilled to have the opportunity to place upon the auction block one of the few Cal Ripken, Jr. game used fielder's gloves to enter the hobby. A letter from Bob Clevenhagen, Rawlings' lead glove designer, states succinctly, "Upon receiving this glove [for review], I find that it is a glove I made for Cal Ripken, Jr. in the 90's. When this glove was made, it was either shipped straight to the player or a Rawlings representative would have hand delivered it to the player." So make no mistake--this is no mere store model. The specifics of the "PRO-6HF" place this glove upon the left hand of this newest Hall of Famer and no one else. Ripken's name is embroidered upon the exterior thumb in black thread, with a 10/10 black sharpie signature from the man himself at the ten o'clock position. Nice use is evident, with Ripken's trademark oiled palm in clear effect.

While Ripken will be remembered in baseball history first for his Streak, and second for his bat, one must remember that Cal may well have been the greatest infielder to wear an Orioles uniform since Brooks Robinson. Ripken's two Gold Gloves in the intensely competitive shortstop position date to the early 1990's, a period in which this glove may have seen action. A truly special piece worthy of Cooperstown, and the finest of private collections. LOA from Bob Clevenhagen. LOA from Joe Phillips. LOA from PSA/DNA (autograph). LOA from James Spence Authentication (autograph).</B> Guide Value or Estimate: $6,000 - $8,000.
                                Regards,
                                Andrew Lang
                                AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                                202-716-8500

Comment

Working...