Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Re: Cal Ripken Fielders Glove Bought for a "Song" on eBay

Quote Originally Posted by hblakewolf View Post
    Tony-

. Based in his rejection that Ripken used this glove, combined with issues relating to the actual materials used in the construction, it's pretty clear that this is not a glove used by the great Cal Ripken Jr.

At this point, what more could one ask to Cal, the Orioles, Clevenhagen or Eskin?

Howard wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net
    Howard,

There are no problems or issues with the construction or lining of the glove as per the guy that made the glove, so this is an incorrect and unfair statement.

I agree with Tony that is at LEAST worth the attempt...

some of the best team contacts I ever established came about EXACTLY by this course...so why not try...what do you have to lose?

The people that really should be making this attempt are the consignor and the auction house...it seems like they will attempt to keep a closed eye from all theses facts, hoping that it wil sell and also not end up in an article in the New Yoor papers

Dave with your strong ties to AMI, can you explain why the glove was not consigned in their auction?...is it by chance that he glove was declined by Denny, so Victor didnt want to run it?..and as a result you dumped it off at the next willing auction house?

Quote Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
    Howard,

Just curious, do you ever have anything positive to say than just pounce on people with your negative comments.

Regards, Tony
    Tony,

I appreciate all of your posts, and all of the positive contributions that you've made to GUF. But I must ask: Is there really a need to make a personal attack on Howard? And to do so in such a completely baseless manner? Honestly, it's irresponsibe, if not downright silly. Do you have any idea how many people Howard has publicly helped with Phillies, Mariners, Orioles, Trailblazers, etc., etc., items on GUF? And how many times has Howard been quick to hop on here and provide good words in support of a dealer or collector (as recently as a few days ago when he praised Joe Esposito of B&E Collectibles). I understand that you are upset that Howard believes that your suggestion is unrealistic, but let's be reasonable (and civil).

As for your suggestion, I, for one, would love it if Ripken himself were to comment on this glove. However, I don't believe that this would resolve all issues (for example, the issue of how Heritage has repeatedly asserted that the glove is a Ripken game used glove in light of all of the expert opinions that do not support this claim; certainly, this issue cannot be resolved by Cal Ripken Jr., as it has nothing to do with him). But, again, I'm all for Ripken commenting on this glove (if someone actually has the know-how and power to make this happen).

It would also be helpful if Chris Ivy would comment. Again, I am surprised that he has not offered an explanation.

Best,

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Banned

Howard,

Just curious, do you ever have anything positive to say than just pounce on people with your negative comments.

Yes, I like to believe that people are willing to help without having to gain from it.

Contacting the Orioles and getting it straight from Cal himself would be better than anyone else's opinion, no matter who they are. I have talked to Denny numerous times and am aware of his knowledge. My point was, this will continue to go on and on. With that said, coming from Cal Jr. would end this...period.

Yes, this would be a good thing to do and/or attempt.

Regards, Tony
    Tony-

Let me address your post:

do you ever have anything positive to say than just pounce on people with your negative comments

I make quite a few "positive" posts on this Forum, and often provide insight and assistance to fellow collectors on an array of subjects, i.e, tagging, patches, etc. I'm not sure if I "pounce" on people, rather, point out incorrect information posted in error and related.

Contacting the Orioles and getting it straight from Cal himself would be better than anyone else's opinion, no matter who they are. Yes, this would be a good thing to do and/or attempt

Tony, that's a grand idea! Since you surfaced this, please advise what success you have once you make the calls or emails to Cal and the Orioles.

I look forward to your update on this issue.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Quote Originally Posted by sportscentury View Post
    Tony,

I appreciate all of your posts, and all of the positive contributions that you've made to GUF. But I must ask: Is there really a need to make a personal attack on Howard? And to do so in such a completely baseless manner? Honestly, it's irresponsibe, if not downright silly. Do you have any idea how many people Howard has publicly helped with Phillies, Mariners, Orioles, Trailblazers, etc., etc., items on GUF? And how many times has Howard been quick to hop on here and provide good words in support of a dealer or collector (as recently as a few days ago when he praised Joe Esposito of B&E Collectibles). I understand that you are upset that Howard believes that your suggestion is unrealistic, but let's be reasonable (and civil).

As for your suggestion, I, for one, would love it if Ripken himself were to comment on this glove. However, I don't believe that this would resolve all issues (for example, the issue of how Heritage has repeatedly asserted that the glove is a Ripken game used glove in light of all of the expert opinions that do not support this claim; certainly, this issue cannot be resolved by Cal Ripken Jr., as it has nothing to do with him). But, again, I'm all for Ripken commenting on this glove (if someone actually has the know-how and power to make this happen).

It would also be helpful if Chris Ivy would comment. Again, I am surprised that he has not offered an explanation.

Best,

Reid
    Reid,

It doesn't bother me at all whether Howard agrees or disagrees with my comments. That's not an issue at all.

To say that it wouldn't do any good to contact the Orioles for help because they wouldn't have an interest it in, or to say Cal Jr. can't offer and or say anything more than what others has said, to me is negative and actually not true. I've done this many times, and teams and players were willing to help. From what I know, Cal Ripken Jr. is a great guy and if he was aware of all this, I'm sure he would help.

You're correct in that I didn't need to be so direct in my statement. However, I have made posts and/or responded to posts and he has made comments that I felt were harsh and rude. I could go back to earlier posts where I even stated that in the past.

Sometimes, just like with email, it's difficult to tell attitude and tone.

No harm intended.

Regards, Tony

Howard,

Yes, I like to believe that people are willing to help without having to gain from it.

Contacting the Orioles and getting it straight from Cal himself would be better than anyone else's opinion, no matter who they are. I have talked to Denny numerous times and am aware of his knowledge. My point was, this will continue to go on and on. With that said, coming from Cal Jr. would end this...period.

Yes, this would be a good thing to do and/or attempt.

Regards, Tony

If anyone is able to contact the Orioles and is sucssesful at accomplishing anything please let us know. I do happen to have Asst. VP of Operations Jim Duquette's cell phone number and have talked to him on several occassions but he was not with the team when Cal was there. He could perhaps point me to someone who was however I am going to try to contact someone I know who was an Orioles bat boy and club house attendant during Cal's final season's in Baltimore. Maybe if he takes a look at the glove he will have an idea since he is very well versed in Cal's game used bats. I will let everyone know if and when I find out anything.
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Quote Originally Posted by hblakewolf View Post
    Tony-

Let me address your post:

do you ever have anything positive to say than just pounce on people with your negative comments

I make quite a few "positive" posts on this Forum, and often provide insight and assistance to fellow collectors on an array of subjects, i.e, tagging, patches, etc. I'm not sure if I "pounce" on people, rather, point out incorrect information posted in error and related.

Contacting the Orioles and getting it straight from Cal himself would be better than anyone else's opinion, no matter who they are. Yes, this would be a good thing to do and/or attempt

Tony, that's a grand idea! Since you surfaced this, please advise what success you have once you make the calls or emails to Cal and the Orioles.

I look forward to your update on this issue.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net
    Howard,

Not my place to make that call. It's not my glove. However, if the owner makes the effort, I'm sure it will be successful.

I realize you provide many positives to this forum, however, you do at times come across harsh.

Nothing personal. Just didn't see anything positive you were adding with your response. Mainly negative, that's all.

I do take back "do you ever have anything positive to say than just pounce on people with your negative comments." Meant only on occassion.

Don't want a war of words. With that said,

Regards, Tony

Last week I contacted a key person within Cal's organization and got this message:

Unfortunately, with Cal working the NLCS for TBS and his preparation for his China trip at the end of the month, I don't anticipate myself speaking with him before this particular auction concludes.

The email then gave this gentleman's opinion which was insightful. I asked if I could Post the email on the Forum and got this email:

Good Morning Andrew:

Since the information I provided was more of a result of my own personal knowledge and has little or nothing to do with the work I do at XXXXXXXXXX, I don't want anyone to incorrectly assume that it's their (or Ripken Baseball's) position as well.

If you found any passage in my previous email that you found useful, let me know & perhaps I'll just add it to the thread under my name.

Thanks for asking, XXXXXXXX

Quote Originally Posted by lund6771 View Post
    Dave with your strong ties to AMI, can you explain why the glove was not consigned in their auction?...is it by chance that he glove was declined by Denny, so Victor didnt want to run it?..and as a result you dumped it off at the next willing auction house?
    Lund,

I don't know if Dave will answer your questions, though I would be interested in his responses. I can tell you that, unless AMI wanted to use a different glove "expert" (as Heritage has chosen to do) or use no glove authenticator at all, they would not be able to list the Ripken glove in any capacity. The reason? Denny flat-out rejected it. He is adamant that Ripken never used it, and he believes that it is highly unlikely that it ever even made it to Ripken for him to look at. I don't know how decision making at AMI is done (in fact, it has perplexed me for years), but I know that Denny rejects a lot of gloves that are submitted to AMI, and I believe that AMI, based on these rejections, simply refuses to list them (which is to their credit). Folks here know that I would never again do business with AMI, for a multitude of reasons, but I have always acknowledged their strength in the glove authentication department (i.e., Denny). AMI knows that if Denny says a glove is not good (and Denny rejects a lot of bad gloves), then it needs to be sent back to the consignor. If I am wrong about this, someone from the AMI inner circle is welcome to correct me, but this is my confident belief based on my conversations with Denny.

Best,
    Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Banned

Great debate. So, is this it in a nutshell:

- Maker of glove confirms it IS one he made for Cal (perhaps qualifying it as game issue)

- Most reputable expert on game used gloves gave it a thumbs down as a Cal game used glove as it lacked use characteristics of game used Cal gloves.

- Cal himself in interviews claims all or nearly all of his game used gloves (of which there were few) remain in his possession or the HOF's.

That about it, or did I miss an episode?