Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Re: Cal Ripken Fielders Glove Bought for a "Song" on eBay

Dave,

As I began to type my response to you, Denny Esken called me again. You have said that I'm not objective (which is an unfair statement on your part, but what is new?). So, I'd like to offer the following objective & factual commentary, based on tonight's conversation with Denny:

1) It is not a battle of authenticators as to the issue of game use. No authenticator that has been solicited thus far (though you can keep on trying) has been willing to say that Ripken used the glove.

2) The glove was manufactured in 1999, which is a fact, based on the four dots and the other model characteristics. Ripken moved to a larger glove prior to the beginning of the 2000 season (and used the larger glove during the 2000 and 2001 seasons), so the only possible season that the glove could have been worn is 1999. Denny has seen a multitude of this model glove, though Ripken played only 86 games in 1999. How many of these 4-dot gloves could he have used in 86 games?

3) Denny stated that the use characteristics of your glove are "nothing" like Ripken's typical use characteristics, including "grease" in the palm and a tight web.

4) Glove experts Clevenhagen and Phillips were unable to date the glove to 1999, but rather chose "1990s." (though, to their credit, they were able to pinpoint the decade in which the glove was manufactured).

5) Denny has talked with Clevenhagen about the glove. Both agree that the substance in the palm is not oil. They both insist that it is the synthetic grease that bonds the palm of the glove to the lining to "give the glove feel."

I think you should call Clevenhagen, Denny, or Joe, and ask them point blank: "What do you think the chances are that Ripken used this glove?" Let us know the results (as it's a real mystery).

Best,
    Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by ripkengamers View Post
    Did anyone take a gander at the buyer premium !!!!

22.5%
    I saw that as well . I think that is a good reason why I have never bid in an auction that has a buyers premium . Probably never will .............
    Thank you,
    David

This is my email address here!
    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Quote Originally Posted by camarokids View Post
    I saw that as well . I think that is a good reason why I have never bid in an auction that has a buyers premium . Probably never will .............
    C'mon you bunch of lilies! You're getting a rarely offered g/u (insert here), plus a Lou Lampson letter. What's to complain about?
    "The knowledge that this guy has in his head, some of you would never be able to comprehend."

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    Cal is now aware of this glove. Let's hope we get his spokesperson to Post. Andrew
    If this is true, I hope someone from Cal's side comes forward. I would hate to see someone pay that amount of money for this glove that still has many questions of its authenticity.

Cal...if you're out there and are aware of this matter, please come forward and solve it immediately.

Regards, Tony

here are some photos of cal in 1999.

given that bob and denny have spoken to each other about this glove, i'm very surprised there's no news about the entire issue of the lining. they must've discussed it right? did they agree to disagree? if so, how did that conversation go?

bob - "denny, as i said in the letter, i remember making this glove for ripken. i remember stitching it together with my bare hands".

denny - "no you didn't".

something like that? seriously, i kid. it's just very surprising that, with clevenhagen saying the lining is good and esken saying it isn't and them speaking to each other, they weren't able to resolve the issue.

anyway, maybe the lining is "wrong" and maybe it doesn't conform to ripken's typical use characteristics, however as reid fontaine said earlier "perhaps Ripken did use it briefly to try out a glove with the unusual lining." maybe it really was sent to ripken to try after trying it out and hating it, he gave it away. maybe that might explain the "tight web"? (ie: very brief use). maybe after it was given away, it was doctored up to show more use than it really had. maybe it's a perfect replica that clevenhagen himself can't tell apart from a gamer. ripken's own words don't exactly put it in a positive light.

while i agree that it'd be good for heritage to mention esken's opinion, i'm unsure about the protocol of it all. that is, they didn't solicit his opinion or pay him for it so can they still issue it? his opinion was issued for another auction house. i'm unsure if heritage can go ahead and use it for their purposes. when GFC and subsequently Historic sold that garbage "87 mcgriff" jersey, i railed on and on about it. neither of them chose to include my opinion in their ads. to quote david brent "and that's the tragedy".

rudy.

Quote Originally Posted by kingjammy24 View Post
    given that bob and denny have spoken to each other about this glove, i'm very surprised there's no news about the entire issue of the lining. they must've discussed it right? did they agree to disagree? if so, how did that conversation go?

bob - "denny, as i said in the letter, i remember making this glove for ripken. i remember stitching it together with my bare hands".

denny - "no you didn't".

something like that? seriously, i kid. it's just very surprising that, with clevenhagen saying the lining is good and esken saying it isn't and them speaking to each other, they weren't able to resolve the issue.

anyway, maybe the lining is "wrong" and maybe it doesn't conform to ripken's typical use characteristics, however as reid fontaine said earlier "perhaps Ripken did use it briefly to try out a glove with the unusual lining." maybe it really was sent to ripken to try after trying it out and hating it, he gave it away. maybe that might explain the "tight web"? (ie: very brief use). maybe after it was given away, it was doctored up to show more use than it really had. maybe it's a perfect replica that clevenhagen himself can't tell apart from a gamer. ripken's own words don't exactly put it in a positive light.
    Hi, Rudy -

I can offer the following, per my conversations with Denny. Denny and Bob do not disagree that Bob made the glove. Also, they do not disagree that it's a pro glove made to Cal's specifications, with the exception of the lining. Denny told me that the lining was an option that became available to the players earlier in the 1990s and that some players did not like it (including Ripken, Ozzie, and a few other stars) because it was "too soft." I did not have this information prior to my earlier post that you quoted above. I actually had planned to not post about this situation again, though I did want to explain my earlier post, since it was quoted.

As for the glove, Heritage has listed it as they fit. Dave and I disagree about many things, but I agree with him that at this point it is up to the bidder/buyer as to his comfort level with the item. As such, I intend this to be my last post on the topic.

Best,
    Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by sportscentury View Post
    Dave and I disagree about many things, but I agree with him that at this point it is up to the bidder/buyer as to his comfort level with the item.
    Best,
    Reid
    I would agree if all bidders are aware of this thread. Then, they could decide on bidding with their confort level.

Regards, Tony

Quote Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
    I would agree if all bidders are aware of this thread. Then, they could decide on bidding with their confort level.

Regards, Tony
    I wouldn't expect Heritage to alert "Potential Bidders" to read this Thread before bidding so unless they are regulars here or do their own substantial due dillegence I wouldn't expect they can bid with any comfort level.

As for the glove, Heritage has listed it as they fit. Dave and I disagree about many things, but I agree with him that at this point it is up to the bidder/buyer as to his comfort level with the item.
    We will see where all this ends after the auction is over I guess.

Andrew

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sportscentury View Post
    Hi, Rudy -

I can offer the following, per my conversations with Denny. Denny and Bob do not disagree that Bob made the glove. Also, they do not disagree that it's a pro glove made to Cal's specifications, with the exception of the lining. Denny told me that the lining was an option that became available to the players earlier in the 1990s and that some players did not like it (including Ripken, Ozzie, and a few other stars) because it was "too soft." I did not have this information prior to my earlier post that you quoted above. I actually had planned to not post about this situation again, though I did want to explain my earlier post, since it was quoted.

As for the glove, Heritage has listed it as they fit. Dave and I disagree about many things, but I agree with him that at this point it is up to the bidder/buyer as to his comfort level with the item. As such, I intend this to be my last post on the topic.

Best,
    Reid
    It occurs to me that it is POSSIBLE given the foregoing that the glove was made for Cal, he tried it in practice, perhaps even a game or two, didn't like the lining, and dumped it quickly before it accumulated the typical characteristics. In fact, if he dumped it quickly, he might not even have memory of it. It seems possible players are often asked to try new gear and simply don't like certain pieces and either end up not using them, or only using them very briefly.

Quote Originally Posted by mvandor View Post
    It occurs to me that it is POSSIBLE given the foregoing that the glove was made for Cal, he tried it in practice, perhaps even a game or two, didn't like the lining, and dumped it quickly before it accumulated the typical characteristics. In fact, if he dumped it quickly, he might not even have memory of it. It seems possible players are often asked to try new gear and simply don't like certain pieces and either end up not using them, or only using them very briefly.
    MVANDOR - You can certainly come up with an infinite amount of possible scenarios such as the one you came up with.

I just don't buy into your alternate theory (highlighted above in red) of any loss of memory on this one as it would pertain to Cal. Cal has stated before that he even knows all the whereabouts of his backup gloves.

Andrew