http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/A...ction_ID=35211

i have a question about these that i'm hoping can be answered by a Forum member who is better versed in mcgwire items/cleats than i am.

personally, during his early days with the A's, i've only seen mcgwire wear nike cleats with a green "swoosh". as well, it's my belief that nike switched from a square label on the tongue to a directly embroidered "swoosh" logo in 1992. anyway, here is my question:

to my untrained eye, these are a pair of white nike cleats with a #25 written on them. the listing does not indicate there is any provenance.
given these parameters, how is it possible to even begin to attribute these cleats to mark mcgwire? at the time these cleats were used, there must've been at least 20 players in the major leagues who wore #25. why are these not gary thurman's cleats? or kenny williams? maybe dave clarks'? etc. what about these cleats attributes them to mark mcgwire?

further along this line of questioning, since these are just a pair of ordinary baseball cleats with a #25 in them, what evidence is there to suggest they were even used at the major league level, as opposed to the minor leagues or even collegiate levels? to me, it's like taking a plain black wristband, writing #24 on it, and then concluding they were worn by barry bonds himself as opposed to some benchwarmer who wore #24 for the evansville otters.

again, i'm not claiming these cleats weren't used by mcgwire. i'm simply asking for someone to please enlighten me as to how such a verdict could be reached.

thanks in advance.

rudy.