Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
There are dozens of dedicated Ripken high-end collections and I know another with an identical looking Ripken glove (not autographed). I wonder where all these gloves came from and who owns the real Kansas City swiped glove. By the way, Cal always had a good backup mitt in his possession and knows those whereabouts too except the legitimate one he gave to a kid.

So who is telling the truth here? I believe Cal is.

I agree 100% with Brett's posting except I would buy the glove if it was characterized correctly as a factory game model and priced accordingly. It is still a great glove---but not for $2,999.

I can tell you with almost the highest probability that Cal also would never sign one of his gloves (except an unused glove) unless it came directly from him (and according to Cal that has never happened yet). He would recognize immediately if someone brought to him the Kansas City "missing" glove.

The glove Dave O'Brien purchased was autographed at the National in 2002.

So within the last 5 years since this glove was autographed it probably changed hands several times and my guess is someone worked it up as a game used glove.

This should be interesting what Chris Ivy does. Andrew

Great post Andrew:

One other missing piece that I forgot about, AMI sold what was generally regarded as a genuine Ripken game used glove several years ago. I belive it was examined by Denny Eskin and had an LOA from him. I will see if I can post the link if I can find it for examiniation purposes. That glove sold for I believe somewhere above $17 grand. Unless that glove is one of the four that I am familiar with, then that is at least a fifth glove out there and you mentioned another so that is six. If as you say the glove is labled correctly as a game issued then it would be a great piece to have. The problem is that when I spoke to Bob at Rawlings several months back he mentioned to me that Ripken gloves were reproduced as exact replicas that are so difficult to tell from the real thing that only the very foremost experts can tell them apart. That being said, Bob also said that anyone who had access to these gloves could take them to an adult twi-light league and instantly you have a Ripken game used glove.

Here is the info. from AMI on the Ripken glove from several years back. It would be interesting to know when that glove was stolen in KC or when Cal gave out the other one based on the date that this glove is reportedly from. I wonder if this could be one of those two. IF it is the real deal which several sources have told me it is, then it certainly must be one of those two gloves.

Lot 279: 1996-97 Cal Ripken Jr. Game-Worn Glove (Please read description)

Go Back | Read Description Bids: 25
Acct No:
High Bid:
$19,707
Auction Closed: 09/29/2005

Click Image to Enlarge

1996-97 Cal Ripken Jr. Game-Worn Glove (Please read description)

Cal Ripken Jr. has done pretty much everything during his extraordinary 21-year career. He holds the consecutive games streak that won't be beat in our lifetime, our children's lifetime or even our grandkids. He wasted no time when he entered the league in 1982 and won AL Rookie of the Year, won MVP in 1983 and 1991. Ripken also captured two Gold Glove awards while wearing this exact style glove. As do most players, Ripken took his time when breaking in a fielder's mitt. That's more than likely what stage this used Cal Ripken Jr. "Rawlings PRO-6 HF" glove was in. Heavy dirt but fairly stiff leather is exhibited on this 12" tan shortstop-third baseman "Heart of the Hide" treasure made from Horween leather. The "Gold Glove Series" piece features a 12" fastback and "Ripken" embroidered in black thread on the thumb.
Authenticators

100% Authentic/Denny Esken (Read Details)
100% Authentic Team (Read Details)