Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned

Re: Thurman Munson

Quote Originally Posted by Birdbats
    Good point about Reardon. I feel the same way about Ted Simmons. His stats compare very favorably with catchers already in the HOF, but he couldn't even get 5% to stay on the ballot. It makes no sense.
    I have always wondered why Thurman Munson was overlooked. I know he only played 11 years, but based on his untimely death and amazing career, offensively and defensively, I feel he deserves to be among the greats.

Re: 2006 Hall of Fame Votes

Quote Originally Posted by R. C. Walker
    Whoa! Before you start throwin’ cards around, consider Jeff Reardon:

16 Years, 367 Saves (All- Time Leader at one point), 3.16 ERA. And if I remember correctly, a couple of awful outings in the ‘92 Post Season w/ the Braves. He's completely off the HoF ballot.

IMHO Lee Smith or Jeff Reardon were good, the Blyleven's and John's of relievers, but not “All-Time Greats” no matter what color skin they have.
    I'm not sure I'd put Lee Smith in the same category as Jeff Reardon, if for no other reason than volume of saves (Smith pitched only 2 years longer than Reardon but had 111 more saves). I'd also have a hard time comparing Smith to Blyleven and John, neither of which hold (or held) any signifiant pitching records. Just for grins, here's how Reardon's stats compare to Sutter (who was elected this year), and John Wetteland (who received 4 votes this year):

Bruce Sutter: 12 years, 300 saves, 2.83 ERA, 5 times led league in saves, 6 All-Star appearances, 1 Cy Young.

Jeff Reardon: 16 years, 367 saves, 3.16 ERA, 1 time led league in saves, 4 All-Star appearances.

John Wetteland: 12 years, 330 saves, 2.93 ERA, 1 time led league in saves, 3 All-Star appearances, 1 World Series MVP Award.

Just so we stay on topic, I'm thrilled to have a 1980 home Bruce Sutter Cubs jersey in my personal collection...although I'm also actively searching for a Cardinals-era Sutter jersey!

Sutter also lost 3-4 years off his career, after tearing his rotator cuff in 1986. He really never was the same when he went to Atlanta, although they were a bad team when he pitched there. My one Sutter piece is a 1986 home jersey, purchased from Murf, many, many years ago.

Banned

I KNOW IM GONNA CATCH A LOT OF SLACK FOR SAYING THIS - everyone here knows who my favorite player was THATS RIGHT DARRYL STRAWBERRY he became eligible last year he got about 20 votes last year im not saying he belongs in the fame but i think it would have been nice to get at least 1 vote / HIS STATS ARE 10 TIMES BETTER THEN JEFRIES OR WEISS -

Strawberry stats
    ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
    8 TIME ALL STAR
    2 YEARS SILVER SLUGGER AWARD
    4 TIME MVP
    1987 - 39 HR'S / 36 STOLEN BASES
    TILL THIS DAY HOLDS THE HOME RUN RECORD FOR THE METS
    4 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP RINGS

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHY JEFFRIES AND WEISS?

Personally, I was disappointed with the amount of votes that Steve Garvey got. True, Jim Rice and The Hawk should be in there (and were closer to receiving the required amount of votes for enshrinement). But, Garvey was truly remarkable during the 70's and 80's. Not worthy alone of a call to the Hall, but he was a write-in candidate for the 1974 All-Star Game and won MVP honors. He was also the AS MVP in 1978 at San Diego (wearing a makeshift uniform and helmet because his threads could not be found). Second in MVP voting in 1978 to Dave Parker, over 1,200 consecutive games played (still an NL record), an NL record for fielding in a season, several 200+ hits in a season, big-time numbers in the playoffs, WS ring in 81, big HR in the 1984 playoffs for the Padres. He won't get in next year with Gwynn and Ripken on the ballot, and will have to be voted in by the Veterans Committee, if so duly honored. Any Garvey supporters out there???

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by island_style
    True, Jim Rice and The Hawk should be in there (and were closer to receiving the required amount of votes for enshrinement)
    I always thought Ken Harrelson deserves more respect. When he teamed up with Tom "Wimpy" Paciorek, they were the best announcing team I had ever heard. From his days as a major league player, to professional golfer, to announcer, to general manager and back to being a television announcer, "The Hawk" deserves to be in Baseball's Hall of Fame.

Right?

Hunger Strike For Donnie Baseball!!!!!!!!

Puckett's Numbers-mattingly's Numbers

Donnie Should Be In!!!

George

Regarding Garvey, you forgot to mention he had as much range defensively as a Cigar Store Indian!

Ken

Banned

OK OK OK as mentioned in my previous post everyone knows whos my favorite and by reading everyone else posts they feel pretty strongly about players that should be on the ballot that are not with that being said / HALL OF FAME - CAN ANYONE SAY RIGGED?

Ken,

That was pretty funny about Garvey's range at first base! Not too much dirt stains on the chest of his jerseys. Still, somehow, he managed to win several Gold Glove awards while saving many an errant throw from Bill Russell.

The voters get to vote for as many players they seem worthy. But, this year's results were disappointing (Garvey or no Garvey). Not taking anything away from Sutter, but there surely are others just as, if not more, deserving.