Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: ebay seller lambeauleeper and "game issued"

Ignorance is not and should not be a defense. Citing the fact that this is a "competitive market" is even worse. Taking it a step further would be to justify selling retail jerseys that were worn in a pickup game by the seller as game used. I think we would all be in agreement that that would be fraudulent, but if the "competitive market" arguement validates the misuse of the term "game issued," why not take that next step??

The bottom line is that people that sell their items have an obligation to be truthful in disclosing the history behind them. If they really are unaware of the history of their item, they should state that up front. At least the seller that Eric questioned responded to his inquiries. While the responses were lame, many sellers simply ignore such requests for information in the hope that some unsuspecting buyer will take the bait. It sucks, there's no excuse for that and hopefully, by discussing these items and those that sell them, slowly these incidents will occur less frequently.

Hey guys,
    I am not calling this person a crook, but how can he not know the history of something that may be the most important helmet of Brett Favre's career?

If he obtained this via purchase or trade, it would make sense that he would ask the person how it was originally obtained.

Also, I have seen many helmets that have been used in a game. They almost always show hit marks, scratching, field paint, something... If there is absolutely no wear at all, then I don't know if you can even raise the possibility that it might be game-worn. Game-issued would be possible, but not game worn.
    If that Favre helmet was actually a backup to his original used in Super Bowl XXXI, I would think that it is still worth 6-8k...

One last note: I have been tracking this user id for some time now... He has some amazing helmets that he described as game-issued or maybe game-used. I would assume that he gets most of his stuff from the same source. This guy has been listing helmets like this for at least a year or two. You would think at some point he would find out where they are all coming from.
    Thank you,
    Chris Nerat

Quote Originally Posted by mvandor View Post
    BTW, beantown, you refer to a Brady helmet he sold, but I see no such item either in his feedback or completed listings. Where are you getting that one from?
    lambeauleeper has had them in the past....I just checked lambeauleepers feedback and I notice this....
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=140090693589

$5,000.00 for a team issued jersey Moreover, this IS NOT a team issued jersey but a retail authentic...does not have the correct cut to be team issued....

Banned

Chris-
    Not to get off of the subject, however, why has SCD turned from such an informative publication in the past, now to a 55 page vehicle for auction houses to self-promote and advertise while you and the staff stay away from reporting any type of controversial activities in the hobby?

Personally, when my subscription runs out, I'll need to take a good hard look at renewing. If your current format and editiorial support of your advertisers continues, I'll be hard pressed to renew.

I suggest you start a thread and possibly ask for input on ways to improve your publication.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by beantown View Post
    lambeauleeper has had them in the past....I just checked lambeauleepers feedback and I notice this....
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=140090693589

$5,000.00 for a team issued jersey Moreover, this IS NOT a team issued jersey but a retail authentic...does not have the correct cut to be team issued....
    Again, I can't comment on the jerseys, you guys are far more knowledgeable than I on those.

My biggest beef with him on the helmets is that they are in the "game used" category on ebay and even he admits he has no evidence that they were used so he's selling them as "game Issued".

Apparently several of us have monitored his items for some time, we're just drawing different conclusions as to the helmets and/or his sales techniques.

As I've said, if he's making these up he's doing a near perfect job, better than anyone else including companies that create copies in volume as a business. I can't find a single flaw in any photomatch effort and I challenge you guys to find one (helmets only).

I simply don't feel he's misrepresenting the helmets in his descriptions (although the title and category are misleading) or in his responses to questions. Obviously if he had any provenance, heck even a good story or a pay-per-LOA Lampson cert, he'd get alot more for these helmets. ALOT MORE. That alone leads me to believe he's not running an intentional scam, if he is, he's REAL small time in his approach to be sure.

I don't disagree that the term "game issue" as used to refer to helmets SHOULD be defined as "team issue", however, that's just not the way the industry has operated or is operating. Any helmet collector has to know that and has to ask the right questions and due the usual due diligence then bid accordingly. Or not.

With all the big money game used fraud going around this case isn't worth the time already devoted to it in this thread.

While we're on the subject of "team issued", "game issued", etc., with Ebay seller lambeauleeper, this Ebay seller. flipsyr doing the same thing with more vintage helmets....

http://cgi.ebay.com/1960s-NEW-ORLEAN...QQcmdZViewItem

I have been informed by two helmet experts, that ALL these helmets this individual is selling/sold are not what they claim to be...prospective buyers beware of this sellers claims!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by beantown View Post
    While we're on the subject of "team issued", "game issued", etc., with Ebay seller lambeauleeper, this Ebay seller. flipsyrs doing the same thing with more vintage helmets....

http://cgi.ebay.com/1960s-NEW-ORLEAN...QQcmdZViewItem

I have been informed by two helmet experts, that ALL these helmets this individual is selling/sold are not what they claim to be...prospective buyers beware of this sellers claims!
    Well, my first impression of these is that they look awfully new for 40 year old helmets, but who knows, maybe the guy came across an old box of unused 1960's shells.

However, the lack of any facemasks, the identical shells, and the fresh exteriors, leads me to believe these were painted and decals applied by this guy. Perhaps he couldn't score a box of 1960's facemasks.

Hi Howard,
    Thanks for the questions... If you would like to start another thread about SCD, feel free.

The reason why we write so much about the various auction houses and the items they sell is because auctions have been such a huge part of the hobby in the past few years.
    If you have any articles in particular that you would like to see in our magazine, please shoot me an email.
    Eric Stangel actually wrote a column for a future issue, which we are very excited about.
    Also, I have been writing about some of the more controversial issues of the hobby in my blog. You should check it out sometime.
    We are in the process of adding audio and video interviews to our website, so hopefully we will be providing some things that have been missing in the past.
    Also, I saw a show special for a $25 subscription to SCD. That is less than 50 cents per issue. It's true that our publication is not the same 300-page monster as it was before eBay existed, but what magazine is? Hopefully you will renew...
    Regards,
    chris
    Thank you,
    Chris Nerat

I would ask that we stick to the subject of this thread. Howard, if you have something to post about SCD, I would suggest starting another thread.
    On a separate note, Chris, it's nice to have you chime in here. I know you're a Packers guy and I too have noticed lambeauleeper has had a lot of high-profile Packers issued pieces.
    I have also read your blog, including the entry about your concern over team issued jerseys showing up elsewhere as game used. Keep up the good work.
    Thanks,
    Eric
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Chris, I for one would like to see a report in SCD that goes into detail all of the authenticating problems with Lou Lampson and why these auction houses still use them. I know it's a double edge sword for SCD, but your publication should not turn a blind eye on what has been happening just because these auction houses buy advertising from you.

I also think SCD should do an in depth piece on the way auction houses conduct business with consigning their own items, having access to raise bidders proxy bids and most important changing or altering items in their auction without disclosing the facts of the alterations.

Thanks
    Todd