thought some of you might be interested in a couple of other shady deals i have come across when dealing with football helmets sold at auction...

the first case concerns an ebay seller who listed a rare delaware blue hens helmet (clearshell marietta with leather padding). the seller said he was a delaware alumnus, that he obtained the helmet from the team and also included in his auction a few other blue hen trinkets including the pin pictured below and other items not shown. it was indeed an authentic delaware blue hens helmet. the buyer, vintagekusports (ebay), picked it for a steal at $195.

once ebay's user history lookup expired, a window in which allows anyone to see what an ebayer bought and sold, vintagekusports promptly listed the helmet. but instead of listing it as what it was, an authentic blue hen helmet obtained from a delaware alumnus, he slapped a facemask on it and relisted it as a game-used michigan helmet that he had obtained from a reliable source. it sold for $700. i confronted him on this and he responded by relisting the helmet using private bidding so that i could not warn buyers.

what makes this instance so disturbing is that vintagekusports is an active memorabilia dealer on ebay and often has fantastic vintage items for sale - authentic vintage items. yet his greed got the better part of him on the delaware helmet...

here are a couple of photos of when it was originally listed (i added red circles to the photos to show common marks)...

here are a couple of photos of vintagekusports relisting of the helmet when he described it as a game-used michigan helmet...

here's another one - an ebayer listed this helmet as a game-used chargers helemet. a very nice lid that looks to be authentic...

here it is when it was listed again - check out what happened to the number 41 on the back of the helmet! guess the lister wasn't concerned that the number switching didn't match the correct number written inside the helmet....