Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: New Football Items

re: the haslett card
    it doesn't have the "pjm" sticker above the facemask. either haslett chose not to wear the memorial or the photo is not from 1986. mcgroeder passed away in february of 1986 so it stands to reason that the memorial was worn from the start of the season.

i think it seems that if it's a blue facemask and has a "pjm" sticker then the photo is from 1986 only. 1985 wouldn't have the "pjm" sticker and 1987 wouldn't have a blue facemask.

there a couple of other things i noticed.

1) the neckline. roger, your kelly has a perfectly circular neck whereas game photos that we know are from 1986 seem to show a definite v-neck.

2) one of the keys, as josports mentioned, is the top or "head" of the "1". photos show a 1 with a blunt, wide top and short nose. roger, your jersey has a narrow-top "1" with a long nose. you indicate that you feel that the photo on the 1987 Pro Football Yearbook is like yours but if you compare the top of the "1"s, you can clearly see that the one in the photo is the same blunt-top/short-nose as seen in other photos.

i wonder if we're getting into the mess of trying to prove that something wasn't worn when it should be the opposite. roger, in light of everything,
    what was it that caused you to initially view the jersey favorably? was there any photo evidence to support the number fonts or neckline?

rudy.

Gentleman,

I've tried to avoid commenting in this discussion as I prefer not entering into a debate about a jersey without examining it in person and when it is not any of my business. However, at this point, I feel obligated to comment in an attempt to be helpful on this particular jersey and to clarify a couple of issues brought up in this thread.

Rudy beat me to the punch regarding The Sporting News cover photo not appearing to match Mr. Gibson's Jim Kelly jersey with regard to the font style of the #1 and the difference in the neckline. I agree 100% with Rudy's assessment. Also, I can't tell from the magazine cover photo, but are those "handwarmer" pockets or just a shadow? (Can someone who has the actual magazine please comment.)

One clarification with regards to Rudy's comments about the Jim Haslett card. It is a 1986 card, so the photo is from 1985 or earlier, not 1986. Also keep in mind that Haslett's last season in Buffalo was 1985.

I agree in general with Marcus, but with regards to the 1987 season, please note that the Bills would "mix-and-match" in that some players can be seen wearing the Sand Knit fishnets (port hole mesh) while others wore the normal-style mesh Champion jerseys in the same game. See Getty image #73428283 from the Bills-Eagles game of 12/27/87 where Kelly is in a Sand Knit jersey while the lineman pictured is wearing a Champion jersey (difference in style of the number font on Champion jerseys of that era are quite distinctive from other manufacturers). Making things even more interesting, check out the numerous Bills-Raiders game photos from three weeks earlier where Kelly is in a Champion and most of the other players are in the fishnet Sand Knit jerseys!

Back to Mr. Gibson's Jim Kelly jersey. The combination of the following four issues seems unique and somewhat odd for a circa 1986 Sand Knit Bills jersey:
    1. Number font appears too thin.
    2. Font style does not appear to be exactly correct.
    3. Rounded neck is unusual for Bills jerseys of that era.
    4. Sand Knit tagging seems to be post-1986. When MacGregor took over Sand Knit in 1984, the tagging slowly evolved over the next several years. MacGregor wording was added to the bottom tag in small print by the mid-1980s and was later added to the top tag as well. By 1989, they went to the "crown" design on the bottom tag. Of the exemplars in my collection, I do not have a jersey prior to 1987 that has the MacGregor wording on both tags (such as the style on Mr. Gibson's jersey). Not to say that it wasn't included on both tags by 1986 - and collectors out there might have such jerseys - but I would need evidence to alleviate that concern if it were my jersey.

As we all know, there are exceptions to the rule with a prime example being John Elway wearing a Champion at one point in the mid-1980s while the rest of the Broncos sported Russell jerseys. However, the difference is that the Elway Champion jersey can be verified by photographic evidence. No one has presented a photograph or video reference to substantiate the Bills wearing the unusal style of Mr. Gibson's Jim Kelly jersey.

This is all just food for thought in an attempt to be helpful in pointing out some peculiarities about Mr. Gibson's Jim Kelly jersey and the Bills jerseys in general during this era, and to clarify several side issues brought up in this thread. I am by no means stating an opinion on this jersey one way or the other (other to say that it is unusual) nor am I questioning anyone's integrity, opinions, knowledge, etc., etc., etc. . .

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange

Quote Originally Posted by RKGIBSON View Post
    In the last AMI auction I won 3 jerseys, Ray Lewis, Mike Rozier and Dameyune Craig. Of those the Ray Lewis is a great piece that really make my collection better. I was able to inspect the jersey and photo match it before the auction. It was probably the easiest jersey I have ever photo matched. It was definately use in at least 5 games and I believe 6. He was wearing a different jersey vs the Bronco's 10/26/03. I cannot definately say vs the Jags 11/2/03 but it is not he same as the Bronco jersey. The following games he has this jersey on: 11/16 vs Dolphins, 11-23 vs Seahawks, 11/30 vs 49ers, 12/7 vs Bengals and 1/3/04 vs Titans. The marks on the shoulder occured in the Seahawk game and are easy to see. The hole in the LH sleeve occured in the Titans game.

The Rozier was photo matched to the 49er game 10/14/90 and the Bucs 12/2/90. I collect Heisman winners.

The Craig has a Panther letter was photo matched easy too, by two repairs on the LH chest, Jags 8/4/00 and Ravens 8/18/00 preseason. This is not a significate jersey but, I met Craig a Auburn while taking my son to football camp. I'm a big Aubun fan and he was a good kid, and most of all I like it.

Also earlier in the month I won the Jim Kelly with the team letter on Ebay. I really like this jersey also. I have not been able to photo match this jersey. I have only found one picture on Getty and one on is web site of his rookie season. Still looking.

I also got the 2 Florida jerseys, Fred Taylor and Mike Peterson from Grey Flannel. I matched the Taylor to the Arkansas game 10/4/97. It had shoulder repairs then. These jersey came from Greg Goslin, Eq. manager.
    Anyone wants picture of these jerseys let me know.

Has anyone else recently got any football items?

Roger
    Just wanted to add that i'm lovin the Ray Lewis jersey... actually looking for one similar myself currently. Seeing this one gives me even more motivation to look harder!

Im just curious do does the buyer RKGIBSON still have that Ray Lewis jersey, Im wondering if he has kept it or sold. Its one of the most amazing jerseys I have ever seen.

-Tony

Quote Originally Posted by spartanservitto View Post
    Im just curious do does the buyer RKGIBSON still have that Ray Lewis jersey, Im wondering if he has kept it or sold. Its one of the most amazing jerseys I have ever seen.

-Tony
    He sold it.
    Ryan

NFL game used collector

Banned

Another good photo of Kelly in 1986, in case anyone needs it.