Chris: I not that experienced in this area so I can't give an opinion as to its merits, however, speaking as a lawyer, there may be a different approach to this issue. As you said, there are many factors which would lead one, whether he be collector or an authenticator, to believe a particular item is game-used. Some like factory records, others like photo's, and still others a letter of provenance. All these are circumstantial evidence as to whether the item is game-used. This is true even if the ball player gives the item to you because, as we all know, certain ball players are liars, hard-up or cash, or just don't care (think Pete Rose and Jolt'n Joe). So, instead of asking for all your money back, why not ask for damages, i.e., the difference between what you got and what it now is worth. In other words, is it possible to have MEARS agree that your argument is "possiblly" correct and therefore the bat's worth is diminshed by a certain sum of money which they will compensate you with. You keep the bat and make full disclosure to the next buyer and they modify the cert. to take into consideration you comments.