Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Jim Rice game used bat help??

I am a huge Rice collector and need some help on a bat that is currently on eBay. This is my 1st attempt at purchasing Rice game used memorabilia. It's a model R212 and is 36" long. The description states that it could be from the early 80's.

Is this a legit gamer?

Thanks,
    Keith

Re: Jim Rice game used bat help??

Contact Michael Specht. They have access to Louisville Records on most of the guys from this period and have helped me a great deal with regards to my Kingman bat collection!!!

Bob

Hi Keith----- Here is the info you are looking for:

This bat was manufactured between 1980 to 1983 and has what is known as the "large new label." This label is indexed as C-21 in Vince Malta's new book. The model R212 was first made by H & B/Louisville Slugger on 5/7/80 at the specific request of Jim Rice , and was made off of a model B298 (Sal Bando model) Louisville Slugger and an Adirondack 288RJ (Reggie Jackson model).

Between 5/7/80 and 1/7/83 Rice ordered this model 14 times in the 36 inch length. Weights were between 33 and 34.5 ounces.... The total number of R212 bats ordered by Rice with those dimensions were approx 150 .

The key to dating this bat more specifically is the finish. Although it is hard to tell without physical examination, the pics appear to show a Natural Finish rather than a Flame Treated Finish. Almost all of the orders above were Flame Treated--- the only orders that were Natural Finish were shipped to Rice on 5/7/80 (12 bats-- his first order of this model) and 9/11/80(6 bats).... If the finish is indeed Natural, it would be specific to one of those two orders during the 1980 season...it is also possible that the bat has a Wax/Natural Finish, which would date it to 6/6/81. ..If it is Flame Treated, then it could be specific to any of the other orders within that period.

In addition, here are a few other links on Game Used Universe that deal with Jim Rice bats that may be of interest to you as a Rice collector.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=8132&highlight=Rice+bats

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=5438&highlight=Rice+bats

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=1411&highlight=Rice+bats

Good Luck...hope this info helps.
    Mike

Pretty thorough info. I would make a move on this bat if I were you - particularly if uncracked. Bats from guys in the 70's and 80's are getting tuff, and prices are reflecting that. Good luck -

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by skyking26 View Post
    Pretty thorough info. I would make a move on this bat if I were you - particularly if uncracked. Bats from guys in the 70's and 80's are getting tuff, and prices are reflecting that. Good luck -

Bob

Thanks Bobby.
    I hope to get at a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by MSpecht View Post
    Hi Keith----- Here is the info you are looking for:

This bat was manufactured between 1980 to 1983 and has what is known as the "large new label." This label is indexed as C-21 in Vince Malta's new book. The model R212 was first made by H & B/Louisville Slugger on 5/7/80 at the specific request of Jim Rice , and was made off of a model B298 (Sal Bando model) Louisville Slugger and an Adirondack 288RJ (Reggie Jackson model).

Between 5/7/80 and 1/7/83 Rice ordered this model 14 times in the 36 inch length. Weights were between 33 and 34.5 ounces.... The total number of R212 bats ordered by Rice with those dimensions were approx 150 .

The key to dating this bat more specifically is the finish. Although it is hard to tell without physical examination, the pics appear to show a Natural Finish rather than a Flame Treated Finish. Almost all of the orders above were Flame Treated--- the only orders that were Natural Finish were shipped to Rice on 5/7/80 (12 bats-- his first order of this model) and 9/11/80(6 bats).... If the finish is indeed Natural, it would be specific to one of those two orders during the 1980 season...it is also possible that the bat has a Wax/Natural Finish, which would date it to 6/6/81. ..If it is Flame Treated, then it could be specific to any of the other orders within that period.

In addition, here are a few other links on Game Used Universe that deal with Jim Rice bats that may be of interest to you as a Rice collector.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=8132&highlight=Rice+bats

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=5438&highlight=Rice+bats

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=1411&highlight=Rice+bats

Good Luck...hope this info helps.
    Mike

Thanks for the info Mike!
    You are incredible.

Keith

I have a Rice bat that is a M159. Did he ever order this bat and if he did, in what specs? Thanks CHris

Chris--Jim Rice is one of those guys who seemingly ordered almost every model bat made by H & B at some point of his career (think of players like Brooks Robinson, Ozzie Smith, and Willie McCovey.) That being said, however, a review of Rice's personal H& B order records between 7/7/1971 and 9/8/1989 does NOT document any orders of model M159 H & B bats by Jim Rice. Generally speaking, with a few exceptions, Rice gamers are going to be between 35 and 36 inches in length (sometimes 34.5 inches toward the end of his career) and around 33 to 35 ounces in weight.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com